1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LS34E790C - Curved 34" 21:9 super-wide

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by RichIbizaSport, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Matson

Mobster

This is better for gaming. Deeper blacks plus better motion.

2. snappyfish

Hitman

Does anyone get any horizontal tearing / jagged bits when scrolling this forum with mouse wheel?

3. .:SAmSuNG:.

Mobster

Can u change the behaviour of the monitor going to sleep rather than standby when pc is switched off as it seems I have to press the button on the rear of the screen to get it to turn on after pc has started?

4. snappyfish

Hitman

Menu > Settings > Off Timer

Switch it off :)

5. snappyfish

Hitman

No banding either.

6. .:SAmSuNG:.

Mobster

LOL yah feel stupid now.

7. snappyfish

Hitman

Reason I know is that I asked the same question, a couple of pages back I think :p

8. .:SAmSuNG:.

Mobster

Overclocked to 75hz with no problems to report.

9. PCM2

Soldato

Without frame skipping? :confused: I'd be very surprised, as the unit I tested certainly wasn't capable of that and started skipping frames after 65Hz at the native resolution.

10. .:SAmSuNG:.

Mobster

How would I test for frame skipping? I don't have a camera that I can control shutter speed.

11. Coolasmoo

Mobster

So if you cant notice it with the human eye, why does it matter if it does skip frames?

Just a thought...:confused:

12. PCM2

Soldato

You don't need one really, pretty much any smartphone camera will work with the appropriate test. Simply reduce the monitor brightness as much as possible when taking the shot and try to darken the room.

Because people simply see that their monitor is 'running' at a higher refresh rate and think it must be better. If they then learn that it is skipping frames, it's funny how often they start to notice it without using any sort of specific test. It's funny how the mind works. ;) Although if they aren't sensitive enough to stutter to notice that frames are being skipped, they may still prefer it to 60Hz. They may still be getting more frames than 60 per second (60Hz) even if some are skipped and they may appreciate the reduced latency during inputs.

13. .:SAmSuNG:.

Mobster

Yep you were right. Tried 66hz and seems to not be dropping any. 70hz sometimes gets the odd dropped frame but mostly not. Think im going to stick with 70hz.

66hz

[​IMG]

70hz

[​IMG]

14. wizardbro

Associate

Thanks for the input. Turns out mine was defective because it had very dark asymmetrical bands/patches that were even visible in games.
    I turned my monitor in to a Samsung service center, they ordered a new panel and it's way better now. The new panel came in with a new front bezel (front gloss black+side silver part) attached, all they had to do was screw it in to the rear housing/stand. Pretty great service.

Edit: Also had minor clouding near the edges on the old panel. There doesn't seem to be any clouding at all on the replacement, black is pitch black.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  15. Matson

Mobster

I remember when I tried to overclock mine to 75hz. I didn't test enough to notice frame skipping but I instantly remember everything looking weird and the text looking all blurry or something along those lines.

16. .:SAmSuNG:.

Mobster

I didnt notice anything like that but at 70hz seems to be having no problems and no frame dropping.

17. wizardbro

Associate

My 70hz is super blurry as well. Wish I could run it at 75hz for csgo.

18. Booner!

Sgarrista

Has anyone dealt with Samsung warranty on this monitor? I have a thunderfly (about 4 pixels long) that has died between the screen so that I cannot get it out. I don't want to open it up and it's died literally top left which is below my bookmarks bar so it's very obvious when using the screen on white backgrounds.

About 5 years ago I sent back two dell 24" monitors for the same reason and no quibbles they sorted it. Any idea where I start with Samsung? It's such a shame as I love the monitor and I've had it only a few months now

19. .:SAmSuNG:.

Mobster

I would hope they handle it well considering the cost of this monitor and the size of Samsung.

20. perosus

Associate

What the hell....I googled what a thunderfly was (Sorry, filthy foreign Canadian here, never heard of these beasts), and half the articles that it brought up were about them being stuck in peoples screens.