Samsung Targets Gamers With 3 Extremely Fast 990 Pro NVMe SSDs

Yeah can't be from cloning because that's the method I've been suing since the very first SSDs came out and have never seen this issue lol. I still think it's a firmware bug so will really be interesting to see what the replacement drive comes on.

Zero difference unless I copy a 12GB file from one drive to another etc :p

OS boot times, gaming, application use, all no different, just as fast on either drive.

I'm in half a mind to just get them to refund the 990 Pro really as I have 628GB free on the 970 EP. Give them time to sort out any lingering issues etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Zero difference unless I copy a 12GB file from one drive to another etc :p

OS boot times, gaming, application use, all no different, just as fast on either drive.

I'm in half a mind to just get them to refund the 990 Pro really as I have 628GB free on the 970 EP. Give them time to sort out any lingering issues etc.

Won’t see much difference until direct drive or whatever it is Microsoft calls it starts being used in games.

Just done a few tests on mine. Seems ok so far, had it since start of December.

But I did run an firmware update then cloned from an 970 Evo before I did anything else.

You had a firmware update available? Not even the Samsung website listed a new firmware available as that was the first thing I tried!

No firmware update for mine when I checked

How do you guys contact Samsung? I sent them an email and they responded saying I should read their QandA on their website but that doesn't help and no they refuse to reply to emails

Last edited:
No firmware update for mine when I checked

How do you guys contact Samsung? I sent them an email and they responded saying I should read their QandA on their website but that doesn't help and no they refuse to reply to emails

Ask @mrk that guy is the pro of this kind of stuff. He has ready had multiple replacements of the QD-OLED monitor without breaking a sweat. If he was any better he would convince them into giving him a refund and keep the item :cry: :D

• Wow
Reactions: mrk
Samsung SSD support contact as posted earlier:

In regard to your query, I just want to inform you that since we can only provide IT support for Samsung cameras, laptops, and monitors on this channel, we'll need you to reach our SSD department (Hanaro) by calling them at +44-031-493-326-633 or emailing them at: [email protected]
Just email that address and you'll get a response on what info to provide them and then you'll get the RMA links to fill in!

Thanks.

Not gonna RMA mine until I know if there is an issue and what it is. Otherwise the next drive could just do the same thing. Though the store I bought from said I could swap it for a different drive but there isn't any other drive I'm particularly interested in at present. Maybe I'll just wait for pcie5 drives to arrive and then go swap it for one of those

Last edited:
Thanks.

Not gonna RMA mine until I know if there is an issue and what it is. Otherwise the next drive could just do the same thing. Though the store I bought from said I could swap it for a different drive but there isn't any other drive I'm particularly interested in at present. Maybe I'll just wait for pcie5 drives to arrive and then go swap it for one of those
No love for the SN-850x? :)

Problem is having diff brand SSDs is that you then gotta install their respective tools to manage the drive and update firmware etc. Magician is a really good tool from Samsung, everything under one app without any bloat and it has soeme very useful info/features too. Whilst WD has its own tools, they are very very basic and look like something out of Windows 98 era :p

WD:
dVucTAf.png

Samsung:
vY8bj5X.png

Last edited:
No love for the SN-850x? :)

Plenty here. Had it longer than these lot had their 990's and it is still showing 100%. Basides, the difference between the two drives is very small. Currently would make no difference appart from benchmarks and in the future when direct storage is out it may make for 0.1 faster loading :cry:

Problem is having diff brand SSDs is that you then gotta install their respective tools to manage the drive and update firmware etc. Magician is a really good tool from Samsung, everything under one app without any bloat and it has soeme very useful info/features too. Whilst WD has its own tools, they are very very basic and look like something out of Windows 98 era :p

WD:
dVucTAf.png

Samsung:
vY8bj5X.png

That ain't how WD's looks... That must be very old. Lol

I got in touch with MSI trying to troubleshoot the reason why write speed is very inconsistent with the 990 PRO... They sent me this stating that their SSD is performing as it should.....

reply1_905582_20230112165717.jpg

Pardon me but isn't the random write also inconsistent in their test? They repeated the test multiple times as shown above and the drive should be hitting 1.4M IOPS instead of 0.4 IOPS....

I don't get it....

If they tested on the same board model then surely points to the board or some driver or BIOS setting?

Has the drive been tried on another system entirely?

Back
Top Bottom