Samsung Galaxy S... highest spec Android phone released... also with QWERTY!

Soldato
I wont be rooting mine unless samsung take their time on the 2.2 release. It runs perfectly fine out the box. The mp3 player has really good sound quality, much better than an IPOD.

Not sure how as the lag/stall on this phone is common its to do with the on board storage the experts at xda seem to think hence this fix to get it from there, mine out of the box was ok to start with then it went slow and i was waiting for applications to open and the phone would just lag.

Still loving the HD recordings on this phone the quality is sweet as.

Caporegime
Well, I've made my mind up, I am getting this phone. Is it worth bothering with the 16gb version or just stay with the 8gb?

Iirc only Vodafone sells it as a 16gb model, without memory cards anyway.

Will either buy this from Carphone or Vodafone directly : £35 pm, 900 mins, unlimited texts and 1gb internet.

Just noticed on Carphone there is a deal for £30 @ 24 months, 300 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited internet. However, on the £35 @ 18 months tariff you get 600 mins but it doesn't mention the restrictions, if any, on internet usage like if it's 1gb or 500mb or unlimited.

Last edited:
Soldato
Everytime I look at one of these in a shop, there seems to be micro lag/stutter. Is this a programming thing or a screen refresh rate problem? It is the last hurdle before I return my iPhone 4 for one of these.

I am concerned that this is a refresh rate problem that can't be fixed.

Soldato
Thought i let you guys know i did that stall fix and it makes a huge difference on performance, It wouldn't work on my 16gb card but i had a spare 2gb lying about and it worked a treat its made the phone fast.

going to try this today as my sd card arrived

how do i format the card to ext3? and do i need to root first before doing this fix?

Soldato
Would be interested in this also ............

Edit would ask on XDA forums but you get burnt at the stake if you try and ask a question:rolleyes:

hahaha yep, thats why i posted it here :)

well i just used this tutorial to root the SGS: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728754 very very simple

and ive installed busybox from the market (free)

im just looking to see how i format the sdcard to ext3 now, will report back when i find out!

the guide says:

-- use gparted or paragon hard disk manager to make the partitions and format them (just google how to do this)

Soldato
I just downloaded the Ubuntu 10.04 Live CD, burnt it to disk, booted from that (selecting 'Try out Ubuntu' and not 'Install Ubuntu' when it loads), and navigated to Gparted from there, easy peasy, lol! ;)

Associate
Yes it does audio as well.

3.5mm jacks have extra capacity for remote controls etc.
It isn't the best quality as it is composite video I guess, it is only 2 wires I think for composite and stereo audio would require 4 also.
So I suppose it just has 6 cables instead of 4.

It is pretty handy but the only time I have wanted to use it I haven't had the cable. Might keep it in my car.

Would have preferred a HDMI socket however.

Tried it out with IT Crowd on a 720p TV last night - worked perfectly. I'd say it's a good fit for 720, maybe not 1080. Very useful to have around.

Edit: I really want GelaSkins to produce covers for the SGS. Anyone else feel like emailing them to let them know that there's a market for this?

Last edited:
Soldato
I just downloaded the Ubuntu 10.04 Live CD, burnt it to disk, booted from that (selecting 'Try out Ubuntu' and not 'Install Ubuntu' when it loads), and navigated to Gparted from there, easy peasy, lol! ;)

i just downloaded paragon app, seemed to of worked ok

did the adb shell commands and i think i have done it

quadrant standard
before: 834
after: 1081

thats on a trancend class 6 8gb microsd card

does that seem about right?

ext partition has these folders:

Data
Lost+Found
Media

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ok, about to pull the trigger on a deal with Orange (Dolphin) via Carphone Warehouse : Galaxy S 24months, unlimited texts and internet use, 500 minutes, all for £30 per month. Since it isn't Vodafone will it be likely I get the 8gb model? Does that matter?

Also, is it worth taking out the insurance?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ok, thanks. :)

Ordered.

Suppose I should be grateful for bank security, just had a call, card is updated and have put order through again.

Last edited:
Associate
Apologies if this has been asked already - but is there any word on the 'Pro' version with hardware qwerty? Tentatively holding my breath!

Associate
I'm not sure if it's going to be released in the UK. I know that it'll be one of the versions in the US.

To be honest, I thought I'd miss a qwerty keyboard, but the screen's so big and swype works so well that I hardly notice the difference.

Associate
Just ordered one of these so shall read most of this thread when i get it tomorrow

Got a good deal i think:

Orange
250mins
Unlimited texts
500mb internet
Insurance
£24.00 24 month contract
Total over 24 months = £576

Loads better deal than the iphone .. would have paid close to £800 for iphone 24 months !

:)

Soldato
Don't know if its been mentioned but you can get these unbranded and unlocked (they are on PAYG still) 8gb with free 8gb sdcard in o2 stores for £329. Major Bargain!

dis

dis

Associate
Don't know if its been mentioned but you can get these unbranded and unlocked (they are on PAYG still) 8gb with free 8gb sdcard in o2 stores for £329. Major Bargain!

Really? unlocked? If thats right i think i'll pick one up tomorrow :) Best i'd seen so far was around £400 sim free

Back
Top Bottom