*** Show us your Dogs ***

Soldato
As chrisxl200 mentioned, the Chukit balls seem.pretty indestructible, but a bit more expensive, about £15 for a 3 pack.

My current and previous Lab haven't managed to finish one off . The more solid ones dont squeak but make a whistling noise when thrown etc.
Poppy's favourite balls are the Chuck-Its. Blue & Orange for daytime (I have to have the next ball lined up in the chucker, ready to throw again, or she won't let go of the first when she brings it back!)
Also have a glow in the dark Chuckit which is great if you charge the glow with a torch - we use this on after-dark walks (mainly summertime, when it's too hot to go out in the day)

Associate
Poppy's favourite balls are the Chuck-Its. Blue & Orange for daytime (I have to have the next ball lined up in the chucker, ready to throw again, or she won't let go of the first when she brings it back!)
Also have a glow in the dark Chuckit which is great if you charge the glow with a torch - we use this on after-dark walks (mainly summertime, when it's too hot to go out in the day)
Thats the ones weve got , on 2nd pack because I've the worlds worst retriever ) and weve lost the 1st lot over time.

Associate
Thats the ones weve got , on 2nd pack because I've the worlds worst retriever ) and weve lost the 1st lot over time.
I think I'm on my 3rd pack, some losses are my own fault due to throwing them into long grass never to be seen again. However several are the dog's fault because she insists on sticking her head down rabbit holes with ball in mouth and then dropping it. They go in way too deep to get out again. They do float which is good but if I throw it too far Hazel just says nope, I ain't swimming out that far. Hazel is not a strong swimmer. The squeaks don't last long when chewed on enough and the squeaky bit falls out inside the ball where it just rattles around. Hazel has the knack for disassembling them - the orange bit peels off. Hazel has one ball in the house which despite being identical to the others lying around is her special ball. We try swapping them around to fool her but no - she knows which is which and that one ball she babies and carries it around - even takes it to bed with her. Despite all this - and the high purchase price - they are still the best balls and definitely Hazel's favourite. Our other two dogs don't care much about balls at all.

Last edited:
Associate
I think I'm on my 3rd pack, some losses are my own fault due to throwing them into long grass never to be seen again. However several are the dog's fault because she insists on sticking her head down rabbit holes with ball in mouth and then dropping it. They go in way too deep to get out again. They do float which is good but if I throw it too far Hazel just says nope, I ain't swimming out that far. Hazel is not a strong swimmer. The squeaks don't last long when chewed on enough and the squeaky bit falls out inside the ball where it just rattles around. Hazel has the knack for disassembling them - the orange bit peels off. Hazel has one ball in the house which despite being identical to the others lying around is her special ball. We try swapping them around to fool her but no - she knows which is which and that one ball she babies and carries it around - even takes it to bed with her. Despite all this - and the high purchase price - they are still the best balls and definitely Hazel's favourite. Our other two dogs don't care much about balls at all.

Whilst the dog will happily carry his ball to the park and back, one of his games that will probably get at least one of us killed, is to lob the ball into the road going down hills or sometimes waiting to cross the road and then try and drag me after it.

At least one ball was hit by a truck on the main road and disappeared off into the distance like a cannon ball, never to be seen again.

Last edited:
Soldato
As chrisxl200 mentioned, the Chukit balls seem.pretty indestructible, but a bit more expensive, about £15 for a 3 pack.

My current and previous Lab haven't managed to finish one off . The more solid ones dont squeak but make a whistling noise when thrown etc.
I've managed to get a pack of 3 Kong balls from Pets At Home for £4. But I might consider looking at those Chuk-It balls and seeing if my dog takes to them.

Caporegime
Koda on our Saturday walk in sunny grey June!
EEjIIgk.jpeg

20YShdB.jpeg

nTAbnZD.jpeg

Associate
Our Cairn Terrier pup (now 11 months old) appears to have contracted a nasty case of 'Puppy Strangles'. Never heard of it before but the Vet reached that conclusion after a week of treatment. It's a rare disease mostly seen in pups 1-4months of age but can be seen in older dogs though even more rarely. Symptoms are pretty unpleasant with crusty/scabby eyes and multiple large cysts appearing on head and body. Serious if untreated and possibly fatal, but Lyra is getting steroid and anti-inflammatory treatment so we're hoping for the best.

Our Cairn Terrier pup (now 11 months old) appears to have contracted a nasty case of 'Puppy Strangles'. Never heard of it before but the Vet reached that conclusion after a week of treatment. It's a rare disease mostly seen in pups 1-4months of age but can be seen in older dogs though even more rarely. Symptoms are pretty unpleasant with crusty/scabby eyes and multiple large cysts appearing on head and body. Serious if untreated and possibly fatal, but Lyra is getting steroid and anti-inflammatory treatment so we're hoping for the best.
I've not heard of that either!

Poor pup. Sounds awful. :(

Associate
I've not heard of that either!

Poor pup. Sounds awful. :(
Yes I had to Google it myself. Affects only certain breeds (Dacshunds is one!) and is idiopathic but with possible genetic involvement. Not much is known for sure about causes but I was advised to let the breeder know because no more litters are to be bred from that pairing. Neither is a dog who suffered from it to be bred (but we had no intention of doing that anyway). We took Lyra off one medication and today started the high dose of Prednisolone + NSAID which is itself a source of side effects. She'll be on it for maybe a month and then treatment tailed off and close health monitoring continued. Horses can also get Strangles but the two diseases not are not related.

Associate
Just had a pretty horrid 10 minutes out walking our dog. She (Lola) was on a retractable lead, I dropped the handle, with it being a retractable lead it started winding itself back in towards her, scraping on the concrete road as it went along making a fairly loud noise, this spooked her (she a quite nervous dog regards sounds etc) and she ran off. I tried to run after and was shouting her but being as I'm fat and totally unfit I fell over gashing my elbow.

Thankfully she ran home which was about 200 meters away, but it was a horrible few minutes not knowing where she'd gone. When I dropped the lead we were 20 meters from a busy main road, had she ran that way :(

I've patched my elbow up best I can, had no first aid stuff at home so had to go to the chemist. Could have been much worse and I'm looking on it as a wakeup call. I'm not using a retractable lead again in case I drop it again and spook her. Going to use a traditional lead that I can put my hand right through and loop around my hand. Love her to bits, would've been heartbroken had anything happened to her.

CVPF6gY.jpeg

Caporegime
Just had a pretty horrid 10 minutes out walking our dog. She (Lola) was on a retractable lead, I dropped the handle, with it being a retractable lead it started winding itself back in towards her, scraping on the concrete road as it went along making a fairly loud noise, this spooked her (she a quite nervous dog regards sounds etc) and she ran off. I tried to run after and was shouting her but being as I'm fat and totally unfit I fell over gashing my elbow.

Thankfully she ran home which was about 200 meters away, but it was a horrible few minutes not knowing where she'd gone. When I dropped the lead we were 20 meters from a busy main road, had she ran that way :(

I've patched my elbow up best I can, had no first aid stuff at home so had to go to the chemist. Could have been much worse and I'm looking on it as a wakeup call. I'm not using a retractable lead again in case I drop it again and spook her. Going to use a traditional lead that I can put my hand right through and loop around my hand. Love her to bits, would've been heartbroken had anything happened to her.

CVPF6gY.jpeg
Last night up the mountain dog went crazy as saw some sheep. Dread dropping the lead or it snapping or something. No idea how far he'd go!

Soldato
Dog running off.

I had the exact same thing happen last year.
I think I experienced pure terror as she ran across a road to get to our house.
Though I was the 1 who was nearly hit by a bike because I was blindly chasing her.

I bought a strap that loops around the handle of the retractable leash which then clicks into place around my wrist.
Prevents any further accidents.

Back
Top Bottom