• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Boot time is due to memory training. There's a setting you need to change in the BIOS to sort it out. Need to turn on memory context restore. Power down enable should also be on and Fast Boot should be off. It will slow boot once and from then on it will boot at normal speeds unless you update BIOS or change memory settings.

Thanks for that btw tried it later last night, now boots pretty much as it did on auto but now running at 6000 C30

Regardless of what you do, I'd not recommend a 8 core CPU in 2024 for gaming. Too many games take 8 core CPU's to the limit, you have to be very careful in Windows to close all other programs/services, which is not a good experience.
Not sure if serious. The vast majority of reviews have said that the 7800X3D CPU is the best CPU for gaming (plus I'm going to be developing with it, too).

And I'm pairing it with 64GB of DDR5 and a 7900XTX as well, so I'll have a minor GPU bottleneck rather than a CPU bottleneck.

Looks like a reasonably balanced machine to me.

Not sure if serious. The vast majority of reviews have said that the 7800X3D CPU is the best CPU for gaming (plus I'm going to be developing with it, too).

And I'm pairing it with 64GB of DDR5 and a 7900XTX as well, so I'll have a minor GPU bottleneck rather than a CPU bottleneck.

Looks like a reasonably balanced machine to me.

An example of a popular game which brings 8 core CPU's to it's knees is Cyberpunk. I tested this @ 4k, RT Ultra on a 4090 with 6, 8, 16 and 24 core CPU's. 6 core CPU was unplayable, 8 core was playable but had frequent dips in minimum FPS (lag spikes), while CPU's with more than 8 cores (tested with 13900k & 7950X3D as I own these) were completely smooth with no sudden dips.

Majority of games are going to play well on a 8 core - but with quite a few games now using all 8 cores, it leaves little room for doing anything else on your PC while gaming.

If you maintain a reviewer like system, where you only install Windows, drivers and the game, I'm sure you'll have a great experience. Though who wants to do this in 2024? Personally I like having Discord, youtube, spotify, dozen or so browser tabs, multi monitor etc, open while gaming. CPU's with more than 8 cores allow this.

8 cores is the minimum I'd recommend with a high end GPU, such as the 4090 or the 7900 XTX. Dave's point about Cyberpunk is valid, but 99% of games are fine with 8 cores. However for future proofing, we're now at the stage where you want 16 cores to pair with that top tier GPU in RT heavy games like Cyberpunk.

X3D brothers, I sold my much beloved and highly binned Hynix A Die kit to a young and virile @Speed (the latter claim is open to debate).

Therefore, I've switched to a new high bin DRAM kit that has become available (can't link to it here as OcuK don't sell it but it's visible in my Zen Timings screenshot) and I'm now in the process of manually tuning 8000Mhz CL34 on a 7950X3D.

The bandwidth increase is significant vs 6200Mhz, the Aida latency is the same or marginally better. Games generally show a performance increase vs 6200Mhz. Games that benefit from the higher memory bandwidth, such as Cyberpunk 2077, show a higher performance increase than others.

I may well post a YouTube video in the not too distant future comparing 6200Mhz CL26 tuned vs 8000Mhz Cl34 tuned in various games in CPU limited scenarios.

Please do not attempt to copy my settings, they are not plug and play and may not be stable on your CPU
Havn't really played around with ram timings for months, how much harder is it to tune for 8000 ?

Not all samples will do it, some top out at 7800Mhz. It's fairly easy though if you use the right timings and voltages with the newer BIOS updates.
Would 7800 still be better than 6200? Think I've got the same kit as your old ones (7800 G skill A die)?

Your new ones the Teamgroup ones ?

An example of a popular game which brings 8 core CPU's to it's knees is Cyberpunk. I tested this @ 4k, RT Ultra on a 4090 with 6, 8, 16 and 24 core CPU's. 6 core CPU was unplayable, 8 core was playable but had frequent dips in minimum FPS (lag spikes), while CPU's with more than 8 cores (tested with 13900k & 7950X3D as I own these) were completely smooth with no sudden dips.

Majority of games are going to play well on a 8 core - but with quite a few games now using all 8 cores, it leaves little room for doing anything else on your PC while gaming.

If you maintain a reviewer like system, where you only install Windows, drivers and the game, I'm sure you'll have a great experience. Though who wants to do this in 2024? Personally I like having Discord, youtube, spotify, dozen or so browser tabs, multi monitor etc, open while gaming. CPU's with more than 8 cores allow this.
Looks like I'm going to go balls to the wall with a 7950X3D and a 4090 now lol

I'm expecting $30,000/£23,000 next month sometime, so if I've got the cash I might as well spend it lmfao

Looks like I'm going to go balls to the wall with a 7950X3D and a 4090 now lol

I'm expecting $30,000/£23,000 next month sometime, so if I've got the cash I might as well spend it lmfao

I'd not pay full price for a 4090 at this point - we'll have the 5090 in a few months which will crush the 4090.

I had my 4090 in hand since the 13th October 2022 - IMO it's worth it's huge premium when considering you get top tier gaming performance for 2 years. Buying now for it to be eclipsed by the 5000 series in just a few months is not worth it.

I'm trying to keep my fingers off the buy button for the 7800XD. I know I should wait until the next CPUs from AMD. I guess it'll partly depend whether I become CPU bound in the universim next week. Seems fine at the moment though, 100% gpu use, locked 120fps with just 37% cpu use. Far cry/Avatar use about 80%, so I should just about get to the next gen of cpu hardware.

Last edited:
Would 7800 still be better than 6200? Think I've got the same kit as your old ones (7800 G skill A die)?

Your new ones the Teamgroup ones ?
Yes, should be and offer more bandwidth. Cyberpunk 2077 is one game that definitely benefits from the extra bandwidth of higher memory speed.

Last edited:
Yes, should be and offer more bandwidth. Cyberpunk 2077 is one game that definitely benefits from the extra bandwidth of higher memory speed.
What's a good starting point to start tweaking at 7800, should I just set the xmp profile?

Also the IMC on my 7950x3d is a bit naff, would that be a problem pushing higher frequencies?

Last edited:
Personally I would wait now and see how it performs, if it does turn out to be significantly faster the you can jump straight in, if not then the 7800 X3D`s will be cheaper then so it`s win win. You`ve waited this long, you might as well wait a couple more months.

Agree with this, benefit from FOMO users selling their 3D chips off cheap for minor performance upgrade on new (probably).

Agree with this, benefit from FOMO users selling their 3D chips off cheap for minor performance upgrade on new (probably).
That’s what I did, managed to get a 7800x3d for £250, i will sell my 7900x for around £220 and it’s only cost me £30, I was actually considering selling them both and then putting the extra £100 and getting the 7950X3d, but apparently it’s not as good as the 7800x3d

What I will say is the IMC on the 7800x3d is a bit crap, the 7900x ran my 6000mhz c32 @ 6400mhz c30 solid as a rock, I can’t get anything past 6000mhz c30 stable

I can't even enable DOCP on mine. My ram runs at like 5200 or something, not that it makes any difference that I've noticed in any games.

What I will say is the IMC on the 7800x3d is a bit crap, the 7900x ran my 6000mhz c32 @ 6400mhz c30 solid as a rock, I can’t get anything past 6000mhz c30 stable
Funnily enough, running higher memory frequency is actually easier on the IMC as you don't run in 1:1 mode but rather 2:1.

Usually it's just a case of finding the right settings in the BIOS for your chip. For example, I've tried 5 different 7950X3Ds recently and all of them ran 8000Mhz without issue.

The maximum FCLK ranged between 2067 (worst), and 2200. These of them ran 2200, one could only manage 2133.

Funnily enough, running higher memory frequency is actually easier on the IMC as you don't run in 1:1 mode but rather 2:1.

Usually it's just a case of finding the right settings in the BIOS for your chip. For example, I've tried 5 different 7950X3Ds recently and all of them ran 8000Mhz without issue.

The maximum FCLK ranged between 2067 (worst), and 2200. These of them ran 2200, one could only manage 2133.
So do you think going to say c32/34 and pushing for maybe 6800/7000mhz?, I did play with the FCLK but got loads of random restarts, so just kept it at 2033, on another note, is it just activate PBO on x3d chips?

Back
Top Bottom