Samsung Odyssey 49" OLED G9 G95SC

Associate
Morning all. Thanks for the email Personality+. I have another question for the experts in here. So I figured out why it was only allowing me to select 60hz refresh rate on HDMI.... The "native" resolution on when plugged in on HDMI in Nvidia control panel is 3840x1080..... When I have it set to 5120x1440 it only allows me to choose 60hz max (on the 3840x it allows 60 or 120hz) Why is this.... is this a case of crappy GPU... I have a 1650 Super in the build just now?

Associate
Morning all. Thanks for the email Personality+. I have another question for the experts in here. So I figured out why it was only allowing me to select 60hz refresh rate on HDMI.... The "native" resolution on when plugged in on HDMI in Nvidia control panel is 3840x1080..... When I have it set to 5120x1440 it only allows me to choose 60hz max (on the 3840x it allows 60 or 120hz) Why is this.... is this a case of crappy GPU... I have a 1650 Super in the build just now?
I'd say so, i can only get 3840x1080 60hz on my Razer Book laptop but on the main rig any res / hz works

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all, I've had this monitor since release and thought it worth sharing a few things...

1) Use HDMI if your GC supports HDMI 2.1. It has more bandwidth than Displayport 1.4
2) Not all cables are created equal... You don't need really expensive cables but make sure the ones you do have are certified for Displayport 1.4 or HDMI 2.1. You might get weird behaviour with crappier cables...
3) Samsung VRR sucks with Nvidia cards... I had my monitor going to blank / black screen in the middle of playing some games (Diablo 4 mostly) at some really odd times. This is seems to be a long running issue with various Samsung G9 monitors. Seems they never fixed it and the OLED G9 suffers from it as well... Solution is to turn it off, I've not had the issue since and thankfully no screen tearing either.

Associate
Ok update.... RTX 4070 installed.... Got a decent Belkin HDMI 2.1 as well and hooked it up with that.... So far so good, native res is correct (5120x1440) also, I notice in Nvidia control panel it now offers me up to 12bpc colour depth as well. Will do some more testing tonight with HDMI and Display port and report back..... Thanks for the inout so far.

Associate
Hello everyone! Long time reader and lurker, just decided to register and start chipping in aswell.

Found a pretty nice open box deal on this monitor and couldn't help my self. Eagerly waiting now for it to arrive.

I have read a lot of reviews, but one thing I'm a bit uncertain of - Should one connect this monitor to PC with HDMI2.1 or DP? Does it even actually make a real world difference? I have 3080 TI. (I noticed post above recommends hdmi, but are there any other views perhaps)

Per my understanding Samsung maybe sees DP as the recommended (PC) input, whereareas HDMI2.1 would be for other third party devices like game consoles, bluray, whatnot. But then again, HDMI should have higher bandwith and no need to rely on DSC even with the display maxed out (?), but further if HDMI is meant for third party (4k output) devices, do you have to manually do some CRU settings for everything to work properly always (as is the case with many other monitors). Are there input lag or other performance considerations between the inputs. Many things to consider, but is there an easy answer?

Last edited:
Associate
Hello everyone! Long time reader and lurker, just decided to register and start chipping in aswell.

Found a pretty nice open box deal on this monitor and couldn't help my self. Eagerly waiting now for it to arrive.

I have read a lot of reviews, but one thing I'm a bit uncertain of - Should one connect this monitor to PC with HDMI2.1 or DP? Does it even actually make a real world difference? I have 3080 TI. (I noticed post above recommends hdmi, but are there any other views perhaps)

Per my understanding Samsung maybe sees DP as the recommended (PC) input, whereareas HDMI2.1 would be for other third party devices like game consoles, bluray, whatnot. But then again, HDMI should have higher bandwith and no need to rely on DSC even with the display maxed out (?), but further if HDMI is meant for third party (4k output) devices, do you have to manually do some CRU settings for everything to work properly always (as is the case with many other monitors). Are there input lag or other performance considerations between the inputs. Many things to consider, but is there an easy answer?
Morning Finx, one advantage HDMI 2.1 is giving in Nvidia control panel over the Display port is the option to go right up to 12 BPC (display port max 10) although with my limited knowledge not sure how much of a game changer that is. Like the Amplifier that can go up to 11

Associate
Morning Finx, one advantage HDMI 2.1 is giving in Nvidia control panel over the Display port is the option to go right up to 12 BPC (display port max 10) although with my limited knowledge not sure how much of a game changer that is. Like the Amplifier that can go up to 11

Cheers, and thanks for your reply. It's interesting to learn this about HDMI 2.1 - and I think you're on the right track comparing it to amplifier that goes up to 11.

So I believe you can manually force the desired output in terms of bits per color channel using the NVCP setting. With HDMI 2.1, you might even be able to achieve a broader bpc indeed. This, however, shouldn't directly affect the image quality when going higher than native source is. It's also worth considering whether the display truly supports a full true 12bpc, even if modern high-end displays can surely recognize and process the 12bpc signal displaying it to their maximum capabilities.

Per my understanding if you let Windows handle this setting on "auto", it should correctly display all content types. This likely means using 8bpc for SDR content and 10bpc for HDR. To the best of my knowledge, very few if any sources are mastered and can output at 12bpc. While there may be no harm in maximizing the settings if everything runs smoothly, it could potentially just be waste of bandwidth. This might, in rare cases, lead to stability issues especially with lesser cables. Converting everything via the GPU's lookup table to 12bpc signal might also introduce some additional processing time, all without a noticeable visual difference.

Happily I have both good quality DP and HDMI cables over, and I can also try and test if there's any noticeable differences between the two.

I expect using HDMI2.1 (if your GPU has the output) should possibly be the better choice, higher bandwidth cant hurt and resolution support should be the same if the device is flagged as a PC in monitor settings. Disabling VRR with this monitor indeed might be a good idea, as Samsungs implementation has been notoriously bad for long time - and luckily with such a high raw refresh rate of 240Hz, tearing should be very minimal anyways. Much less annoying atleast, than possible flickering and even possible dropouts can be.

Last edited:
Associate
A Few Days In With the OLED G9

I must say, I'm thoroughly impressed so far. This is the most magnificent monitor I've ever had the chance to try. I didn't expect QD-OLED to be such a significant improvement over the W-OLED I had previously. There's no issue of black crush whatsoever, and even the darkest shades of grey are impeccably clean. The colours are vibrant, and the output is uniformly excellent, even with static colours. The glossy coating also adds a touch of magic to the uniformity of the colours—there's not a hint of 'noise' on any uniform surface.

The monitor's SDR performance is stellar. What's particularly pleasing is the granular calibration options directly accessible via the remote control. This essentially allows for direct manual hardware calibration—a feature I've found to be uncommon in typical monitors based on my past experiences.

Setting up the monitor was a breeze; it was manageable even as a one-person job, which wasn't the case with the Neo G9. The OLED G9 is notably slim, lightweight, and sleek for a 49-inch display. I connected it directly via HDMI 2.1 and see no reason to switch. I've had no notable issues with the Tizen OS either; it's neither clunky nor slow in my experience.

As someone who has invested thousands of hours into CS:GO, I was initially concerned about how this monitor would perform. However, I'm delighted to report that there are no issues with input latency whatsoever. The monitor feels just as responsive as others I've had, like the 27GR95QE and XL2566K. Moreover, the OLED technology at 240Hz delivers stunning motion clarity.

On a slight note of critique, I do think the curve could be a bit steeper—not necessarily as steep as 1000R, but something around 1200R or even 1500R could be quite nice. Another point to consider is that the internals of the monitor run rather hot. Specifically, the panel rim at the bottom and the area adjacent to the physical buttons become quite warm to the touch, raising some concerns about longevity.

All in all, I can easily see myself using this monitor for a long time and finally settling my monitor 'craze'. Here's hoping it stands the test of time.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I must say, I'm thoroughly impressed so far. This is the most magnificent monitor I've ever had the chance to try. I didn't expect QD-OLED to be such a significant improvement over the W-OLED I had previously. There's no issue of black crush whatsoever, and even the darkest shades of grey are impeccably clean. The colours are vibrant, and the output is uniformly excellent, even with static colours. The glossy coating also adds a touch of magic to the uniformity of the colours—there's not a hint of 'noise' on any uniform surface.
This is exactly why the upcoming 32in 4k/240Hz panels from Samsung are exciting me so much, going to be a real game-changer!!

Associate
OP
I have to ask from fellow OLED G9 owners. Does your displays bottom chin around the center get notably warm to touch after some hours of use?

Most of the panel feels neutral - but especially the parts circled up in this image (imgur) gets warm enough, that it makes me a bit worried wether it's normal and expected...

I never touch the panel, having said that I go some days with the monitor getting 2-3 hours of use a day and then 12+ on the weekends, so nothing I've had to concern myself with yet.

Associate
Hi all, I've had this monitor since release and thought it worth sharing a few things...

1) Use HDMI if your GC supports HDMI 2.1. It has more bandwidth than Displayport 1.4
2) Not all cables are created equal... You don't need really expensive cables but make sure the ones you do have are certified for Displayport 1.4 or HDMI 2.1. You might get weird behaviour with crappier cables...
3) Samsung VRR sucks with Nvidia cards... I had my monitor going to blank / black screen in the middle of playing some games (Diablo 4 mostly) at some really odd times. This is seems to be a long running issue with various Samsung G9 monitors. Seems they never fixed it and the OLED G9 suffers from it as well... Solution is to turn it off, I've not had the issue since and thankfully no screen tearing either.
Hi. Is the issue you describe sometimes the screen just goes blank/black for a couple of seconds then back to normal? If so I think I am observing this too (I had VRR and G-Sync turned on even though it says in control panel that the monitor is not supported) I will try turning both off (on monitor and in Nvidia control panel) and see if that resolves it.

Associate
I have to ask from fellow OLED G9 owners. Does your displays bottom chin around the center get notably warm to touch after some hours of use?

Most of the panel feels neutral - but especially the parts circled up in this image (imgur) gets warm enough, that it makes me a bit worried wether it's normal and expected...
Yes.... could fry an egg lol

Associate
Hi. Is the issue you describe sometimes the screen just goes blank/black for a couple of seconds then back to normal? If so I think I am observing this too (I had VRR and G-Sync turned on even though it says in control panel that the monitor is not supported) I will try turning both off (on monitor and in Nvidia control panel) and see if that resolves it.
Yup, usually right when you don't want it too :) Turning it off resolved it for me, hopefully it should for you as well.

Back
Top Bottom