Samsung 24" and 27" CFG70 144 Hz / 34" CF791 100Hz VA FreeSync

Associate
I do use freesync when not strobing and there is only a flicker at the bottom of the desktop icons sometimes while freesync is enabled. Not enough for it to bother me and no other type of flickering like a flashing wallpaper etc.

Strobing at a locked 144hz is what this monitor excels at. Pure motion without blurring with my online games. I now prefer it and will only now use freesync when I can't have the full 144 fps.

I use the 3 profile buttons for freesync, strobing and night use with the brightness turned down.

I am willing to accept the few drawbacks of this monitor because the colors, black depth, contrast and speed are excellent in my opinion.

If you get one, check the motion for juddering and double images while moving as a December build I recently tested had those problems. My November build is satisfactory.

Just got mine hooked up last night and so far haven't noticed any problems with it. Can notice that the 4 corners of the screen tend to be darker at times. Should I do anything specific to test any problems as you mentioned with your Dec. model?

Associate
Just got mine hooked up last night and so far haven't noticed any problems with it. Can notice that the 4 corners of the screen tend to be darker at times. Should I do anything specific to test any problems as you mentioned with your Dec. model?
Try any fast paced game like black ops 3 and if you don't notice any juddering or double images on the edges of things then you may have a good one. Try reading the numbers on the red object while using 144hz mode in both windows and the monitor settings and with the fastest response time setting enabled.
It should be easily readable.

https://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=quebec.jpg&pps=960&pursuit=0&height=0

I feel I may have had a faulty one to be honest.

If you can run 144 fps then I suggest using the strobing feature by selecting the fastest response setting. It gives a wonderful blur free image but make sure to turn it off if you get any headaches from it.

I would be interested to know what your calibration sheet states as to the delta and gamma readings. My December model had a lower delta which was good but the colors didn't pop like my November model does.
I have mine on an arm now as the stand was too deep for my liking. I do love this monitor.

2017-03-01%2014.17.50_zpsbzd0avfy.jpg

Associate
Try any fast paced game like black ops 3 and if you don't notice any juddering or double images on the edges of things then you may have a good one. Try reading the numbers on the red object while using 144hz mode in both windows and the monitor settings and with the fastest response time setting enabled.
It should be easily readable.

https://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=quebec.jpg&pps=960&pursuit=0&height=0

I feel I may have had a faulty one to be honest.

If you can run 144 fps then I suggest using the strobing feature by selecting the fastest response setting. It gives a wonderful blur free image but make sure to turn it off if you get any headaches from it.

I would be interested to know what your calibration sheet states as to the delta and gamma readings. My December model had a lower delta which was good but the colors didn't pop like my November model does.
I have mine on an arm now as the stand was too deep for my liking. I do love this monitor.

2017-03-01%2014.17.50_zpsbzd0avfy.jpg

Thank you so much for the details and suggestion!
I clicked the link you provided and it is easily readable, but I do notice a double image/ghost effect on the Q as it moves. Is that okay?

I took a picture of my calibration test for you to see and if you get a chance allow me to see your November one as I am curious.

Image link: http://imgur.com/8WcugiB

Also, I am considering getting that arm for the monitor as it is currently taking up too much space on my desk and causing my keyboard to overlap with the base of the monitor.

Associate
If you only notice a slight ghosting on the letter q and not the red object then you should be good and maybe you have excellent vision and are more sensitive to it.

For a va panel this monitor is fast as the motion test shows. If you find any purple trailing in dark shades try increasing the black equalizer to see if it reduces it.

The monitor arm is a Duronic DM251X3 Single arm. It's very strong and makes the monitor more stable and less prone to wobble. If you get one and have any problems installing it, let me know.

The delta number on your calibration report is higher than mine so the colors must really pop. Here's mine.

2017-03-07%2022.56.47_zpscgggybjg.jpg
Give us a shout if you need anything else. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Unfortunately looking again I notice a ghosting on more than just the Q. The background windows have it and as well the large red object has it very slightly. I am not so sure about purple trailing, but looking further into the monitor I found out the firmware version my monitor is 1001.1. Apparently that means it is a September model? That sort of is upsetting since from reading a lot of the problems people mentioned were in the earlier models for this monitor.

Another thing I noticed people pointing out was clouding / backlight bleeding that apparently isn't suppose to exist. I took a picture of my monitor and will post that below.

http://imgur.com/HI2VnAW

Associate
Some September models were bad indeed. Improvements didn't come until November as you may know.

Looks like wherever you bought it from sold from old inventory. My firmware revision is 1004. If it was mine I would return it.

If you liked the monitor though then I would suggest purchasing from a different retailer.

Both the models I had showed minimal bleeding when I first turned them on as they were cold from delivery but as soon as they were warmed up they were perfect.

Associate
I purchased it on Overclockers UK on Thursday, 2nd of March. I find it quite odd that I ended up with an old version. :(
You haven't had it a full week yet so just return it.

Shop around and if you can't find one then I would recommend the Viewsonic XG2401. Even though it's a tn monitor it's one of the best imo. Check out the reviews first though.

Associate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2AGMFXAx90
After watching this video a really start thinking about purchasing this monitor.
Have they solved problems with a new firmware update or there is new revisions coming out soon?
Samsung has a 1440 version and Gsync options coming out this year. Not sure on dates yet, but if you can hold on, wait to see what these models bring and if this results in changes to the current line up.

Associate
I went ahead and got a replacement from OC UK and the replacement I was sent was worse than the first one with more severe bleeding/clouding problems. It was as well 1001.1 firmware. Turns out they sent me a *B* grade one when I was told it'd be a new one. The monitor had some aesthetic problems and the box it arrived in had tape over top of previously cut tape.

Then very much hoping for an adequate version of this monitor I went ahead and contacted OC UK again and was told that the monitor I had been sent was accidently a *B* grade and went through getting another replacement. The one I received now also had a prior opened box with tape sealed over cut tape. The calibration report is excellent with a max delta E of 1.41 and the firmware is now 1002.2 which has freesync ultimate engine. I was feeling satisfied with the calibration report and firmware version, but alongside terrible backlight problems again this one has multiple wide dark vertical bands that are noticeable during general use.

Does anyone else have these problems? I am not entirely sure what to do at this point and cannot tell if being greatly annoyed by the clouding and dirty screen effect/banding is being picky...

hJBhmF
dnG40a

https://ibb.co/hJBhmF
https://ibb.co/dnG40a

Associate
Look at the back of the monitor on the silver label and tell me what month it was built.

The November build I have has a newer firmware which suggests that ocuk have old stock.

Clouding and back light bleed can happen with any monitor, it's just not as common and as severe with va panels.

Looking at the pictures, the back light bleed doesn't seem as bad considering the camera may be exaggerating it.

The vertical bands are more worrying. I have seen a couple monitors and the bands weren't as many or as noticeable as yours.

If you like the monitor you are going to have to get it elsewhere as you keep getting older revisions.

Tekkas just bought one and is happy with it.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/best-1080p-144hz-monitor.18774113/

Don't give up. :)

Associate
Look at the back of the monitor on the silver label and tell me what month it was built.

The November build I have has a newer firmware which suggests that ocuk have old stock.

Clouding and back light bleed can happen with any monitor, it's just not as common and as severe with va panels.

Looking at the pictures, the back light bleed doesn't seem as bad considering the camera may be exaggerating it.

The vertical bands are more worrying. I have seen a couple monitors and the bands weren't as many or as noticeable as yours.

If you like the monitor you are going to have to get it elsewhere as you keep getting older revisions.

Tekkas just bought one and is happy with it.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/best-1080p-144hz-monitor.18774113/

Don't give up. :)

The build month is October again, so must be a late October this time compared to the two prior ones having a 1001.1 rather than 1002.2. The bleeding/clouding is actually just as much as the picture if not more in person at times as I took the picture quite far back. I will chase a refund and hope that OC UK can accommodate that at this point.

One thing I am just now noticing as well is that in the service menu there is something called "Watchdog count" and mine says 1 rather than 0, but not a clue what this is meant to represent.

Thank you again Davanius for helping!

Associate
Google Samsung CH711 and also follow the "Samsung monitors of 2016 introduced" thread on overclock.net.

I was pining my hopes on this model thinking 27inch, 1440p, VA, 100Hz+freesync, flickerfree. Thought this one might tick all the boxes that I want to be worth it but its only 60Hz.:(

I tend to have a mental block on PC hardware over £250 but was prepared to bite the bullet.

Associate
I was pining my hopes on this model thinking 27inch, 1440p, VA, 100Hz+freesync, flickerfree. Thought this one might tick all the boxes that I want to be worth it but its only 60Hz.:(

I tend to have a mental block on PC hardware over £250 but was prepared to bite the bullet.
Its not been confirmed that its 60Hhz, but if it is, Samsung will have a dud on their hands.
The problem is going to be that flicker, because looking at threads for the Agon AG352UCG, even G-Sync flickers. It does seem that VA panels have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom