Show Us Your Motors!

Man of Honour
Oh that's all fine, time and a place for everything and all that!

But you've seen the type I'm on about, the usual "spotted supercars" crowd, always revving at every light, always revving when parked up :p

Soldato
Why is there so few members on here "motors" lately :confused:I've noticed over the last week or two there's only ever a handful of members on at one given time. :eek:

Soldato
Oh that's all fine, time and a place for everything and all that!

But you've seen the type I'm on about, the usual "spotted supercars" crowd, always revving at every light, always revving when parked up :p

Back to my point on simulated car engine sound.
Car exhaust noise is similar to loud music - only the person playing it wants to here it, no one else is in the slightest bit interested.

Pumped into the cabin engine noise means the driver should be happy and so is everyone else not in the car because they can't hear the noise pollution.

Save the loud sounding engines for the F1 track.......oh :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Depends on the noise, if it sounds like a hairdryer, then nobody wants to hear it - So having synthetic sounds pumped in the cabin is all well and good for the occupants, but everyone else hears a hairdryer :p

If the engine/exhaust sounds somewhat exotic, then different matter. Generally only the elderly and people with a general complaining attitude don't want to hear that.

But again, time and place for everything. All cars sound much nicer anyway when accelerating on the road, not when revving standing still.

Soldato
Depends on the noise, if it sounds like a hairdryer, then nobody wants to hear it - So having synthetic sounds pumped in the cabin is all well and good for the occupants, but everyone else hears a hairdryer :p

If the engine/exhaust sounds somewhat exotic, then different matter. Generally only the elderly and people with a general complaining attitude don't want to hear that.

But again, time and place for everything. All cars sound much nicer anyway when accelerating on the road, not when revving standing still.
I made at least 6 school children look up from their phones when I left a roundabout in second with my foot down this morning, does that count? :p

Soldato
Back to my point on simulated car engine sound.
Car exhaust noise is similar to loud music - only the person playing it wants to here it, no one else is in the slightest bit interested.

Pumped into the cabin engine noise means the driver should be happy and so is everyone else not in the car because they can't hear the noise pollution.

Save the loud sounding engines for the F1 track.......oh :p
Why does it have to simulate engine sound :confused: it's a powerful car it should create an awesome sound coming from the exhausts like my ST225 which is probably -100bhp on your R.
Can't be a real sound when u boot it. Knowing its simulated would irritate me.

Soldato
Simulated engine noise through speakers or bolt on exhausts - same difference really. How many cars actually make REAL nice sounding engine noise from the engine!?!

Most are faked through fancy exhaust tubes and/or flaps.

Soldato
Simulated engine noise through speakers or bolt on exhausts - same difference really. How many cars actually make REAL nice sounding engine noise from the engine!?!

Most are faked through fancy exhaust tubes and/or flaps.
I'd have said that there was quite a difference, as the simulated noise is fabricated, whereas an exhaust system uses the existing engine noise and it is all done mechanically.

Permabanned
I made at least 6 school children look up from their phones when I left a roundabout in second with my foot down this morning, does that count? :p

I remember making quite a few people jump and scream in a scared fashion with a buddyclub exhaust I had on my MX5.

It was a decat + straight pipe... so LOUD.

It had been doing the rounds on MX5NUTZ forum for a few years because it was too loud for everyone.

I thought I'd give it a go for a giggle.

I managed to keep it on the car for a full week before I put something more suitable on.

The blue flames coming out the back of an NA car were pretty impressive :D

Soldato
I'd have said that there was quite a difference, as the simulated noise is fabricated, whereas an exhaust system uses the existing engine noise and it is all done mechanically.

Noise being fabricated electronically or mechanically is different :confused: it's still frabricated :p
There are some awesome sounding one litre Corsa's and some dire sounding F10 M5's.

Permabanned
Noise being fabricated electronically or mechanically is different :confused: it's still frabricated :p
There are some awesome sounding one litre Corsa's and some dire sounding F10 M5's.

That's OK... I'm sure you enjoy fleshlights just as much as the real thing...

/ can't say I've every heard an awesome sounding Corsa... when they're modified... they tend to try to emulate Subaru Imprezas and in doing so, lose back pressure and 1/3 of their torque.

Soldato

Well, not really. It's just tuning the output of the real engine sound, rather than fabricating it entirely. Think of it as listening to a live instrument rather than a synthesised noise of the same instrument. Technically they might sound similar, but the sound of a real instrument is much more satisfying and natural.

I would much rather listen to the real sound of an engine/exhaust, even if it has been engineered to deliver that sound, than a completely fake engine note delivered through the speakers.

Just to clarify though, I'm not talking about the utterly ridiculous cracks/bangs that are engineered into a lot of modern performance cars to happen on every single shift. If they happen naturally as a result of the way the car is fuelling, fine, but there's a guy who lives near me who drives some big Mercedes, might be C63 or something, who boots it up the road sometimes and it sound horrendous. Makes a kind of farting noise on the up shift and it just sounds like the car is broken.

Man of Honour
Pops and bangs get tiresome, I tweaked the map on the MX5 to give a couple of pops/cracks on the over run before decel fuel cut came in. It was all fun and games for about a week and a half then it just got annoying after it did I everytime you lifted off above 2500rpm or changed down from 3rd to 2nd slowing for any reason

Back
Top Bottom