Scammed on ebay....

Soldato
I've seen users put the actual serial numbers in the ad on eBay (text format) so maybe that can help protect you. I suppose taking a picture of the serials with a paper of your user id, date and buyer id could also be proof it's your camera, I guess eBay could just say you sent a different one anyway.

Soldato
That's just appalling. In future OP if you sell and take pictures have a piece of paper with your eBay username in the photo to prove it yours. Even better yet, take I.D with the photograph.

I dislike selling on eBay now, full of idiots.

Yup, I would 100% suggest this with your ebay username and passport/drivers licence next to it - undeniable then! Some dodgy (but clever) people out there.

Associate
I've not used ebay for some time, having got 1500+ feedbacks from selling loads of laptops and similar items of high value i've yet to come accross this type of scam.

Am I right in thinking you can still list an item on ebay and stipulate not to use Paypal?

I'd be more inclined to ask for cash on collection or a cheque rather than use Paypal these days. Paypal is getting more and more just for business sellers only and does not protect private sellers.

Associate
If the buyer doesn't know you've yet raised a case, maybe just send some intimidation?

"Dear blah blah, I know you sent me a different item as I have the serial numbers, return mine and you can have yours back and I won't take this any further, else I'll be going through eBay and the Police (And I have your address."

If they're a regular user of eBay this may be enough to get them to switch back. You'll be out the cost of some postage but you can then relist on eBay or elsewhere?

Associate
To be honest on eBay's principles you can sell the camera exactly as it has returned to you using the same listing you originally sold it. Nothing should have changed, right?

Associate
To be honest on eBay's principles you can sell the camera exactly as it has returned to you using the same listing you originally sold it. Nothing should have changed, right?

This would be quite an interesting turnaround, if not for 2 problems:
1. You're a bit of a ****, shipping something in a naff condition to someone who doesn't necessarily deserve it
2. Ebay would probably side against you if it's not as described, despite the tremendous irony of them doing so proving you were originally right

Associate
This would be quite an interesting turnaround, if not for 2 problems:
1. You're a bit of a ****, shipping something in a naff condition to someone who doesn't necessarily deserve it
2. Ebay would probably side against you if it's not as described, despite the tremendous irony of them doing so proving you were originally right
Indeed. Completely hypothetical because it would be unfair to put the buyer in such a position, but looking at it like that puts it in perspective.

Associate
So anyone can send back an identical (but used and faulty) item back instead of the one they purchased and obtain a refund from Paypal before the private seller has a chance to respond?

And buyers can also claim they never received the item in the post and it's up to you to prove and provide the buyers signature?

And the buyer can claim the item was damaged in the post and it's then down to you to get the damaged item back and claim for compensation from the courier?

And some courier's now exclude certain items from compensation but hide the fact in small print so when you come to claim it gets bounced?

**** me - avoid ebay !

Soldato
There was an actual case similar to this in a thread recently. OP went to the police and guess what? Laptop was never seen again.

Try and fail or not bothering to try at all?

Good luck in life if your attitude reflects the latter.

You have to chase the police to get them to do anything about it. Taking the law into your own hands is a stupid idea and you'll probably end up getting your head kicked in.

Soldato
Has the op called eBay. As its a lot more effective than using their messaging system

This.

I sold a perfectly working laptop. It was sent back to me after the buyer had clearly spilt a bucket of water over it.

I called ebay, pleaded my case and they refunded the money paypal took off of me.

In the end I got the £300 odd for the laptop and the laptop itself to sell on again (for spares and repairs of course).

To be honest I would have rather the buyer got penalised as well but at least I wasn't out of pocket.

Back
Top Bottom