Samsung 226BW grows to 24" model - The Samsung 245B Widescreen!!

Associate
I Phoned up and got my order changed to the Dell 2407, cost an extra £120 but who cares about a few tuppance :)

also payed a bit extra for saturday delivery :D

But yeh it does suck its taking its sweet time to arrive in stock.

Last edited:
Associate
Mark403 said:
I Phoned up and got my order changed to the Dell 2407, cost an extra £120 but who cares about a few tuppance :)

also payed a bit extra for saturday delivery :D

But yeh it does suck its taking its sweet time to arrive in stock.
Just did the same, the Dell + Sat delivery £116 extra :)

Associate
I want one of these too, but I'm not paying £380 for it. £340 or less seems fair when you compare the price to what it sells for in other countries.

One of reasons why we get ripped off is because we allow ourselves to be. While I agree there are more shipping costs to get over to the UK, I think the prices we get are actually not reflective. A lot of it is down to greedy retailers!! Remember how some started selling the PS3 at £399, which means the extra £25 hike was down to the retailers!! (As there has been no official price drop announced by Sony).

No offence to OCUK but I saved around £100 (!!!!) by buying my PC bits from another UK supplier. Exact same parts except for the case and graphics card (which I actually had to choose inferior on the ocuk quote as well). And I wasn't even spending a huge deal - my total bill on the other site was just £507 including delivery; Cpu/Gpu/2GB Mem/320GB HD/AsusP5bd/Thermaltake Case+psu/DVDr - all top quality componants.

My advice to everyone is always buy from the cheapest 'decent' supplier - luckily we have loads in the UK, and by always voting with our wallets we send a message out to the greedy lot. Same goes for manufacturers.

drunkenmaster said:
jesus, Gibbo is there anyway you can have a go at samsung and other people about their uk/euro pricing. its a joke, cpu's and plenty of other things actually aren't that much cheaper if at all compared to the US even considering the recent drop of the dollar. but jesus on lcd's its become a joke. this screen is $540 , thats £270, and around £315, and thats the closest they get, the sammy 244T, the benq's, the price difference is insane. i was reading a news article hinting at the fact that samsung among others ship screens specifically to be sold in europe and different ones for the US/asia, same screens, massively different price. how is it not illegal, ggrrrr.

not blaming ocuk here, just companies who just get away with it over and over again. exact same computers on dell site here and us are pretty big differences, sony are known to be a joke. some bluray player, stand alone was $1000 on sony's own site and £1000 in the uk, a lot of tv's are similar priced $ to £, obviously the PS3 is almost double the price here compared to us/asia and for a cheaper unit.

i REALLY want a 24" but their prices aren't dropping very fast and here half the screens are stupid, NEC screens, i've only had one, but that was, 4-5 years ago a 17" something, it was entirely superb, back in the days with 25ms responses and everyone talking about ghosting i loved that screen. everyone seems to find NEC to just get the best performance out of their screens, but you can already get 24" models for $800 there, and thats only a little more than our current 20" version. crying inside.

EDIT:- honestly i'm becoming disgusted with some companies, most companies treatment of the UK, i just can't understand how we can pay so much more and essentially subsidise the prices in other rich countries. IT seems to me that if any of these companies had a real excuse, then they, or any number of journalists would be able to provide REAL numbers for import costs, and other duties incurred that make it more expensive to sell here than the states. the lack of anyone being able to find these so call massively higher duties and importing costs that cause the high costs leave nothing else but the fact we are being entirely ripped off.

memory/cpus are very competitive here compared to world wide, so are a lot of items, just a few are insanely marked up here.

i'm entirely happy to pay more for a samsung or NEC screen than an ACER over here, but is it fair that you can get the NEC or samsung cheaper in the states than you can get a d-sub only ACER in the UK? my guess would be the NEC, 24" thats in the states that is what £460 there would be in excess of £750/800 here. i just can't find an answer as to why anywhere, and neither can anyone else.

Caporegime
theres deffo some of it down to retailers but most of it isn't. for instance with the sony example it was their very own only store that was charging literally double in the uk. while the ps3 also was overpriced, all stores have to have a mark up on items. i think they merely had to drop the usual mark up as unsold units sitting for weeks on shelves is bad for business. have 10 units for 4 weeks finally sell for a £40 mark up isn't as good as selling 300 units for a £10 mark up over the same time, its all about turnover.

i do try to vote with my wallet, and yes sometimes ocuk is more expensive, but just as often i find they aren't, prices can change daily and good deals can be had.

but, on dell's own site right now in the states the 2407 is $669 down to $569 right now, which is what £397 inc vat down to £334 inc vat. while their own uk store has it at £700 down to £528 right now. its ridiculous, and shipping prices, i don't see why they would be massively different to be fair. most stuff is NOT made in the states, so it costs money to send to the states and import duties, they can send directly from plants to the UK aswell so the shipping is just different. maybe because they have one shipping place in the states they can order massively higher quantities, but that only reduces cost a certain amount, shipping + import is simply NOT accounting for coming up on 100% price difference. companies are simply choosing how much they want to sell stuff at for different parts of the world and while i believe all the uk stores should band together and boycott companies till they drop prices, it would be extremely hard to do.

boycotting would take a while, kills sales and cause issues because you couldn't boycott just samsung, but all tft's, legal action might be the way to go though. but as i understand it, because these panels are being priced differently for different markets, people who buy sammy panels to put in their own monitors also have to pay the higher price for stuff they intend to ship to the uk.

Associate
Apart from trying to going official, the only real viable thing we can do is vote with our wallets. Or perhaps start buying from the EU - shouldn't be a problem if you use a credit card as your credit card company is half liable for stuff you buy with it anyway :)

Or perhaps we need to take a leaf out of the co-ops book, start a co-operative company which buys in bulk and passes the savings on to it's members :D

With regards to ocuk, tbh I don't think I've ever seen them cheaper than the other main etailers (at least 3 I can think of). That £100 saving was a big deal, esp when you take into account the end cost of just £507.

Associate
Hi Everyone!

First post here :) I've been watching the discussions from the shadows for a while and thinking about the whole TN panel thing. In the end I decided for use sitting right in front of it and gaming it really can't look that bad. So I've ordered one. I hope it gets into stock early next week *fingers crossed*

I'm gambling on my 7900GTO being able to drive this baby in WoW if I turn off AF/AA. Will keeping my 17" (Sharp LL-172G-B) as a dual screen for desktop use when gaming have much of an effect on framerates?

In the longer term I intend to by an 8800GTS to drive the card but my current plans are:

1. move to 4GB RAM
2. get 24" sammy
3. get new speakers (researching this now)
4. then get new graphics card, perhaps a 8800 respin if one is coming

Anyone got thoughts on ability of my current card to drive WoW on this screen?

Phasechange :)

Associate
Hi phasechange, welcome to the forums :)

I think it would be wise to have a look at some benchmarks of wow and compare the graphics card/ rig to yours.

Have a look here (Please bear in mind this is for burning crusade and there is no option for 1920 x 1200 which is max res on 24"):

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6164252/p-5.html

2048 x 1536, 7900gt 256mb = 58
2048 x 1536, 7900gtx 512mb = 82
1600 x 1200, 7900gt 256mb = 90
1600 x 1200, 7900gtx 512mb = 18

(Rig- Intel Core 2 X6800, Intel 975XBX2, 2GB Corsair XMS Memory (1GB x 2), 160GB Seagate 7200.7 SATA Hard Disk Drive, Windows XP Professional SP2)

Associate
Great post thanks. Although it looks like 1920x1200 is doable:

HardOCP
It also looks like my current card will be fine for driving TBC/WoW at this resolution. Running a Core2Duo 6600, 2GB (upgrading to 4GB), RaptorX setup.

Cheers,
Phasechange

Associate
£387 is a good price for the size/res of the monitor your getting. Samsung make very good TN panels and providing your sitting directly infront of it ( which 99% of ppl will be ) you wont tell the diff between a well configured TN or an S PVA. All i want to know is when is this monitor coming into stock because it was due on the 18th and its still not in and im itching to press the buy now button.

Associate
reading this thread it seems *** dell is the better choice but for an extra £120 is is really worth it

i intend to buy a new screen very soon and i decided 24inch would be a best choice as it would be a long term investment and allow me to use my xbox at 1080p hopefully

i'm not that much of a cynic when it comes to total visual quality so only really perceivable differences will bother me, neither will ghosting or using non-native resolutions

so it the samsung worth 120 less than the dell as i dont think it will fit my budget comfortably whilst the samsung is perfect

and lastly, when will the monitor be in stock (i suck as finding these things over google)

also what are the improvements in the '245t' version coming in, maybe worth waiting for if it keeps a similar price?

Back
Top Bottom