Samsung Odyssey 49" OLED G9 G95SC

Associate
What a great thread. I have nothing else to add, I just found this while trying to decide on a monitor upgrade (might make a fresh post about that).

Also, forums frickin rock. Might be 1970s tech but finding useful gems like this really adds value. I love Discord but it's like wandering into an over-sugared playgroup when you actually need a library ;)

Associate
Hi,

I'm torn between trying to find a G95NC or taking the plunge with the G9 OLED, i see that most people here have seen big improvements after calibration, i guess im asking why you would go for one screen or the other, im a little worried about burn in, but my C9 is absolutely fine after all these years.

i know the 4K super-wide will absolutely crush gpu's for years to come, but is it more of a future proof option?

Associate
Hi,

I'm torn between trying to find a G95NC or taking the plunge with the G9 OLED, i see that most people here have seen big improvements after calibration, i guess im asking why you would go for one screen or the other, im a little worried about burn in, but my C9 is absolutely fine after all these years.

i know the 4K super-wide will absolutely crush gpu's for years to come, but is it more of a future proof option?
My current plan is to get a G95NC because a bigger, higher res screen will be better for productivity work in the day (10 hours 5 days a week) and without the burn in risk of an OLED.

For now I'll be happy with my 4090 getting 120hz on DP and when games struggle with the full res I'll just drop it to a smaller resolution and have black bars on the side. Then like you said it's also future proof for the eventual GPUs that will be able to handle full res at 240hz.

Associate
Hi all, I've had this monitor since release and thought it worth sharing a few things...

1) Use HDMI if your GC supports HDMI 2.1. It has more bandwidth than Displayport 1.4
2) Not all cables are created equal... You don't need really expensive cables but make sure the ones you do have are certified for Displayport 1.4 or HDMI 2.1. You might get weird behaviour with crappier cables...
3) Samsung VRR sucks with Nvidia cards... I had my monitor going to blank / black screen in the middle of playing some games (Diablo 4 mostly) at some really odd times. This is seems to be a long running issue with various Samsung G9 monitors. Seems they never fixed it and the OLED G9 suffers from it as well... Solution is to turn it off, I've not had the issue since and thankfully no screen tearing either.
Hi, i have had this black screen issues happen to me on my 49" G93SC Odyssey OLED G9 240Hz monitor. It has happened twice in 6 days but only when i boot up my computer. I have an Nvidia 4080, when it happened the first time i plugged the display port from the Samsung into my acer monitor and the screen came on straight away. I even tried the HDMI port of the Samsung but still no display? I then turned the power off by the wall, waited 5 mins and then it came back on so definitely not gc or cable issue. Might have to get in touch with Samsung about this because i have only had it 10 days but gotta say what an AWESOME monitor it is.

Associate
I’ve got the screen with me now for review soon at TFTCentral.

I have to say, first impressions are that it’s a very poorly thought out use experience. So many strange things with design, UI, menus etc. I’ll elaborate more in the review on it all.

One question to owners , how in earth do you even set 5120 x 1440 at 240Hz?!?!
I have the 49" G93SC Odyssey OLED G9 240Hz Gaming Monitor which is just about the same apart from it having the remote and being able to watch it like a tv. Mine worked out of the box at 5120 x 1440 at 240hz. I did not have to do anything in pertuciular....it just worked. Obviously using a display port cable with the appropriate bandwidth.

Caporegime
I have to say, first impressions are that it’s a very poorly thought out use experience. So many strange things with design, UI, menus etc. I’ll elaborate more in the review on it all.
The awful 'smart' menu system (and the crappy speakers) are the reason I sent mine back, just so so baaaaaaaaad!

Associate
I have the g93c version of this monitor so i presume its the same apart from the smart features?

UPDATE* i have noticed that the OSD is slightly different from one another and my g93C does not have the *Connection* tab

Also, is it best to use hdmi 2.1 cable or display port 1.4? I have a nvidia 4080 GC

Last edited:
Associate
I've joined the club! Took delivery of a G93sc on Saturday. Managed to get it for £700 which is an absolute bargain!
Noticed some very odd behaviour when using my Steamdeck connected via a Cable Matters Displayport hub. When I boot up the Steamdeck or switch between game/desktop mode, the monitor will lose rhe image or show as 640x480. If I remove the usb charging cable from the hub, the monitor suddenly kicks back to 5120x1440. Apart from that, the screen is working fantastically. Still need to connect my main gaming pc up, so not really seen what this monitor can truly do yet.

@Personality+

Can you send me the ICC profile too please?

[email protected]

Last edited:
Associate
Direct from Samsung using a unique code I was given for reviewing and posting feedback on it. If you are in the UK, check out The Insiders UK.

Caporegime
Direct from Samsung using a unique code I was given for reviewing and posting feedback on it. If you are in the UK, check out The Insiders UK.
Cheers, will do :)

edit - I tried the G95SC and thought it was an incredible monitor but had an issue with the smart functions of it, I wouldn't mind trying the 93SC to see if I get on with it better!

Last edited:
Associate
How long did you wait for the code once you've registered? I filled in the survey yesterday morning but havent received any confirmation or reply since.

Last edited:
Associate
Thinking about picking up one of these monitors soon, can anyone let me know if they support 2560x1440 and 3440x1440 as selectable resolutions at 240Hz? I would like to use the 21:9 resolution for most games, and fall back to 16:9 if the game does not support any ultrawide resolutions. Thanks.

Associate
hey all

Bit of a longtime lurker here - I have the opportunity to get one via the same means as mentioned above (Insiders UK) so at what I think is a really good price.

I don’t really PC game (currently anyway this could change down the line - haven’t done for some time due to change of priorities) so have primarily used my current Mateview Gt ultra wide for work/productivity and console gaming when I get the chance.

Thoughts on justifying the upgrade if at all?

I’d love to find out how I’d be able to get the best out of it (or how others do!)

Back
Top Bottom