Scammed on ebay....

Associate
How did they send it? is it too late to deny you ever recieved it?

Ring the police. There is a slim chance they will pay the address a visit, and if it is some chancer thinking they are being clever a police visit may scare them into doing the right thing.

Alternatively, post address/streetview/buyer name/email addy.

Soldato
If the buyer doesn't know you've yet raised a case, maybe just send some intimidation?

"Dear blah blah, I know you sent me a different item as I have the serial numbers, return mine and you can have yours back and I won't take this any further, else I'll be going through eBay and the Police (And I have your address."

If they're a regular user of eBay this may be enough to get them to switch back. You'll be out the cost of some postage but you can then relist on eBay or elsewhere?

Given the lack of help from eBay, I think the above advice is probably the best suggested in the thread so far.

Pointing out that you know what the buyer has done, along with making them aware that you would be willing to take further action, without being threatening may convince them to see otherwise.

Permabanned
About 6 months ago I sold a 27" Hazro monitor on eBay. When the buyer received it the corner was smashed and he sent a photo.

He then said not to worry as he was only telling me so I would avoid that courier in the future! He said he was happy with the monitor and I couldn't believe my luck.

Soldato
I had a situation recently with an Ebayer who refused to refund even after knowing that they sent me wrong part, contacted ebay and this got nowhere. But I decided to take it to small claims court, ebay gave me the sellers full details including a contact number, I then notified seller and gave them 3 days to respond exactly on the 3rd day my refund.

Associate
You can always try the small claims court (money claim online) out of principle. It will cost ~£50 and some time but you can claim that back from the defendant.

Alternatively, you could try reporting the issue to the police, but unfortunately I don't think they would be bothered. :(

Well to be honest this route is one major hassle, if you do get a judgement in your favour all it means is the court sides with your side and that your legally in the right in requesting the money.

It doesn't deal with getting the money, if they wont give it to you. You then need to hire bailiffs to chase the party for the money. You have to pay for the bailiffs out your own pocket if the party doesn't cough up straight away, it can then drag out with you footing the bill until settled.

If they cant get cash they can only then repossess items to the combined judgement and the costs of the bailiffs. You then need to deal with those to recoup your money.

Its just one big nightmare from start to end

Soldato
I sold a graphics card on ebay and the same thing happened. I received a broken card back in return that was not the one I sent.

I had all the serials and photos and sent ebay all of this as requested. In less than 24hrs I had a reply from ebay stating that they believe the buyer was fraudulent and I should make no further contact with them and they will deal with it.

Never heard anything else and was never contacted about returning the broken graphics card the seller posted to me.

Soldato
I sold a PSP and PlayStation 3 last week to cover me after the auctions had finished I videoed the serial numbers of the units next to the buyers details with the date to prove both condition and I'd of the units.

Ultimately it still doesn't prove anything, as you could still send the buyer a different unit.

Soldato
The words that mean everything are actually:

"sold as seen"

They would have no legal authority to return it to you if it is sold in such a "condition". You do not have to abide by the SOGA or DSR.

With 2nd hand goods they have to fit description i.e. working. As a seller you are bound to that part of SOGA. If they develop a fault or whatever days or weeks later then you are not liable. (It'd be hard to argue this with PayPal though who allow cases to be opened upto 45 days after the sale).

Soldato
Well to be honest this route is one major hassle, if you do get a judgement in your favour all it means is the court sides with your side and that your legally in the right in requesting the money.

It doesn't deal with getting the money, if they wont give it to you.

Yeah but the other person would end up with a CCJ, which looks very bad on their credit rating, which most people will try and protect.

Back
Top Bottom