Show Us Your Motors!

If I was a new driver now I would rather get the bus than drive a 1.0 with those silly boxes in that measure your driving at awful no matter how careful u may be.

Sure you would. As a young driver the sole purpose of a car usually is to get you around cheaply, not get you there at rapid speed.

I would do the exact same in your position. Most new drivers pay around 2k on crappy 1.0 Corsa's that take like 15 seconds to hit 60 so at least your ST is pretty quick at 8.5 secs to 60 compared to most first cars and its a nice comfy drive.
Having learnt to drive in a awful 1.0 car I saved up to buy my first car that would be at least a 1.6 Focus and have abit of go in it. That set me back 1.7k to insure. If I was a new driver now I would rather get the bus than drive a 1.0 with those silly boxes in that measure your driving at awful no matter how careful u may be.
Don't see how anyone can say that X amount on insurance is not worth it etc. it's something that had to be paid and I don't think anything of it. I'm 28 with a clean licence and 5yrs no claims but still paying 1k as its Liverpool despite the fact my area is fine.
this exactly, its very comfy and pretty fast too. It alright saying its a crap car when you have a Bentley in your sig, but its actually really nice. the main problem for me it that i can't get a bus to work and i would need to get 2 different buses to college. i used to cycle everywhere, but doing 100 miles a week on my bike was awful. All i did was cycle work and eat. i was tired all the time.
Sure you would. As a young driver the sole purpose of a car usually is to get you around cheaply, not get you there at rapid speed.
I am a car enthusiast i don't want something cheap, i want something fairly fast to drive. The mondeo has quite precise steering with a decent weight compared with all the cheap cars, its also much safer and it doesn't rattle.

Last edited:
I would do the exact same in your position. Most new drivers pay around 2k on crappy 1.0 Corsa's that take like 15 seconds to hit 60 so at least your ST is pretty quick at 8.5 secs to 60 compared to most first cars and its a nice comfy drive.
Having learnt to drive in a awful 1.0 car I saved up to buy my first car that would be at least a 1.6 Focus and have abit of go in it. That set me back 1.7k to insure. If I was a new driver now I would rather get the bus than drive a 1.0 with those silly boxes in that measure your driving at awful no matter how careful u may be.
Don't see how anyone can say that X amount on insurance is not worth it etc. it's something that had to be paid and I don't think anything of it. I'm 28 with a clean licence and 5yrs no claims but still paying 1k as its Liverpool despite the fact my area is fine.

As ridiculous as 3.5k is, that's actually a very good point. People thought I was nuts paying 1800 to insure my Jag at 18, when even my old Astra would still have cost 1400. 400 difference is nothing in terms of running a car.

Insurance for new drivers is certainly way more expensive than when I was 17 :( I'm pretty sure the most I've ever paid for a premium was about £1200 and that was on a 1.6 Renault Megane when I was 18.

well my dad can get insurance quotes on pretty much anything for under £500. what is very depressing is that people who drive badly, but are 10 years older and 'more experienced' pay way less.

I'd suggest that people with 10 years driving experience more than likely are less likely to drive badly than over confident new drivers ;) Of course there is an exception to the rule as always.

I have to say I don't envy young drivers these days - insurance seems crazy. Heck, even I paid over £700 Third Party Only on my first car and that was 16-17 years ago.

Done the following route to Beachy Head with a few mates some weeks back (the last extremely wet weekend we had down south) -

Was both great and tense lol. what surprised me the most was how well my Kumho ECSTA V70A tyres held up. Think I only had one "oh ****" moment.

picture of beachy head on the day -

Will post a few more pics later

Would you mind sending me a link of the route, please? I'm always looking for new routes to try, and that looks like a good one :)

A few friends from work and I did High Wycombe to Bicester on Sunday (170 miles) which was really good. Can send you the link if you want.

hKZBTbL.jpg

RdFEHOk.png

Last edited:
Insurance for new drivers is certainly way more expensive than when I was 17 :( I'm pretty sure the most I've ever paid for a premium was about £1200 and that was on a 1.6 Renault Megane when I was 18.

Crazy indeed. my brother took [and failed] his first test yesterday. I'm sure he will pass soon though. I have been doing my bit to help him find a car and a policy that isnt crazy money.

Cheapest car + policy combo we can come up with is a fiesta with a 2k policy.
How any 17 year old is supposed to afford that is beyond me.

My first three years were around the 1000-1200 mark which I considered to be the end of the world at the time. :p

Crazy indeed. my brother took [and failed] his first test yesterday. I'm sure he will pass soon though. I have been doing my bit to help him find a car and a policy that isnt crazy money.

My first three years were around the 1000-1200 mark which I considered to be the end of the world at the time. :p

Is this 2k with blackbox? I'm 18 and my quotes are nearer to 1k mark with blackbox than they're to 2k. But without blackbox its around 2k for some crappy 1.0-1.2 engines... :(

Still cheaper than Singapore :eek:

Would you mind sending me a link of the route, please? I'm always looking for new routes to try, and that looks like a good one :)

A few friends from work and I did High Wycombe to Bicester on Sunday (170 miles) which was really good. Can send you the link if you want.

That looks like an interesting route. And it isn't far from where I currently live.

wonder if we'll be using it for our hoon to the piston heads Sunday Service at Silverstone!

Will try to get the beachy head route details for you!

I'd suggest that people with 10 years driving experience more than likely are less likely to drive badly than over confident new drivers ;) Of course there is an exception to the rule as always.

I have to say I don't envy young drivers these days - insurance seems crazy. Heck, even I paid over £700 Third Party Only on my first car and that was 16-17 years ago.
third party is more expensive than fully comp these days :(

good luck to your brother. the last thing you need is to keep paying for tests when the insurance is so much. i had to leave school and get an apprenticeship to afford the insurance for my car.

Is this 2k with blackbox? I'm 18 and my quotes are nearer to 1k mark with blackbox than they're to 2k. But without blackbox its around 2k for some crappy 1.0-1.2 engines... :(

Still cheaper than Singapore :eek:
[youtbe]
Singapore is crazy expensive, i would have to leave the country if i lived there!

That looks like an interesting route. And it isn't far from where I currently live.

wonder if we'll be using it for our hoon to the piston heads Sunday Service at Silverstone!

Will try to get the beachy head route details for you!

Thanks! Let me know if you want the Google Maps link for mine.

What? You left school purely to pay for your car insurance?! I really hope there were other factors to you leaving.
no no not just to pay for car insurance. there were many other reasons as well. :D i did have a car when i was still at school, but i could only afford provisional insurance, so i still had to get the bus.

Back
Top Bottom