Samsung Galaxy S... highest spec Android phone released... also with QWERTY!

Soldato
A colleague has just purchased a galaxy S and is having problems syncing his contacts.

He has copied them from his SIM to phone and set up his google account. He has then sync'd everything (including contacts) but nothing appears when he goes to his gmail accounts! The spinning circle spins for a few seconds them moves onto the next sync item (calendar etc).

Also when plugging the phone into his pc, sliding down the notification bar and selecting mount nothing appears on his pc! (Running on XP SP3).

Has anybody got any ideas?

I'd start off by installing the Samsung Kies application, available directly from the Samsung website.

It's their "sync hub" application amongst other things.

I had no trouble syncing my contacts and calender from Outlook with it, all went across painlessly. Admittedly I haven't tried to sync with GMail as I don't really use it, but Kies is definitely the place to start.

Associate
I'd start off by installing the Samsung Kies application, available directly from the Samsung website.

It's their "sync hub" application amongst other things.

I had no trouble syncing my contacts and calender from Outlook with it, all went across painlessly. Admittedly I haven't tried to sync with GMail as I don't really use it, but Kies is definitely the place to start.

I meant to mention that as well! When installing kies it says unpacking install files then disappears! It doesn't install and doesn't appear anywhere on his pc!

Soldato
I meant to mention that as well! When installing kies it says unpacking install files then disappears! It doesn't install and doesn't appear anywhere on his pc!

Hmm not really sure tbh, it just installed on my Windows 7 x64 pc. Double clicked it and on it went.

Does it cite compatibility with XP? If not then a system upgrade may be in order. If it does, perhaps fire off an email to Samsung?

The application installs system level drivers, so if it isn't compatible, then that might be why it won't install?

Associate
A colleague has just purchased a galaxy S and is having problems syncing his contacts.

He has copied them from his SIM to phone and set up his google account. He has then sync'd everything (including contacts) but nothing appears when he goes to his gmail accounts! The spinning circle spins for a few seconds them moves onto the next sync item (calendar etc).

Also when plugging the phone into his pc, sliding down the notification bar and selecting mount nothing appears on his pc! (Running on XP SP3).

Has anybody got any ideas?

On the hero you had to change the contact option to "google contact" or something like that before it would sync... could be the same with the samsung?

Man of Honour
I've been with Orange for yonks, and when the "1" button on my C902 today it prompted me to check my contract, and I found out my contract was up.

After a quick chat with retentions I now have the Galaxy S 8GB, 200 crossnet minutes, unlimited texts, "unlimited" internet for £15pm and the handset for a tenner.

Happy with that, this will be my first smartphone, looking forward to getting it on Monday.

Man of Honour
I've been with Orange for yonks, and when the "1" button on my C902 today it prompted me to check my contract, and I found out my contract was up.

After a quick chat with retentions I now have the Galaxy S 8GB, 200 crossnet minutes, unlimited texts, "unlimited" internet for £15pm and the handset for a tenner.

Happy with that, this will be my first smartphone, looking forward to getting it on Monday.

Ah, that is quite the upgrade. Hope you enjoy it! ;)

Caporegime

How long is that for mate? 24?

Man of Honour
Yeah 24, seems to be the way most things are done these days. I'm a really low user (I never EVER go over my minutes etc and haven't done so for years) so I doubt I'm really worth much to Orange.
They were willing to do the handset free if I stayed on a £25/pm contract with more minutes but I said I'd rather just pay the £9.99 now and enjoy the lower tariff.

Will post my thoughts on Tuesday when it will have arrived and given me a chance to charge it up. Matches my Samsung TV and Home Cinema too :p

Man of Honour
Indeed, a tenner is nothing really if it gets you a lower tariff :p

Its a very good phone, only thing it may fall short on is the camera, your C902 will probably be slightly better.

There are millions of good points to counter that though!

Soldato
Well I'm getting a Galaxy S from the dialaphone deal where you get a free phone with a contract term cost of £280 (inc. TCB). Will see how it compares with my x10 before selling one of them.

Soldato
Well Im gonna cancle my sim only plan and ive been looking around at a few phones, and not its between the desire and Galaxy S, a few of my mates have the desire and I kinda want to be different and hopefully show them up XD. Ive been shopping around for a Galaxy S and its seems to be more expensive in general, I found one decent offer so far and I wanted some input.

I found this on http://www.intomobilephones.co.uk
And its
# 300 Inc Mins
# 300 Inc Texts
# Plus Free Booster choice:
This is on T-Mobile, 18months at £25

I would like to keep on T-mobile as most of my family use it and have unlimited t-mobile mins althought I person get text it just makes life easier in general.

Finally I wanted to ask how easy is it to root the phone and install custom roms and so on, link would be a lot of help so I could just read up on it all.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Associate
Well Im gonna cancle my sim only plan and ive been looking around at a few phones, and not its between the desire and Galaxy S, a few of my mates have the desire and I kinda want to be different and hopefully show them up XD. Ive been shopping around for a Galaxy S and its seems to be more expensive in general, I found one decent offer so far and I wanted some input.

And its
# 300 Inc Mins
# 300 Inc Texts

I would like to keep on T-mobile as most of my family use it and have unlimited t-mobile mins althought I person get text it just makes life easier in general.

Finally I wanted to ask how easy is it to root the phone and install custom roms and so on, link would be a lot of help so I could just read up on it all.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Ahh excellent find, top cashback gives £45 as well for that website so phone is free!! :D
Only thing is its not due till the 17th so maybe other sites will release some better T-Mobile deals then?

Associate
A quick question, can anyone tell me what this phone comes with?

Obv it will have the 8gb internal memory I'd guess, not the 16 (Orange don't say), but does it come with an SD card too? Also does it have a slip-pouch or anything?

No SD card. No slip pouch. Mine just came with usb cable, headphones, power.

Not sure if anyone got it too, but my upgrade from O2 included an 8GB Micro SDHC... The box was sealed so not sure if it is standard for O2 or Samsung to include it...

Associate
And its
# 300 Inc Mins
# 300 Inc Texts
Thanks a lot in advance.

Looks like fair usage is 1gb and afaik getting it from tmobile will give you 3gb.

quidco
£80 for for pay monthly mobile contracts on £20 - £35 plans (including SIM only contracts)

But its 24months and £77 for the phone at £30 p/month

Soldato
Does anyone have any ideas on what contracts you need to be on to get one of these? My dads contract with O2 is up in august and he simply wants to keep his iphone (bwahahaha) but wants to move to orange so ive said to him to get his £35 a month contract and give me free pick of the phones and ill buy it off him for £100 or so (my hero is showing its age). In short, would Dolphin 35 on an 18 month contract be enough to get this phone for free? I dont care if it 8gb or 16gb as ive got a 8GB card already to bring the capacity up anyways.

Soldato
Looks like fair usage is 1gb and afaik getting it from tmobile will give you 3gb.

quidco
£80 for for pay monthly mobile contracts on £20 - £35 plans (including SIM only contracts)

But its 24months and £77 for the phone at £30 p/month

From what Ive been reading If i get it from 3rd party company then just call t-mobile up I can get them to switch me to the 3GB FUP and then use the booster for whatever I please so thats what i intend to do. Just need to wait for them to come in stock now, so excited XD.

Back
Top Bottom