• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So do you think going to say c32/34 and pushing for maybe 6800/7000mhz?, I did play with the FCLK but got loads of random restarts, so just kept it at 2033, on another note, is it just activate PBO on x3d chips?
Depends on what kit/board you have, and whether the memory is Hynix A/M die, or Samsung/Micron. Hynix A die is preferred, then M die. The other two are a bit meh.

I'd go up in baby steps and see what is achievable. Most boards and CPU samples should be able to run 6200Mhz without issue at 1:1. 6400 is a maybe, depends on board/cpu IMC quality.

To run over 6600 you need to run 2:1 mode (adjust in BIOS) and you can then look at 7000Mhz and higher frequencies. Best to look for kits rated at that speed and copy their stock XMP timings as a starting point.

On the latest Mobo BIOS, the board is usually fairly decent at setting the right settings for you in terms of SOC, VDDP, and VDDIO voltages. DRAM voltages you have to adjust yourself.

Depends on what kit/board you have, and whether the memory is Hynix A/M die, or Samsung/Micron. Hynix A die is preferred, then M die. The other two are a bit meh.

I'd go up in baby steps and see what is achievable. Most boards and CPU samples should be able to run 6200Mhz without issue at 1:1. 6400 is a maybe, depends on board/cpu IMC quality.

To run over 6600 you need to run 2:1 mode (adjust in BIOS) and you can then look at 7000Mhz and higher frequencies. Best to look for kits rated at that speed and copy their stock XMP timings as a starting point.

On the latest Mobo BIOS, the board is usually fairly decent at setting the right settings for you in terms of SOC, VDDP, and VDDIO voltages. DRAM voltages you have to adjust yourself.
It’s either Hynix A/M, not sure which though, as I said on with my 7900x 6400c32 was absolutely fine, but on the 7800x3d 6000c30 is all I can get

I was reading an article the other day that suggested per core the 7900 actually has more cache than the 7800 or 7950 (all X3D).

I play a lot of FS2020, so if there is truth in this, I believe it could be useful. Has anyone had both CPUs and can comment?

I specifically got a 7800X3D as from what I understood it was the best CPU for gaming due to being a single CCD.

Please educate me :)

I was reading an article the other day that suggested per core the 7900 actually has more cache than the 7800 or 7950 (all X3D).

I play a lot of FS2020, so if there is truth in this, I believe it could be useful. Has anyone had both CPUs and can comment?

I specifically got a 7800X3D as from what I understood it was the best CPU for gaming due to being a single CCD.

Please educate me :)
The thinking could be that because it’s a 6 core chip the cores have more 3d v-cache to use(splitting the V-Cache over 6 cores instead of 8), but that would only happen when your playing a game when your utilisation is using 6 cores only, so very few and far between. If your playing FS2020, I’m sure it would be beneficial to have more cores 8 or 16, than fewer cores with access to slightly more V-Cache.
get the 7800x3d or 7950x3d

Last edited:
It doesn't make any difference, so don't consider it as a factor.

However, I used a 7900X3D and can confirm it's still a beastly gaming CPU and just a tad slower than the 7950X3D in most workloads.

Hi, new poster here

I would appreciate any help from the experts here.

CCD1 on 7950X3D is no longer boosting to 5.7. I've had this problem before but it would go back to 5.7 when I reset the bios. I'm on a MSI X670E Carbon.

Right now, I'm using bios 7D70v1C, the last version before the beta. I tried the beta but that's when I noticed that CCD1 hasn't been jumping to 5.75. I've been monitoring on HWINFO. When I noticed that the top core speed was only going to around 5.4, I went back to the previous bios, but the pattern continued.

I'm using FCLK 2100 and all core CO of negative 20. This has worked for more than a month for me without any crashes. All cores speed is still about the same as always, around 5.0 on CCD0 and 5.2-5.3 on CCD1. I don't touch any of the other PBO settings. Performance is about the same but it's just annoying to see that my top core speed is no longer hitting what it used to.

The thinking could be that because it’s a 6 core chip the cores have more 3d v-cache to use(splitting the V-Cache over 6 cores instead of 8), but that would only happen when your playing a game when your utilisation is using 6 cores only, so very few and far between. If your playing FS2020, I’m sure it would be beneficial to have more cores 8 or 16, than fewer cores with access to slightly more V-Cache.
get the 7800x3d or 7950x3d
Yeah, I recalled that the six cores 5600X would beat the 5800X in certain games, likewise 5900X vs 5950X. It's not a big deal tho.

I think most games still really only use 6 cores. The extra cores probably help things run smoother because background tasks take up some CPU time. In general, jumping from 6 to 8 cores is less than 10%performance.

There is a common misconception that the 7900X3D completely turns off its non 3D cache cores when gaming. The fallacy being that a game only has access to 6 cores compared to 8 on the 7800X3D. This is an oversimplification because the 7900 X3D still has the luxury of 6 additional non 3D physical cores it can use for these non gaming tasks as long as the CPU scheduler is utilised well.

Parked cores do not mean totally disabled cores. It means that particular app or game is being told, don’t use these cores as they are not optimal for you. Those “parked cores” may still be used by other apps.

Last edited:
Hi, new poster here

I would appreciate any help from the experts here.

CCD1 on 7950X3D is no longer boosting to 5.7. I've had this problem before but it would go back to 5.7 when I reset the bios. I'm on a MSI X670E Carbon.

Right now, I'm using bios 7D70v1C, the last version before the beta. I tried the beta but that's when I noticed that CCD1 hasn't been jumping to 5.75. I've been monitoring on HWINFO. When I noticed that the top core speed was only going to around 5.4, I went back to the previous bios, but the pattern continued.

I'm using FCLK 2100 and all core CO of negative 20. This has worked for more than a month for me without any crashes. All cores speed is still about the same as always, around 5.0 on CCD0 and 5.2-5.3 on CCD1. I don't touch any of the other PBO settings. Performance is about the same but it's just annoying to see that my top core speed is no longer hitting what it used to.

Set your bios back to defaults and see what it does then, also have you been monitoring the temps?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom