Scottish Elections Result

Soldato
Can't take Nicola Sturgeons seat...can they (Labour)?

No. SNP hold/take? Glasgow Southside. No surprise though.

I just want to see Iain Grays seat and then I might think about bed.

Permabanned
OP
It depends how long term we are thinking. Ignoring outside pressures and geopolitics, then yes I believe Scotland will become independent eventually. Reasons for this? Generational and economical change. If we generalise for a while, the people that vote Labour are declining and the traditional jobs (which employed the bedrock of Labour support) are dying out to a reasonable extent. Conservatives are never going to crack Scotland to any meaningful extent and therefore sense suggests support will go to SNP.

I agree, and I would expect a large swing back to the right in the event of independence. Scotland is inherently of the right socially and economically, we helped give birth to the ideology near enough.

Though, with external pressures factored in I just can't see how Scotland will want to go independent in the coming years. But this is crystal balling and we don't have that. Nor do I really want to get into another Scottish independence debate, especially in this thread.

No no, my feelings are likewise. I don't think it will happen in the next five years, but they might be able to turn it around somewhat. Look at the start of this election to now for example, I didn't expect that.

The concern was mooted because of the failure to get a majority - Hence why we never saw the promised bill to introduce a referendum. But yes, we have had a fairly robust government and subsequent policy. There are many things that I disagree with what the SNP are doing but I do believe they have been doing a reasonable job but some of this must be credited due to them being in minority. I can't believe I'm actually arguing in support of minority government! :p

I genuinely am not fussed, and I think the electorate would rather another minority. I'm not convinced on referendums so early on, and would rather see a decade or so of government to convince.

But wait and see I suppose. Also, I think there is nothing wrong with minority coalitions I think there are a few examples of good governance around the world with that political makeup.

We shall see.

The English people don't have a say in it but Westminster does. There's a possibility that there could be a referendum about the issue in England which would be interesting. You don't want there to be, as you can't afford it.

Yes that would be interesting, but you can't bind English democratic right over Scot's. So a referendum in England would be a bit of a minefield, if not legally certainly politically and in terms of UK relations. It could only be for English independence really, which co-incidently I believe is actually in England's long term interests but I guess I digress..

Soldato
No way can SNP take Shettleston and East End places :o.

Brunel Uni, Student Trustee. There were about 2200votes cast. I got 760 odd.

Ah, know some people heavily involved with student politics in Scotland hence why I asked.

SNP hold Dundee East, comfortably. 10k majority. -10% Labour change. 12.5 swing to Lib Dem from Labour. Biggest of the night so far, I believe.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Missed who that bloke was just on BBC but what he was saying about Plaid plateuing is interesting. I'm not clued up on Welsh politics but perhaps he has a point and the enthusiasm for any further reform in Wales has petered out now that they have their assembly?

Scottish nationalism is a pretty prominent issue and features in national news a lot. I very rarely hear much about Welsh nationalism. Maybe they need a new leader? You can't fault Alex Salmond, he's a fantastic politician.

Nigel Farage saying he isn't expecting any UKIP seats in Scotland. I know a few people that voted for them with their list vote, but he's right. One of my good friends voted Labour & UKIP. Odd choice I thought!

Bio - Going to have one more can... Studying can wait until tomorrow afternoon. EU law. *groans*.

It's true, they are just uchhh, old sad sacks mainly who are just out of touch with everything. An independent Wales is an insane idea at the moment. I don't know a single young person who has voted for Plaid Cymru, in Mid Wales it's mainly old people and farmers who vote for them it seems, just looking at the candidates makes you cringe at how disgusting they look.

I mean if you had at least 3 leaflets coming through your door a week with this on the front...

qWOmr

You know you'd be making the wrong choice if you vote for that! How on earth she thinks she'll get through to university students and young people I don't know. They are boring, out of touch, seem to think Wales can stand on it's own, delusional at times to be honest.

Labour just took Llanelli from Plaid Cymru! Great news! :D

Soldato
No way.... They haven't taken Shettlestone... I can't believe that.

From SNP candidate Facebook - "Now that the great man himself has let the cat out the bag we can reveal that WE HAVE TAKEN GLASGOW SHETTLESTON!! incredible and a huge thanks to everyone involved, parliament is all the richer, thanks again for support and help".

Last edited:
Associate
Landslide for the SNP, unfortunately. My constituency just got called in favour of SNP, so I'll be going to bed now.

Only good thing about the SNP getting a majority is hopefully they now hold a referendum on independence and get absolutely smashed. I mean, SNP used to go on and on about how great an example Iceland and Ireland were for Scotland being independent, and both of those countries were great examples of exactly why we should be a part of the UK.

I'm glad the Lib Dems are getting hammered aswell, I deeply regret voting for them last year and am glad they are tanking.

Soldato
Labour hold in Greenock. Almost got to 50% turnout. Shocking really. Very close battle though. Another massive change to SNP - +14%. 6.9% swing to SNP from Labour.

Permabanned
OP
Landslide for the SNP, unfortunately. My constituency just got called in favour of SNP, so I'll be going to bed now.

Only good thing about the SNP getting a majority is hopefully they now hold a referendum on independence and get absolutely smashed. I mean, SNP used to go on and on about how great an example Iceland and Ireland were for Scotland being independent, and both of those countries were great examples of exactly why we should be a part of the UK.

They were apart of a group of countries that were mentioned in the 'arc of propserity', and the comparison still holds up to the nordic countries who have survived the recent fiscal whirlwinds far better than even the UK.

The UK on it's own isn't a good argument in my mind, it is a debt riddled disaster to be frank.

I'm glad the Lib Dems are getting hammered aswell, I deeply regret voting for them last year and am glad they are tanking.

A colleague of mine tactically voted them to prevent Tories, and has been sorely annoyed since.

There seems to be a lot of that here.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Shetland coming through...

Iain Gray is up... I'm going to say he's held it, by less than 100.

Please god no.

But it would be funny to see him back in parliament after this meltdown, but I still want him gone.

HADDINGTON NOW! HERE WE GO!!!

*****, what a giant *****.

:mad:

151 bloody votes OMG

ARHAGHAGHAHGAHGHAHGHAHGAHGHAHGHAG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom