Scammed on ebay....

Associate
I'd think it would be difficult for the police to help you.

OK, they turn up at the buyer's house and speak to the buyer. He says that he sent back to you the same camera which you sent him. He tells the police that you should be ashamed of yourself for a. wrongly accusing him and b. for mis advertising an item on ebay, which he as a buyer accepted in good faith.

The police won't be able to search the house without a warrant and I very much doubt that they'd be able to get one.

Let's hope that a dispute with ebay will help you. I think it's a good idea to now take note of camera serial numbers etc and if we advertise them on ebay we actually enter the number.

Good Luck, I really feel for you! (I've never sold anything on ebay, only minor purchases like socks, photo paper etc).

Soldato
The police won't be able to search the house without a warrant and I very much doubt that they'd be able to get one.

I'm not up to speed on how the law works in this instance, but if they turn up at the guy's door and arrest him merely on suspicion of theft or fraud then wouldn't the following apply?

If the police do arrest you, they can also enter and search any premises where you were during or immediately before the arrest. They can search only for evidence relating to the offence for which you have been arrested, and they must have reasonable grounds for believing there is evidence there. They can also search any premises occupied by someone who is under arrest for certain serious offences. Again, the police officer who carries out the search must have reasonable grounds for suspecting that there is evidence on the premises relating to the offence or a similar offence.

Perhaps one of the serving officers on here could clarify just what could happen.

Associate
I always take a photo of the serial numbers with my name and ebay ID clearly in them.

Paypal will do nothing, turn up on the scammers door and break their teeth ;)

I've always been a bit wary of photographing or putting text serial numbers in the listing due to fraud.

It could be very easy for someone to obtain that serial number from the listing and ring up the said manufacturer and claim for example, a free wireless controller for his Xbox 360 because the fraudster said it was faulty. All that Microsoft used to ask for was the serial number of the Xbox and said throw away the old controller.

Soldato
I've always been a bit wary of photographing or putting text serial numbers in the listing due to fraud.

It could be very easy for someone to obtain that serial number from the listing and ring up the said manufacturer and claim for example, a free wireless controller for his Xbox 360 because the fraudster said it was faulty. All that Microsoft used to ask for was the serial number of the Xbox and said throw away the old controller.

I didn't say list the image with serial number, just take a picture for records (with name and user ID clearly in the image).

Soldato
I once bought a camera (a couple of years ago now) on ebay and the person sent me a camera in a jiffy bag!

When it came to me it had cracked plastic and was in rubbish condition.

Sent back, got refund and left negative feedback. Seller claimed I was scamming them and said it was in perfect condition when sent to me and so I must have broken it.

I ignored them.

As for the OP, if you have plenty of photos of the camera in a better than received condition (in your listing), then that is something to show.

Soldato
I sold a PSP and PlayStation 3 last week to cover me after the auctions had finished I videoed the serial numbers of the units next to the buyers details with the date to prove both condition and I'd of the units.

Soldato
I don't bother with eBay anymore, everything I sell either goes on the mm here if suitable or Gumtree if not. Bank transfer or cash is all I will deal with. Sad state of affairs but too many scum bags out there willing to rip people off :(

Soldato
I sold a cheap tablet to someone in Ireland, brand new - they said it had a loose USB connector and sent it back, but it was a completely different serial number and you could see where someone had opened it up. Unfortunately there wasn't anything I could do, I just sold the broken one as spares or repair.

The problem with photographs of serial numbers is that you could indeed have a fully working and perfect condition camera, take a photo of the serial number and then send the buyer a broken one with a different serial number. Unfortunately a photo doesn't prove a lot really.

I've made a lot more on eBay than I've lost though, by a factor of thousands.

Associate
I would have contacted ebay straight away.

Outside of that its for the police but Ebay should sort it all out themselves if you contact them.

Out of curiosity, don't you have to approve the refund for paypal to do so?

Soldato
Wtf...

pics of serial number prove nothing???!?!?

How are you supposed to be protected from this then... I've always taken pics of my serial numbers making sure to note them down thinking I was protecting myself from the ol' switcharoo...

This is ridiculously disgusting.

Edit: Apparently you are supposed to UV mark your items but I bet that wouldn't prove anything either to PayPal...

Soldato
Wtf...

pics of serial number prove nothing???!?!?

How are you supposed to be protected from this then... I've always taken pics of my serial numbers making sure to note them down thinking I was protecting myself from the ol' switcharoo...

This is ridiculously disgusting.

You can take them to small claims court. It's a civil dispute.

If you can't win that, how are ebay supposed to side with you?

Associate
The words that mean everything are actually:

"sold as seen"

They would have no legal authority to return it to you if it is sold in such a "condition". You do not have to abide by the SOGA or DSR.

Soldato
The words that mean everything are actually:

"sold as seen"

They would have no legal authority to return it to you if it is sold in such a "condition". You do not have to abide by the SOGA or DSR.

But you wouldn't get the same sale price.

Also if it is broken you have to say so as otherwise paypal will side against you.

Back
Top Bottom