Samsung Galaxy S... highest spec Android phone released... also with QWERTY!

Soldato
I just got mine and I sure do love this phone, so far i rooted, flashed it to JG1 and now I installed MRC R2. I did have one problem which is connected to my Laptop, i just cant seem to transfer data driectly to the phone So i just use my SD card. My next step is to installed launcher Pro and give that a try.

Couldn't link me to a step by step guide could you ;)

What benefits does it have apart from customs rom (which seem to be limited at the moment) and full backups?

whats the word on 2.2 coming out for it?

Also having trouble getting ti connecting to my sky router (white netgear one) , seeing it and and putting the correct wep key in but just keeps saying unsuccessful any ideas?

L33

L33

Permabanned
Couldn't link me to a step by step guide could you ;)

Somebody on xda-dev has made complete tutorial videos for flashing the Galaxy S:
Part 1&2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpWcM44On88
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzFE8-jWku0

I'd strongly recommend upgrading to JG3 rather than JG1 though. Although JG3 won't work with the custom modaco R2 rom it is much better in my opinion, far far quicker. The R2 rom doesn't change anything that can't be done easily anyway.

What benefits does it have apart from customs rom (which seem to be limited at the moment) and full backups?
Lots of the more powerful utilities, theming etc require or are made much easier with root access, like you say full backups etc are an example.

whats the word on 2.2 coming out for it?
Samsung have confirmed it definitely is. 2.2 will be released for Korean handsets in August with 'other regions following soon after'....

Also having trouble getting ti connecting to my sky router (white netgear one), seeing it and and putting the correct wep key in but just keeps saying unsuccessful any ideas?
It does seem a bit finicky with wireless, have you tried setting the router to use WPA/WPA2 rather than WEP?

Soldato
Thanks fof those links, if it all does tit's up can you un brick them like the Desire?

Well i used those same links posted above and its really simple dude cant really see anything going wrong. Just make sure to watch it twice and put the right files in odin rest is pie :D.

@L33 Im using the R1 Rom and i was wondering If i could go back to custom and just Flash it to JG3 since you said it was faster, I get quite a few lag spikes on this and its abit annoying. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Is it worth flashing your Galaxy S? If i actually find out what good it will do i might try it lol

You and other lazy sods like Fallen God can find all this info with 5 minutes of Googling and actually reading the info in this thread. If after this you still don't understand what rooting is or what it does, then maybe you shouldn't be doing it. ;)

L33

L33

Permabanned
@L33 Im using the R1 Rom and i was wondering If i could go back to custom and just Flash it to JG3 since you said it was faster, I get quite a few lag spikes on this and its abit annoying. Thanks in advance.

You can just flash JG3 over the top and it'll remove the R1 rom anyway :) May be worth doing a full backup and ticking 'repartition' in odin. I too was having stuttering/stalling issues with the stock firmware and JG1, but for me they're almost non-existant with JG3.
I think until samsung 'fix' the issue, the only reliable way to make the phone run smooth as silk is to use mimocans fix/workaround. JG3 still makes massive improvements though so samsung must be working on it.

Soldato
FFS...wonderful phone, so happy...except the Kies software won't work with W7 64 bit...have googled for hours and many other people having the same problem. It won't recognise as mass storage either, will however let me sync with WMP.

Man of Honour
FFS...wonderful phone, so happy...except the Kies software won't work with W7 64 bit...have googled for hours and many other people having the same problem. It won't recognise as mass storage either, will however let me sync with WMP.

Mate I have Win 7 64 bit and after a bit of fiddling new got it working.I think I left the tab with the directions open on Fire fox at home so will check it when I finish work

Associate
Seriously considering getting one of these.

One question though if anyone already knows, or could perhaps try it out. Can the phone play a mixed album of MP3s without putting a gap between each track?

Thought I read elsewhere that it puts a pause between each MP3, but flac and ogg files it doesn't? Can anyone confirm this? If so would that just be the built in player and are there alternatives on the market place that play MP3s gapless?

Having got one now I can confirm to myself that it does pause between tracks. Anyone know of a player that doesn't that I can get?

Soldato
Bought one of these for the wife the other day from CW. Very impressed with it, screen is very nice indeed. Was going to get her a Wildfire but the screen was so poor compared to my Desire so ended up spending the extra on this, well worth it although now it makes me think I want one for myself :p

Soldato
Dial a phone deal looks to be gone now..

Just got my this e-mail

Dear Mr , Customer Reference:

We regret to advise you that, O2 (UK) Limited have informed us that they are unable to proceed with your application as their status criteria has not been met on this occasion. Therefore we are unable to despatch a handset to you.

Due to data protection, O2 (UK) Limited have not provided the reason for their decision and unfortunately we are not able to assist you further in this matter.
don't forget payasyougo

Please remember that even though your application was not successful you can still benefit from the Dial-a-Phone Recommend-a-Friend scheme that entitles you to £20 for every successful recommendation you make.

Yours sincerely
Dial-a-Phone Customer Care

What a joke I think they over sold them.

Soldato
Just got my this e-mail

Dear Mr , Customer Reference:

We regret to advise you that, O2 (UK) Limited have informed us that they are unable to proceed with your application as their status criteria has not been met on this occasion. Therefore we are unable to despatch a handset to you.

Due to data protection, O2 (UK) Limited have not provided the reason for their decision and unfortunately we are not able to assist you further in this matter.
don't forget payasyougo

Please remember that even though your application was not successful you can still benefit from the Dial-a-Phone Recommend-a-Friend scheme that entitles you to £20 for every successful recommendation you make.

Yours sincerely
Dial-a-Phone Customer Care

What a joke I think they over sold them.

What stage did you get to on the order before receiving this mine is currently at

Jul 13 2010 4:50PM Credit Check Pass Event Credit Check Pass Event
Jul 13 2010 12:06PM Update Your mobile phone order is currently being process...
Jul 13 2010 11:36AM Order Confirmation Order Confirmation

In the box next to the credit check pass event it says

Thank you for your recent order. Your order has now been successfully processed, as detailed below:

Item
Model Samsung Galaxy S Black
Tariff O2 100 - 100 Anytime Any Network Mins + Unlimited Txts
Network O2
Free Accessories
Insurance 1 month free insurance

Delivery Information
Delivery Date 15 July 2010
Delivery Address removed

Your order will be despatched shortly, and as soon as it leaves Dial-a-Phone we will email you a final confirmation.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's clearly a misprice. No way they are getting enough commission to pay for the Galaxy S.

Surprisingly the deal has been running for quite some time (check hotukdeals where it wasn't even voted hot). But its relatively low exposure on the internet probably explains that. Luckily I ordered ages ago and received the phone last saturday.

Soldato
I have a couple of quick question:

I am an old hero owner and have just bought an iphone with some insurance cash. The iphone has some major problems for me and I am considering going back to my beloved android.

I think the strongest challenger to the iphone is the galaxy. I have a 14 dya return on the iphone and am absolutely happy to do so, so please dont yell fanboi or some such nonsense to my questions below:

1) is the galaxy actually smooth- the unit i played with in the shop was worse than my hero in terms of smoothness. It really disappointed considering the technical specs of the processor etc

2) who has faith that samsung WILL actually bring froyo to the galaxy s after the fiasco of the last galaxy?

Back
Top Bottom