• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN DDR4 MEMORY, WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW!

Associate
I thought I had it easy when I moved to the crosshair - took no time at all getting 4ghz cpu and 3ghz ram using docp profile which changed bclock.

Had successfully run all sorts of benchmarks including occt linpack, aida64, etc.

But last night got blue screen playing call of duty... Then it just kept restarting at post.
Have you tested it with HCI?

Like gavinh87 said, it's really close just not there yet (probably never was). A little bit of tweaking should do it.

Soldato
Ive had that also. Any oc fail ends up getting stuck in a post loop. Try increasing your ram voltage.

Thing is it wasn't just inputting values and have it fail. Those settings had been fine for a number of restarts and shutdowns, and passing all stress tests

It was only after blue screen it then had a hissy fit.

Soldato
Thing is it wasn't just inputting values and have it fail. Those settings had been fine for a number of restarts and shutdowns, and passing all stress tests

It was only after blue screen it then had a hissy fit.

I feel your pain. Remember my 3.9 overclock which started to fail so I had to back down to 3.8? That also passed every test I gave it but one day decided it doesn't like that anymore.
This board or platform doesn't recover well from a hard crash or bsod. Once I have a code 8 CPU crash, upon reboot i get an F9 crash. Then it will keep looping until I clear cmos, re enter my OC settings and then its fine again like nothing ever happened.

Soldato
Finally managed to built the two R5 1600 systems I've had for about 10 days now, one on an Asus Prime Plus, the other on the ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4. Both boards are OK, but the ASRock can run the same RAM with better timings, both on the latest BIOS. ASRock is solid 3200MHz @ 14-14-14-34 where as the ASUS struggles with 2933 at 16-18-18-38 even tried swapping the CPU's between them to see if that had any effect, and also left the CPU at stock to rule out instability.

Soldato
Finally managed to built the two R5 1600 systems I've had for about 10 days now, one on an Asus Prime Plus, the other on the ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4. Both boards are OK, but the ASRock can run the same RAM with better timings, both on the latest BIOS. ASRock is solid 3200MHz @ 14-14-14-34 where as the ASUS struggles with 2933 at 16-18-18-38 even tried swapping the CPU's between them to see if that had any effect, and also left the CPU at stock to rule out instability.

Ah that's interesting thanks for sharing. There is hope for people that can't hit 3200 yet!

Soldato
It hugs you in return lulling you into a false sense of security, then throws a strop for no good reason :D

I know exactly what you mean! Still can't use any bclk with decent timings though hoping for some decent memory dividers in new updates.
The on board sound is decent though, I've retired my sound blaster Omni now.

Associate
Good to see some of the cheaper boards getting good memory results.

What RAM are you using?

Since I'm interested in 32GB (2x16GB) and a mATX board I guess I might have to wait a bit longer though. Of course the cheapish 32GB kits are about the same price or lower than the 16GB kits with Samsung b-dies so I'd be happy enough if I could get those running at ~2800MHz as an extra £150-£200 for 3200MHz is poor value.

Soldato
Good to see some of the cheaper boards getting good memory results.

What RAM are you using?

Since I'm interested in 32GB (2x16GB) and a mATX board I guess I might have to wait a bit longer though. Of course the cheapish 32GB kits are about the same price or lower than the 16GB kits with Samsung b-dies so I'd be happy enough if I could get those running at ~2800MHz as an extra £150-£200 for 3200MHz is poor value.

It's Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3466MHz 32GB (4x8GB) C16 - only using two of the sticks, but these are being sold now as we need to have 32GB in at least one of the machines, with potential for 64GB in the near future.

It is in go faster Red, so maybe that's why they are working :D

Associate
It's Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3466MHz 32GB (4x8GB) C16 - only using two of the sticks, but these are being sold now as we need to have 32GB in at least one of the machines, with potential for 64GB in the near future.

It is in go faster Red, so maybe that's why they are working :D
Thanks. Will keep an eye out for when you get those 16GB sticks as the possibility of being able to later upgrade to 64GB is something I want as well.

Soldato
I have given up on 3200 for time being, got a nice stable machine at present running 2933.

One curious observation is that its equally stable at either 14-14-14-36, 14-14-13-36 or 16-16-16-32 with the latter giving better CineBench scores, although 14-14-13-36 had the best memory score in MemTweakIT, decided to stick with 16-16-16-32.

Associate
So I'm busy setting up a Ryzen system - 1800x crosshair VI, I bought memory for it (but haven't installed it yet so relatively easy to return/sell)

I have 32gb (4x8gb) GSkill - F4-3600C16D-16GTZ Manufacturer latencies (haven't tried anything yet) CL 16-16-16-36

Originally I was going to get 32gb, 2x16gb 3200 CL14 but when there was the kerfuffle about ryzen running better with 3600 and less sensitive to lower latencies I got caught up and ordered the above.

Now I've almost finished getting the parts together and wondering if I made the right choice. Basically:

1) What do people think the faster memory update for the bios is likely to achieve - is 3600 likely to be an option?
2) Even if I end up running them at 3200 - Realistically is cl14 likely to make any difference over cl16? Reading above etc. faster latencies don't seem to make much difference with Ryzen - I've wondered if this is to do with the whole L1,L2,L3 cache thing and the 2 control units?

Doubt I'll actually need 64gb but 32gb would be useful - I thought with the dual channel memory there was unlikely to be much downside to 4 DIMMS over 2 but was I wrong?

Realise this is all basically byers remorse and uncertainty - basically trying to learn from people who know more than me (should probably have asked before hand:))

Finally is Flare-X ram actually better for ryzen - is the "optimised for Ryzen" Thing anything more than just having timings that are compatible with the bios - are the Samsung B-die RAM likely to be as good?

Soldato
So I'm busy setting up a Ryzen system - 1800x crosshair VI, I bought memory for it (but haven't installed it yet so relatively easy to return/sell)

I have 32gb (4x8gb) GSkill - F4-3600C16D-16GTZ Manufacturer latencies (haven't tried anything yet) CL 16-16-16-36

Originally I was going to get 32gb, 2x16gb 3200 CL14 but when there was the kerfuffle about ryzen running better with 3600 and less sensitive to lower latencies I got caught up and ordered the above.

Now I've almost finished getting the parts together and wondering if I made the right choice. Basically:

1) What do people think the faster memory update for the bios is likely to achieve - is 3600 likely to be an option?
2) Even if I end up running them at 3200 - Realistically is cl14 likely to make any difference over cl16? Reading above etc. faster latencies don't seem to make much difference with Ryzen - I've wondered if this is to do with the whole L1,L2,L3 cache thing and the 2 control units?

Doubt I'll actually need 64gb but 32gb would be useful - I thought with the dual channel memory there was unlikely to be much downside to 4 DIMMS over 2 but was I wrong?

Realise this is all basically byers remorse and uncertainty - basically trying to learn from people who know more than me (should probably have asked before hand:))

Finally is Flare-X ram actually better for ryzen - is the "optimised for Ryzen" Thing anything more than just having timings that are compatible with the bios - are the Samsung B-die RAM likely to be as good?

Rumour has it that 1.0.0.6 update is the one that brings higher speed compatibility.
Latency doesn't do as much for ryzen as speed does. My 3dmark scores increased more with 3600 CL16 over 3200 CL14.
Nothing wrong with the ram you have, I'm using gskill rgb 4266 and running at 3200 CL14. (3600 was a little unstable and booting was hit and miss)
If for some reason you cannot hit more than 3200, that extra speed will still be there for when you upgrade the CPU in the coming years and I'm sure AMD will have memory speed nailed by then.
Flare x just appears to be samsung B die with a different heatsink.

Associate
Hello!
I'd like to ask if anybody here uses/has experience with the HyperX Predator module HX432C16PB3K2/16. Did you manage to get their rated speeds out of them?
It's rated for 3200 MHz on the qvl for the Gigabyte Gaming 3 motherboard (which I'm planning to use with it), so it seems like a safe bet, but I've also read about people not getting their ram up to their rated speeds so I'm a bit puzzled.
Among the few modules rated for 3200 it happens to be the only one sold where I live/I can afford, and I want to collect some information before deciding between this one or another cheaper module that's not on the list (yet).
Thanks for any replies in advance!

Associate
Hello. I bought the Gaming 3 along with Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (not on QVL), could do 3200 but not stable in Prime95 so I exchanged the ram to HyperX HX432C16PB3K2/16. You can not imagine the frustration. It wouldn't work at any other speed than 2400, every attempt was greeted with endless boot loops. Tested with multiple BIOSes, including the beta ones, up to F5. I gave up the board and the ram before F6 was released, so I don't know if the latest bios makes a difference.
Quite happy now with AsRock Taichi and two kits of the Corsair I mentioned earlier (4x8GB@2666).

Associate
That gives some base for my worries. I was initially planning to go with the same Corsair modules you mentioned, but saw people got different results based on the version of the kit they got (4.xx or 5.xx), and of course you only know which one you get after opening the package. As the Predator is only about 10% more expensive here it seemed to be a good choice, but it might also have a similar problem to the Corsair modules: sold as identical products there are multiple variations probably with different chips, and Gigabyte only tested with one of those. (https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/602rw9/anyone_using_kingston_hyperx_predator_ram_for/ <-bottom of this thread)
Thank you for your reply, I might just get the Corsair ones anyway and maybe hope for a qvl update before i get to ordering.

Associate
Thanks, interesting info. I knew about different revisions on Corsair, not so much about HyperX. Does this mean that QVL and sites like rymem.vraith.com can be sometimes worthless?

Associate
That could be the case, but i'm really no expert on this. I suspect the varying results for the corsair modules here http://rymem.vraith.com/detailed_ram/715 for example could be due to the different versions, but I don't see a way to tell if that's really the case. To be honest I'm very new to the subject, haven't built a pc in many years - got a lot of catching up to do :D

Back
Top Bottom