Scottish Elections Result

Soldato
Hot Candidate Alert! Where is she? Oh, she won. Hot MSP Alert! (Well, hot for a MSP)...

Another SNP gain over Labour, Clydesdale.
Three horse race, Lib Dems forgot to get their papers in on time (it's a conspiracy!). Suggests that Lib Dems are going to SNP though?
+16% change to SNP, Con down 5. Swing of 8.9% to SNP. Big. S

Must be averaging above an 8% swing now. Major increase for the SNP.

Soldato
Were they BBC trying to make it out that it was confusing as to how Plaid Cymru have not been gaining on Labour like the SNP have been in Scotland. :confused:

Probably not going to get many answers in here - Everyone up here is on BBC Scotland which will be different to what you're wearing.

Permabanned
OP
Ahleckz said:
As in you want Scotland to become independent? I don't think the support is there for a Yes vote on independence and can't really see it happening any time soon.

It's getting interesting though.. ok a lot of people may have played off independence polls against the risk of voting SNP if they are inherrently Unionist.

But I've got to say, if this trend keeps up long term and Labour struggle to pull back from this continued decline I have to say eventially it is a near foregone conclusion, it could take generations but it has been argued that any act of devolution itself is in essense the start on the road to independence.

Analysis has been terrible, need Brian back. Or give Jeremy Vine a train ticket.

Party pundits are more purposeful, Labour are still ignoring the obvious and harping on with negativity. Even in defeat. (Apart from one guy they just had in the studio, they should listen to him - his name passed me)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hahahaha :D Lembit is on his way to the BBC for tonight, but his tyre just blew out on the motorway and sent them a picture of it and said that the trye symbolizes the Lib Dems night! :D :D

Soldato
I think support going towards SNP doesn't in itself give carte blanche support for independence or support. I quite like the SNP, and I do think they have been good in a minority government. However, I'm concerned about them holding a majority and being overly concerned with independence.
I think Alex (great name) understands this but we all know what politics is about and he'll spin these results to suggest there is widespread support for independence and I don't think there is - nor will there be for some time.

Devolution is indeed the start of the road, and if Scotland gets fund raising powers then it's akin to the accelerator being pressed (how far are we going to go with this analogy?) but I still don't think it will happen. A Yes vote in a referendum means little if Westminster (and the English people) don't agree on it.

John Curtice is usually kicking about, he's great at analysis. Been lucky enough to study under him as well.

Just heard that Azza - I'm popping BBC1 on through the headset now and then. Lembit is a great guy.

Soldato
Were the BBC trying to make it out that it was confusing as to how Plaid Cymru have not been gaining on Labour like the SNP have been in Scotland. :confused:

Missed who that bloke was just on BBC but what he was saying about Plaid plateuing is interesting. I'm not clued up on Welsh politics but perhaps he has a point and the enthusiasm for any further reform in Wales has petered out now that they have their assembly?

Scottish nationalism is a pretty prominent issue and features in national news a lot. I very rarely hear much about Welsh nationalism. Maybe they need a new leader? You can't fault Alex Salmond, he's a fantastic politician.

Nigel Farage saying he isn't expecting any UKIP seats in Scotland. I know a few people that voted for them with their list vote, but he's right. One of my good friends voted Labour & UKIP. Odd choice I thought!

Bio - Going to have one more can... Studying can wait until tomorrow afternoon. EU law. *groans*.

Permabanned
OP
I think support going towards SNP doesn't in itself give carte blanche support for independence or support.

Not at all, neither do I.

But think of the long term effects, people warm to the party. They listen to the argument, become a member perhaps after changing their vote for example. It has a knock on effect, a stronger re-elected SNP government is going to probably push stronger on the issue this time round, and with a reduced Labour and Conservative groups it could start to dominate the Scottish political theatre more especially with the SNP having ranks of civil servants to help.

I quite like the SNP, and I do think they have been good in a minority government. However, I'm concerned about them holding a majority and being overly concerned with independence.

Don't be, while being the ultimate end aim, it isn't too distracting from day to day politics. This concern was mooted in 2007, and in four years while fighting for the referendum and things like the 'national conversation' they have still produced a robust government and policy.

I think Alex (great name) understands this but we all know what politics is about and he'll spin these results to suggest there is widespread support for independence and I don't think there is - nor will there be for some time.

Yes, you are right to an extent. He won't do it to ad nauseum I don't think, and it will progress to more civic action.

Devolution is indeed the start of the road, and if Scotland gets fund raising powers then it's akin to the accelerator being pressed (how far are we going to go with this analogy?) but I still don't think it will happen. A Yes vote in a referendum means little if Westminster (and the English people) don't agree on it.

The English people don't have a say on the matter, and while technically at present there are constitutional barriers Westminster would ignore Scottish democratic right and will for a second time at high risk.

Soldato
Labour holds Eastwood, 8.7% swing from Conservative - Labour. Quite a big swing really. First real test for the Conservatives. No doubt we can say that is because of policy in Westminster... Another big increase for SNP, even if they weren't going to ever have a chance.

Uddingston - Labour hold. Pretty close. 46/43 Lab/SNP (+15% for SNP though!). Again, Lib Dems hardly even registered.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Uddingston - Labour hold. Pretty close. 46/43 Lab/SNP (+15% for SNP though!). Again, Lib Dems hardly even registered.

The lib dem share on the last two seats has been trully shocking.

They have all but dissapeared, I can't wait for the highlands to start to return some results :o

Soldato
Not at all, neither do I.

But think of the long term effects, people warm to the party. They listen to the argument, become a member perhaps after changing their vote for example. It has a knock on effect, a stronger re-elected SNP government is going to probably push stronger on the issue this time round, and with a reduced Labour and Conservative groups it could start to dominate the Scottish political theatre more especially with the SNP having ranks of civil servants to help.

It depends how long term we are thinking. Ignoring outside pressures and geopolitics, then yes I believe Scotland will become independent eventually. Reasons for this? Generational and economical change. If we generalise for a while, the people that vote Labour are declining and the traditional jobs (which employed the bedrock of Labour support) are dying out to a reasonable extent. Conservatives are never going to crack Scotland to any meaningful extent and therefore sense suggests support will go to SNP.

Though, with external pressures factored in I just can't see how Scotland will want to go independent in the coming years. But this is crystal balling and we don't have that. Nor do I really want to get into another Scottish independence debate, especially in this thread.

Don't be, while being the ultimate end aim, it isn't too distracting from day to day politics. This concern was mooted in 2007, and in four years while fighting for the referendum and things like the 'national conversation' they have still produced a robust government and policy.

The concern was mooted because of the failure to get a majority - Hence why we never saw the promised bill to introduce a referendum. But yes, we have had a fairly robust government and subsequent policy. There are many things that I disagree with what the SNP are doing but I do believe they have been doing a reasonable job but some of this must be credited due to them being in minority. I can't believe I'm actually arguing in support of minority government! :p
Yes, you are right to an extent. He won't do it to ad nauseum I don't think, and it will progress to more civic action.

The English people don't have a say on the matter, and while technically at present there are constitutional barriers Westminster would ignore Scottish democratic right and will for a second time at high risk.

We shall see.

The English people don't have a say in it but Westminster does. There's a possibility that there could be a referendum about the issue in England which would be interesting. You don't want there to be, as you can't afford it.

Soldato
It's happening, isn't it?

Big change from Labour to SNP in Airdrie...

Aye, she wanted her final wee words to be heard. Probably the first time she's been on't' telly'.

Back
Top Bottom