Samsung Galaxy S... highest spec Android phone released... also with QWERTY!

Man of Honour
Arrived today.

First thoughts, it's ever so light. Not sure what people were on about with "flimsy" build quality comments - okay it's made of plastic but it doesn't feel in the slightest bit fragile. Easy and intuitive to use. Screen is crystal clear, lovely and bright!

The Mrs (who has an Iphone 3GS) had a fiddle with it for ten minutes and then announced it was almost indistinguishable from her Iphone.

Very happy!

Soldato
Arrived today.

First thoughts, it's ever so light. Not sure what people were on about with "flimsy" build quality comments - okay it's made of plastic but it doesn't feel in the slightest bit fragile. Easy and intuitive to use. Screen is crystal clear, lovely and bright!

The Mrs (who has an Iphone 3GS) had a fiddle with it for ten minutes and then announced it was almost indistinguishable from her Iphone.

Very happy!

getting more tempted by the Galaxy S day by day!

what phone did you have before mate?

Man of Honour
getting more tempted by the Galaxy S day by day!

what phone did you have before mate?

Sony Ericsson C902. Horrendous by comparison. Got use of an Iphone too.....the Samsung isn't quite as intuitive to use but I'll get used to it very quickly.
Go to a shop and have a play with a Galaxy, I preferred it to the HTC Desire but there really isn't that much in it.

Soldato
@lmfy2k Personal I would go for the galaxy S, to me it seems faster, the screen is just soo good man you have to see it for yourself, swype is actual really good and a lot faster than just typing too, and few other features. Overally there isnt too much in it So you should give both a try.

Also im getting my phone tomorrow and I was reading about rooting the phone and so forth, I just wanted to know if there was any decent ROMs out, and what really advantage would i get from rooting and installing custom roms, this is my first time using android so I dont wanna mess up xD.

Last edited:
Soldato
In the future, if the galaxy was rooted, could a vanilla android update be applied and the phone just work or are their tweaks that need to be made to android before it will work on individual phones?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
They're different, different radio images, different kernels, different hardware so source required from samsung (lol good luck with that :p).

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Some things can be swapped back and forth like the Launcher from Samsung ported to Desire as well as the widgets/live wallpapers but core things not so easy without a source.

Soldato
Since i've been constantly looking through the desire before i bought one,and have now got one of these phones. Are they any good Roms out which make it worthwhile rooting?

Also how hard is the rooting process? not sure im hotly confident about the ahd commands or whatever they are called :o

Soldato
ADW.Launcher is much betetr than touchwiz. Although I might be biased as I've been using ADW.Launcher in my last phone.

Just wondering, on people's back covers, where they punch the holes for the speaker, has the middle bit between the 2 holes lifted and not flat? I'm thinking of asking for a replacement back cover.

Soldato
@lmfy2k Personal I would go for the galaxy S, to me it seems faster, the screen is just soo good man you have to see it for yourself, swype is actual really good and a lot faster than just typing too, and few other features. Overally there isnt too much in it So you should give both a try.

dialaphone are doing a good deal on the galaxy s at the moment: http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/offer/18O230GAL0/search.aspx?oc=18O230GAL0 (2nd deal down - o2 100)

Phone free on a crappy o2 100 tariff, but its unbranded and unlocked, £20 for 9 months then downgrade to £15 for 9 months, then £35 back from quidco, no redemption either

9 x £20 = £180
9 x £15 = £135
quidco = -£35.35

= £279.65 spread over 18 months

chuck the sim in the draw and sim free galaxy has cost you £279.65 which you pay monthly for instead of lump sump, sim free ones go for £400

think its a pretty good deal if you have you own sim to put in the phone, like simplicity or another data tariff.

However i currently own a iphone 3g since launch and whilst i would like to go for a IP4, to me its not worth the price tag.

so decisions decisions! as they say..

Soldato
^^^

That is exactly what I've gone for and will use my existing contract. Very good deal, and there's no need to just chuck the sim in the draw :p.

Soldato
dialaphone are doing a good deal on the galaxy s at the moment: http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/offer/18O230GAL0/search.aspx?oc=18O230GAL0 (2nd deal down - o2 100)

Phone free on a crappy o2 100 tariff, but its unbranded and unlocked, £20 for 9 months then downgrade to £15 for 9 months, then £35 back from quidco, no redemption either

9 x £20 = £180
9 x £15 = £135
quidco = -£35.35

= £279.65 spread over 18 months

chuck the sim in the draw and sim free galaxy has cost you £279.65 which you pay monthly for instead of lump sump, sim free ones go for £400

think its a pretty good deal if you have you own sim to put in the phone, like simplicity or another data tariff.

However i currently own a iphone 3g since launch and whilst i would like to go for a IP4, to me its not worth the price tag.

so decisions decisions! as they say..

Where does it say about downgrading.

Back
Top Bottom