S2000 owners thread. 9,000rpm of goodness in here.

Ok so trying to fit the headunit. Taken the brackets off the original, but they don't line up great on the Sony? Also the screws seem too big (original screws from the honda?) any tips

Ignore my gammy dirty engineering fingernails
PXL-20240731-185607982.jpg

Think I need self tapping screws (headunit didn't come with any).

Will leave the car in bits and put the gear stick on to get to work :D

Last edited:
I can't remember what screws I used. I grabbed something that worked from my workshop.
Maybe try doing it with the cage that comes with the headunit. It should mount up reasonably well.

You will need 165mm rings for 6.5" speakers. The issue is the stock speakers are really shallow and you won't fit the magnets inside. The mounting holes are also not in a square.

[edit]
I may have led you astray. The speakers I bought are ASE165s which are 6.5". You look to have bought ASE130s which are 5.2". Those adaptors may work in that case. Either way, those will sound infinitely beter than stock. Just won't have as much low down.

Last edited:
I can't remember what screws I used. I grabbed something that worked from my workshop.
Maybe try doing it with the cage that comes with the headunit. It should mount up reasonably well.

You will need 165mm rings for 6.5" speakers. The issue is the stock speakers are really shallow and you won't fit the magnets inside. The mounting holes are also not in a square.

[edit]
I may have led you astray. The speakers I bought are ASE165s which are 6.5". You look to have bought ASE130s which are 5.2". Those adaptors may work in that case. Either way, those will sound infinitely beter than stock. Just won't have as much low down.

Oh no don't worry my mistake for not doing my homework! And when I linked the set, they look identical! It's just the size I got wrong.

I think like you say they will sound much better than stock, so I may just stick with it. Or try and if not just send them back or sell on eBay or something!

Regarding the cage, it doesn't seem to locate in the gap of the car at all really, not that I could tell at quick glance any ways. I'll grab some self tapping screws at work, probably M4 or 5 and see if it sits properly :)

When you come to mount the tweeters, you will want to snap the little welds that hold the stock tweeters to the stock bracket. That way you can re-use the stock bracket with the Focals.

When you come to mount the tweeters, you will want to snap the little welds that hold the stock tweeters to the stock bracket. That way you can re-use the stock bracket with the Focals.
Cool tip, thanks!

I'll save the speakers until I get bk from hols! Got some mounts from eBay on route for the main speakers.

Where do the plastic Focal boxes go then?

Before the bracket issue, I think I managed to get all the wiring right. Didn't see anywhere for this little blue one though. Paper work suggests it's something to do with security, maybe only in certain units/cars?

Screenshot-20240731-215431-3.png

Yeah, don't need that.
The back boxes (crossovers) can just be stuck somewhere inside the doors. I used high-strength double sided tape to stick them to the door skin. Just make sure the window clears them when you wind it all the way down.

Yeah, don't need that.
The back boxes (crossovers) can just be stuck somewhere inside the doors. I used high-strength double sided tape to stick them to the door skin. Just make sure the window clears them when you wind it all the way down.
Another good tip, ta!

well I've got a fun trip to france in mine, not for a top down holiday but to visit circuit de castres.. for 2 day track day in a few weeks.

need to change the oil and filter and get it checked over again to make sure it's ready to take the beating lol.

Looks really good, massive improvement, makes the bubbling on the 'airbox' look a bit more out of place, so looking forward to your posts on stripping that down soon :p

Today I removed the clutch delay valve. I'd forgotten about this little doodad and its shenanigans. I removed it from my last S2000 and had forgotten to do it to this one.
What it does is make the clutch softer so if you don't know how to drive you don't put stress on the drivetrain. What it does though is make the clutch feel vague and hard to operate smoothly.
I also polished the ball on the end of the piston to smooth the travel out.

First up, get the car up in the air and remove the clutch slave cylinder. It's on the passenger side of the gearbox and it attached with two 12mm bolts. The banjo for the hydraulic line is a 14mm bolt.

My car is surprisingly clean and corrosion free for 19 years old
IMG_1747.jpeg

IMG_1752.jpeg

I've removed the slave cylinder here. You can see the two bosses where it mounts and the release lever in the top left.
IMG_1753.jpeg

Here is the slave cylinder with the rod removed
IMG_1748.jpeg

You can see the casting marks no the end of it and how it's not smooth.
IMG_1749.jpeg

I stuck it in the lathe and hit it with some sandpaper and some scothbrite.
IMG_1750.jpeg

To remove the delay valve, pop the rubber boot off the valve area next to the bleed nipple.
Pick the snap ring out with a good, angled pick
Pull the delay valve out
Here's the delay valve removed
IMG_1751.jpeg

Put it all back together and bleed the system. Done.

Bleeding the clutch on the S2000 is a bit of a ****. I needed to use a pressure bleeder as it was the only way I was getting any fluid flow.

While I had the bonnet open I treated it to a nice new oil cap and a cover for the VTEC solenoid that was looking very rusty.
IMG_1754.jpeg

By the way, it's only facelift S2000s that have the CDV. Original ones don't have it.

Last edited:
I need to do that to mine really.. in general I may give my whole shifter assembly a "service"
I replaced the nylon bushing at the bottom of the shifter with a brass one. That made a nice difference to shift feel. Might as well while you have it apart.

Hey all! Back from holiday so thought I would look at the speakers.

Got the door card off etc no problems and disconnected everything. But now I'm stuck and have to give up for now as it's going to rain! Will attempt at weekend.

I don't understand how to wire it up. I guess the speaker and tweeter plug directly to this box, but on the other end I have 2 bare wires with no clue where to put them?

PXL-20240813-174703859.jpg

The two wires that come off the crossover go to the connector for your main speakers. Pop the speaker out and you can just unplug them.
You will remove the tweeter wiring and use the stuff that came with the Focals by the way. Don't try to plug the focal tweeters in to the Honda tweeter wiring or you will kill the Focals in about 5 minutes (the Honda tweeters have their crossovers built in, the Focals rely on the little black box).

The two wires that come off the crossover go to the connector for your main speakers. Pop the speaker out and you can just unplug them.
You will remove the tweeter wiring and use the stuff that came with the Focals by the way. Don't try to plug the focal tweeters in to the Honda tweeter wiring or you will kill the Focals in about 5 minutes (the Honda tweeters have their crossovers built in, the Focals rely on the little black box).

Thanks, I'll have another look! I did remove the speaker at the time but couldn't make sense of how these bare wires attached but I must have missed something in there! Cheers will have another go asap

Back
Top Bottom