Samsung Galaxy S... highest spec Android phone released... also with QWERTY!

Associate
1) is the galaxy actually smooth- the unit i played with in the shop was worse than my hero in terms of smoothness. It really disappointed considering the technical specs of the processor etc

Mine is certainly smooth. I would imagine that the one in the shop has been played with a lot and therefore has tons of apps open and is therefore running low on memory. Any app killer will sort that out.
I find mine just as fast as an iphone.

Soldato
Thought i give them a call and they said if its been released to Oracle it means it will be out for delivery tomorrow, if anyone else ordered one and wondering from Dial a phone.

Man of Honour
FFS...wonderful phone, so happy...except the Kies software won't work with W7 64 bit...have googled for hours and many other people having the same problem. It won't recognise as mass storage either, will however let me sync with WMP.

On the phone settings, unmount the internal memory card, then remount it. I Set the USB connection on the phone to Samsung Keis (rather than Mass Storage or anything). Reboot the phone (essential!)

Run the Keis software and connect the phone - it should now work. Worked for me perfectly, I was fiddling for ages and ignoring the reboot step, it's essential for the above to work.

Associate
I've had no issues regarding smoothness as you put it. Samsung have said 2.2 is getting a Korean release in august. I would imagine it will follow on globally a few weeks after. Given that they are about to release 5 variants in the states over the next month I can't see them neglecting this.

They also said they are going to try and push more into the smartphone segment, it is where they have been weakest in their range up till now. Given the strides they have made since the D500 slide phone came out I've got faith.

There will always be the fall back on custom roms as well! Though in all honesty it is plenty good as it is now.

Going back to my posts about gapless MP3 playback, this is an issue with all android phones currently. It hasn't been addressed in 2.2 either from what I have read. MP3 wasn't meant to support it in the first place. There is a player you can download for free that you can set a time in ms to remove the gap. Too much messing around for my liking, converting the MP3s into .ogg works. I just converted a 889 track mixed playlist into it and testing out on the phone now, works a treat.

Battery life also seems fine so far, though I've only had it about 36 hours. Will see how it goes.

Soldato
You can just flash JG3 over the top and it'll remove the R1 rom anyway :) May be worth doing a full backup and ticking 'repartition' in odin. I too was having stuttering/stalling issues with the stock firmware and JG1, but for me they're almost non-existant with JG3.
I think until samsung 'fix' the issue, the only reliable way to make the phone run smooth as silk is to use mimocans fix/workaround. JG3 still makes massive improvements though so samsung must be working on it.

Thanks for the helping dude, im downloading JG3 right now and I noticed that there was JG5 out which I assume is newer, Would that be faster/better?

Soldato
Well i tried doing some research and i couldnt find anything so I was just wondering, if its possible to sync facebook with contract on galaxy s. So far I find it doesnt but maybe theres a app that could do it. thanks in advance dudes.

Soldato
Anybody ordered/received a Zenus case yet?

Looking to get a flip style one to replace my Mofi pouch, and torn between the Zenus and the Pdair ones! :confused:

Soldato
Mine came today sweet phone the screen is far superior to the Desire one, in direct sunlight i found this superb well impressed and overall the screen looks far far better also.

I have put my 16gig sd card in from the Desire but when the phone tries to connect to the pc it just won't but soon as i take out the micro sd card it works fine, anyone got a work around idea for this.

Soldato
Thanks for the helping dude, im downloading JG3 right now and I noticed that there was JG5 out which I assume is newer, Would that be faster/better?

looking on xda forums, JG5 supposed to be very fast and looks like the lag has gone :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=725194 (read whole thread!) might have to use the 512 pit file which is attached to one of the posts on that thread

getting my SGS this evening so downloading all the relevant files ready for flashing later.

looking forward to it :)

Soldato
Does flashing newer ROMs completely wipe everything? Also, I'm curious as to how Samsung will send updates, as there doesn't seem to be an OTA feature.

Soldato
Been looking at some of these firmwares there is 3 of them out now JG1/JG3/JG5 i have found a guide on youtube to load JG1 but i was wondering can i just load the JG3/5 rom on using the same idea, link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpWcM44On88

I did the same thing on that guide for JG1 and then for JG3, i plan to do the same thing for JG3 later on too.

@ghost101 while you are flashing there is an option to delete eveything on the phone which i think is recommended, but you can use mybackup to save all your apps then restort it afterwards once you have flashed to a newer rom. Ive used it twice so far and works fine each time.

Soldato
OK I missed (got rejected) from the dialaphone 20pm deal

Hows this deal

Handset only £29.99.

£25 tariff on the T-Mobile network.
Unlimited Internet on your phone.Unlimited Internet booster
300 mins
300 txts
£25.00 per month
Free next day delivery!

I can pick another free booster (unlimited Texts)

£40 cash back from quidco.

Any better deals

Back
Top Bottom