Samsung LS34E790C - Curved 34" 21:9 super-wide

Associate
I have had mine since the end of May. I love it. I tortured over this and the LG. I stood in the store just playing with them both. I had my sister with me and I think she was getting ready to bop me on the knoggin'. But I got this Sammy and I love it. My last monitor was a TN panel from Acer a 27" 120hz 3d one. I still use it. It had very good colors and the 120hz as I played Skyrim was very nice. But it had issues with light bleed at the top and bottom of screen and the blacks were not as satisfying as this Samsung.

I know it is not IPS but seriously big deal. IPS is overrated at best. If I had to suffer with the light bleed again...no way! This panel is darn good. Once you get it set up it is hard to beat. Beautiful colors fabulous blacks and the uniformity is just fine (there is where IPS wins uniformity or it is just this monitor). I calibrated it with Xrite i1 and it looks amazing.

Brightness: 15
Contrast: 75
Sharpness: 60
R: 50
G: 46
B:38
Mode 3
Spot on in calibration at 6502k at 120 lumen.

Love this beautiful monitor. Witcher3 looks great, Skyrim makes me so happy. Can't wait for Fallout 4.

If I were to just make one observation, I have never had a monitor where the brightness
has to go down so low. More than 30 brightness and I will have retina burns. But the definition between lights and darks on 2d wallpaper is amazing. so much depth. Yup I am loving it.

Soldato
I just upgraded to Windows 10 and now most apps are all blurry!!! UGH. Had it spot on with Windows 8.1 for the most part. No changes in monitor settings..

Are you sure you didn't play with ClearType on 8.1? You may have to do so again on Windows 10, although perhaps it remembered your settings anyway. Do you mean apps as in 'apps' or programs?

Associate
So I am in a real dilemma at the moment. I Nedd a new monitor to replace my 10 year old Dell and this one has caught my eye.

Going to be using it for mostly gaming and browsing, BF4, L4D2 etc and unsure if this is good enough for gaming or should I be looking for something like the Rog Swift?

Anyone tried one and then used the other with similar use case? Anyone got any advice on why this is the best monitor? Just need to see if I can break the stalemate in my head.

Soldato
So I am in a real dilemma at the moment. I Nedd a new monitor to replace my 10 year old Dell and this one has caught my eye.

Going to be using it for mostly gaming and browsing, BF4, L4D2 etc and unsure if this is good enough for gaming or should I be looking for something like the Rog Swift?

Anyone tried one and then used the other with similar use case? Anyone got any advice on why this is the best monitor? Just need to see if I can break the stalemate in my head.

i used to have a 120hz monitor and i get on just as well with the sammy even in games like cs go

Associate
The only noticeable drawback with the Samsung compared to all IPS panels (ie.. all of the rest) is that it's susceptible to banding in gradients and there's the black, oily crush seen in night time games (Elite, Arma 3.. but there is a fix). I am very sure I made the right choice in switching teams from LG to Samsung however.. BLB is far far more noticeable than the odd banding issues in skies and very very occasional websites (Steam).

Another has been text crispness.... yes the LG panels are better, there's no doubt about that, but for me it's perfectly clean and in no way does this panel induce headaches or anything like that.

You've always got to bear in mind that favourable comments for products are prone to 'confirmation bias', whereby owners want to justify their purchase and give it a good spin, even though the product is 'a bit ****'. I do stand by my observations on this monitor - it's the best of all of them (barring having to HW calibrate the *******).

Associate
Hey guys, can you check your monitor for panel uniformity issues (dark bands/patches) using this test image?
It's a flat gray image and I've found it's one of the colors that greatly exaggerates the flaws in your screen. My screen has dark bands going across it and wanted to get an idea on how common these defects are on this panel.

Soldato
Hey guys, can you check your monitor for panel uniformity issues (dark bands/patches) using this test image?
It's a flat gray image and I've found it's one of the colors that greatly exaggerates the flaws in your screen. My screen has dark bands going across it and wanted to get an idea on how common these defects are on this panel.

I don't see any banding at all with that image, or my sight is terrible. I think I'm very lucky with this screen given some of the examples I've seen.

Associate
I don't see any banding at all with that image, or my sight is terrible. I think I'm very lucky with this screen given some of the examples I've seen.

I don't mean gradient/color banding like your'd see in Steam's default UI or in Dota 2 main menu, but more like dark streaks that kinda look like pressure points or dirty screen effect. The gray helps to expose those, but you would have noticed those if you had any by now.

Soldato
Just picked up this monitor and im super impressed coming from a 24" screen.

Can someone explain why everyone is setting response time to standard?

Also has anyone managed to get any sort of overclock out of theirs?

Associate
I don't mean gradient/color banding like your'd see in Steam's default UI or in Dota 2 main menu, but more like dark streaks that kinda look like pressure points or dirty screen effect. The gray helps to expose those, but you would have noticed those if you had any by now.

Yes I get that with that image, but it is not noticeable at all anywhere else in use.

@.:SAmSuNG:. - faster settings create ghosting. A silly setting and useless. I'm don't think we can on this panel.... may be wrong.

Associate
Just picked up this monitor and im super impressed coming from a 24" screen.

Can someone explain why everyone is setting response time to standard?

Also has anyone managed to get any sort of overclock out of theirs?

Standard setting is best as the others all produce artifacts/ghosting etc.

The panels do overclock a little but not without fram skipping which renders it pointless I'm afraid.

Associate
anyone upgraded to windows 10? i've found that the colour profile that was posted on here doesn't seem to function at all. even when adding it as before...

Yes when installing them manually like I did with windows 7 it makes no difference what so ever, the only way i can get it to work is by using the profile chooser programme that came with my spyder 4 pro software and then it will work which is very odd.

Back
Top Bottom