Show us your kitty cats

Associate
Yeah I get it. You want to help. I think what you're doing right now is the right thing. I would stick with plain chicken in that case. Little to upset the stomach when prepared properly. The less upset it gets the more chance it has to recover. These things take time though.

If her behaviour changes, take her to the vets. Otherwise, my diagnoses is lots of cuddles. :)

Thanks for the advice, will keep an eye on her over the weekend and see if she gets any better. :)

Associate
Random one for cat fans.

Had some brilliant customer service from Sureflap - we've got a microchip pet-door for our moggie as she's a big cat (we think she's got some Norwegian forest in her).

Pet door started playing up after 6 months - wasn't re-locking/staying locked which was causing issues (very uncommon i'm told- we've got friends who have had these for 6+ years with no issues.)

I called sureflap directly. Lady on the phone was very nice - posted me out a brand new one the next day, no questions asked. They even provided a bag + free postage to sent the faulty one back.

Associate
In need of a bit of advice if possible.

Our cat hasn't been well the past few days, we noticed she had the runs on Sunday I think it was. We were a tad careless Saturday night and the cat ended up licking a bit of BBQ sauce from a hunters chicken. So we stopped giving her food to let her stomach hopefully settle, then started giving her bits of chicken to ease her back in to eating again. She seemed to be getting better, so yesterday we gave her some of her normal food, not as much as she used to have, just a bit of it, butagain this morning, she'd had the runs, and for the second time was unable to make it to her litter tray and had made a mess on the carpet.

Bar having an upset tummy, she's been her normal self, running about, rolling on the floor and playing. Probably wanted cuddles more than usual but that's to be expected.

Anything to worry about? What do people reckon?

Keep a close eye on her mate, if it's still happening in a couple of days get her to the vets. Could be many things, but both of ours have hyperthyroidism, and this is one of the symptoms. Better safe than sorry. Difficult to tell too, as they still act the same.

Soldato
Random one for cat fans.

Had some brilliant customer service from Sureflap - we've got a microchip pet-door for our moggie as she's a big cat (we think she's got some Norwegian forest in her).

Pet door started playing up after 6 months - wasn't re-locking/staying locked which was causing issues (very uncommon i'm told- we've got friends who have had these for 6+ years with no issues.)

I called sureflap directly. Lady on the phone was very nice - posted me out a brand new one the next day, no questions asked. They even provided a bag + free postage to sent the faulty one back.

Had the same issue here. The catch wasn't coming back up after the cat came in. Resetting it didn't work and i had a new one the next day and said i could keep the old one.

The only problem I had with the SureFlap cat door is the measurement are very tight which I found after cutting the whole precisely to the size on the template. Trimming a front door which is a 2" thick solid wood door was not fun. A bit more clearance needs to be factored in. Apart from that the quality is superb and works perfectly with Millie's chip.

Soldato
We brought a 5 month old tom in to live with our then 12 year old neutered female. I'd read of all of the available advice and was prepared for trouble.

As it happened there were no significant problems and no special measures required.

Soldato
Have people had any success introducing a kitten to a resident house cat? What methods have you used to do so?

Me. I introduced a 12 week old kitten to my then 3 year old cats. He was a very confident kitten which helped. Just plonked him down. Lots of hissing and some swiping (on both sides) but they were fine. One of my older cats then sadly was killed just over a year ago. The other two are now nearly 5 and nearly 2. If anything losing their brother has brought them closer. I had this for the very first time at the weekend.

Associate
Have people had any success introducing a kitten to a resident house cat? What methods have you used to do so?

When we introduced Kato and Evie we kept her in the cat carrier so they could sniff each other for 5 min then we set her up with everything we needed in a spare bedroom then after a week or so we let her roam the house when we were in with the cat flap locked. After a month she was free to roam. The only time they ever fight it because she has jumped on him. They do sometimes play but in general they get on with their own cat stuff (Kato sleeps on top of stuff and she sleeps on the radiator bed)

Associate
And she is lovely! :>

She is a lovely cat - and incredibly affectionate to the point where, she complains if you don't pick her up and fuss her every 5 minutes. She's incredibly placid - likes to play but never scratches and never bites (when she play-fights even then, she never really goes for you).

She seriously is the perfect cat - however....

My wife is pregnant with our first child. Phoebe likes to sit on your lap and sometimes on your head when you are sleeping. This has obviously been raised as a bit of a concern with the wife, especially with a sleeping baby likely to be around.

I know you can get nets and stuff for cots and the like - i'm actually more interested in hearing about how a new human coming along can affect cats or other pets - anybody got any experiences?

Associate
She is a lovely cat - and incredibly affectionate to the point where, she complains if you don't pick her up and fuss her every 5 minutes. She's incredibly placid - likes to play but never scratches and never bites (when she play-fights even then, she never really goes for you).

My wife is pregnant with our first child. Phoebe likes to sit on your lap and sometimes on your head when you are sleeping. This has obviously been raised as a bit of a concern with the wife, especially with a sleeping baby likely to be around.

I know you can get nets and stuff for cots and the like - i'm actually more interested in hearing about how a new human coming along can affect cats or other pets - anybody got any experiences?

My two think babies are scary, but this was a one off meeting and they are overly cautious around most guests anyway.

Soldato
@jonessa

One thing I would recommend to help the cat adjust is to start playing crying baby sounds when the cat is around, so kitty gets used to the sound before the little person appears for real. It's important to remain calm when the crying sounds are being played, so kitty gets used to it just being a normal every day thing.

Also when my sister had her kids, she got hubby to bring home stuff that the baby had been wearing, so her dog (would apply to cats as well I'm sure) got used to the smell of the baby as well, before they appeared.

My two cats have been fine with my nephews since day one. If anything, the teeny squawking people means they clear off somewhere else when they're about :)

Soldato
And she is lovely! :>

The whole cats sleeping on a babies face is an old wives tale. Cat probably won't go near the baby for a while. As parents you are responsible for making sure cat isn't in the cot with the baby :)

Soldato
Agree with the old wives tale bit and you may well find that the cat(s) will keep away for a while whilst getting used to the inevitable noise of the baby crying. Once my Millie got used to the granddaughters racket and the wee one started crawling about then they became the best of friends and Millie would tolerate tail and ear pulling whilst purring quite contentedly. If it got too much she gently extracted herself from the babies clutches and moved to a higher location.

Back
Top Bottom