Samsung Odyssey 49" OLED G9 G95SC

Soldato
Just turned my G9 oled on and got a bit of a shock, went into windows and there was only way i can explain is sort of messed up gray and blacks just distortion of some sort. Was the same after a restart and went away after a power off. Might be windows?driver related I dont know. Anyway I havent updated sofware yet. But i did read on Reddit about this update messing up peak brightness im not sure in HDR or SDR or both. I could be totally wrong though.

Associate
sometimes after a reboot I get the washed out colours, just disable an re-enable hdr mode in windows fixes it...
That and toggling between RGB and 444 clears it up as well. I'm guessing RGB at 12bps is our best bet for gaming on this monitor?

I did a few other big changes like finally upgrading to Win11 and changing cables from DP to HDMI 2.1

After calibrating and loading icc, I can safely say I'm satisfied with the results. There is indeed a very noticeable increase in clarity and color accuracy.

I wish blacks, in HDR content, could go completely black. But I guess that's the way it is on all OLED monitors. Only way i see true black is when HDR is turned off (Resident Evil 4).

Guess I'll be keeping this monitor after all. Thanks OP

Permabanned
Oops didn’t see this thread.

Just ordered the G9 OLED which is coming tomorrow, excited to see how big the thing is in person.

I was originally on an ultrawide IPS. I moved over to OLED 4K. I have missed the immersion of ultrawide but couldn’t give up the image quality of OLED so I’ve decided to give one of these a go.

Associate
Quick question to you guys with the g9 oled, in NvidiaCP, with no scaling option set, can you use 2560x1440, with borders either side, and also with 3440x1440, also with borders, does it work? or are there issues, trying to seting up, would apreciate is some can check this to see if it works properly!!

Last edited:
Associate
Hi All. Got my G9 OLED a week ago and just stumbled across this site tonight..... So I really love it but I have noticed an issue and looking for some thoughts.... When it is connected via displayport, I am getting like a random flicker/twitch at random areas of the screen, it can be like quadrants of the screen that flickers or just little areas. Also, for some reason if I change it the refresh rate to 120hz... it will not show a picture, just get the "no input source detected" type message... and 60hz is a disaster and crashes the screen. Strangely none of this happens on HDMi or any other input source (like the smart apps etc) Any idea what is causing this? I have already been in contact with Samsung and after some troubleshooting they just said must be a fault so I asked for an exchange, but I still want to understand the issue in case its not an actual hardware fault? All input appreciated.

Associate
OP
Oops didn’t see this thread.

Just ordered the G9 OLED which is coming tomorrow, excited to see how big the thing is in person.

I was originally on an ultrawide IPS. I moved over to OLED 4K. I have missed the immersion of ultrawide but couldn’t give up the image quality of OLED so I’ve decided to give one of these a go.
make sure to get it well calibrated, or you'll be wondering why the **** this thing costs so much
Quick question to you guys with the g9 oled, in NvidiaCP, with no scaling option set, can you use 2560x1440, with borders either side, and also with 3440x1440, also with borders, does it work? or are there issues, trying to seting up, would apreciate is some can check this to see if it works properly!!

I've not had 2560x1440 available in any games, perhaps the resolution could be forced, but not tried myself, 16:9 works flawlessly at 1080p changing in game with black bars either side and 3440x1440 21:9 is available in COD and Apex Legends I believe, but never utilised either.

** correction for above, looks like when I switch to 16:9 it is 2560x1440.

Because I've been using a 2nd device a lot of the time that runs in 1080p via the monitor, it basically works the same just at a different resolution, depending on which solution I use at the time :)

Last edited:
Associate
Another thing I have noticed.... When I turn "Game Mode" or sometimes its called "Adaptive Sync" Off..... It will disconnect from my PC and not show a picture and give the 1 minute switch off warning...... It sometimes tries to show the desktop with "game mode off" but the image is all distorted. What is even "Game Mode"?

Associate
OP
Anyone any ideas... Why would it do it using a display port cable on 240hz and not an HDMI at 60hz?

I turned off VRR (VRR Control under Picture > Expert Settings > VRR Control to fix this issue for myself (I got lots of flickering within windows with it on) but no issues elsewhere.

Could try that? otherwise not too sure. Maybe someone else has a similar issue.

I'm running via normal hdmi 2.1 at 240hz though.

Having said that (I'm on my 2nd display after returning the 1st one) and the 1st monitor would have random flickering for me on youtube etc at random so could be a monitor issue if you don't find a solution changing settings or cables...

Associate
Does it with VRR on and off.... Last thing I am going to try is instal my new graphics card tomorrow and hook up via HDMI 2.1 (which I have not done yet and try and confirm if it was defo just a display port issue. I still really do not understand this whole "Game Mode" on/off.... When I turn it "off" I cannot display my PC??? and why is it called "Game mode" in one screen and "Adaptive sync" in another lol.... I am nit an expert but its a bit over complicated no?
P.s. @Personality+ Can you email me those custom settings please [email protected]. thanks

Associate
OP
Does it with VRR on and off.... Last thing I am going to try is instal my new graphics card tomorrow and hook up via HDMI 2.1 (which I have not done yet and try and confirm if it was defo just a display port issue. I still really do not understand this whole "Game Mode" on/off.... When I turn it "off" I cannot display my PC??? and why is it called "Game mode" in one screen and "Adaptive sync" in another lol.... I am nit an expert but its a bit over complicated no?
P.s. @Personality+ Can you email me those custom settings please [email protected]. thanks
email sent

Back
Top Bottom