Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
Picked up my f10 m5 a few weeks ago, I had one before but never gelled with it. Anyhow one RS4 supercharged later and I decided to give it another go as they offer so much value for money

This time I went for a comp pack car
Ceramic brakes
Soft close / comfort access
Cooled seats
heated wheel
360 camera
side camera
extended leather
electric rear blind
side blinds
etc

Untitled by Ross c, on Flickr

Caporegime
Tempting these M5's now if you have 25k to 30k to spend.

The thought that always hits me is; sure you can afford the initial outlay, but can you afford to run that car and keep it maintained to the standard it requires? This video is one that I watched a while ago that really sums it up (very extreme end of the market though!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsKDGdcb6BQ

I know a few people who are prime examples and are running m3's on budget tyres - skipping services etc. because they really cannot afford it.

Man of Honour
You need to ensure it has a solid manufacturers warranty. I don't know much about the F10 M5 frankly, I've not done any reading but obviously know the F10 well having ran one for 100K miles and 4 years or so with hardly any issues but this is a different kettle of fish.

Soldato
Thanks guys, I am really enjoying this car for now. I have another car day to day so this is a bit of a weekend car and with the weather how it is its not had loads of use but i will say the competition pack was what my last m5 was missing, it just responds in a much nicer way, turn in feels tight and compromised, yes there is still a lot of weight but it doesn't feel it

The only grip i have with the m5 is the noise but that is all cars of this type now, its either fake or quiet or both.

Also reference brakes, supposedly 5k a disk is banded about, also 500 for pads however they last such a long time it equals out, the disks are supposedly a lifetime thing but who knows. Usually ceramics see 100k plus depending on use, if your read the bmw blurb on the ceramics these are manufactured to last a lot longer than this. I dont see them as a cost issue as i genuinely dont think the disks will get replaced with my use, of coarse you can damage them a lot easier, mounting wheels require greater care.

That said I know this is huge pricing for a lot of people you can buy a full bolt on set of ceramic brakes for 8k on ebay from a bmw dealer including calipers and so on.

I remember my last m5 took a lot of getting used to to feel confident to open it up, this one is the same i am driving so tame at the moment with it generally because the weather and roads are poor but also it has to be said, traction is a issue its almost unusable in some situations. I wish i had the money to wait and go for the new f90 m5 which will have 4wd because potentially that will be a weapon

OcUK Staff
Thanks guys, I am really enjoying this car for now. I have another car day to day so this is a bit of a weekend car and with the weather how it is its not had loads of use but i will say the competition pack was what my last m5 was missing, it just responds in a much nicer way, turn in feels tight and compromised, yes there is still a lot of weight but it doesn't feel it

The only grip i have with the m5 is the noise but that is all cars of this type now, its either fake or quiet or both.

Also reference brakes, supposedly 5k a disk is banded about, also 500 for pads however they last such a long time it equals out, the disks are supposedly a lifetime thing but who knows. Usually ceramics see 100k plus depending on use, if your read the bmw blurb on the ceramics these are manufactured to last a lot longer than this. I dont see them as a cost issue as i genuinely dont think the disks will get replaced with my use, of coarse you can damage them a lot easier, mounting wheels require greater care.

That said I know this is huge pricing for a lot of people you can buy a full bolt on set of ceramic brakes for 8k on ebay from a bmw dealer including calipers and so on.

I remember my last m5 took a lot of getting used to to feel confident to open it up, this one is the same i am driving so tame at the moment with it generally because the weather and roads are poor but also it has to be said, traction is a issue its almost unusable in some situations. I wish i had the money to wait and go for the new f90 m5 which will have 4wd because potentially that will be a weapon

Ceramics are fine, just avoid over heating them on heavy track use as some versions of ceramics are prone to that. Of course if you ever remove or have wheels removed by anyone other than BMW, advice them of ceramics and to remove wheels carefully as ceramic disc can be chipped easily. I'd always inspect the disc and take photos before leaving with a dealer, so if they damage them and try to deny, just show the photos timestamp/date. But apart from that they can easily last 100-200k miles per set and the brake pads tend to last double the amount of time too.

I'd not worry at all about buying one of these M5's, just buy from dealership, even if they are 1-2k overpriced and just make sure you get a minimum of 2yr warranty and keep it extended, as such any failures are then covered, but I think these newer M5's are far stronger and more reliable than the E60 V10 variant which did have quite a few known weak areas, but that engine was truly something else.

Caporegime
Ceramics are fine, just avoid over heating them on heavy track use as some versions of ceramics are prone to that. Of course if you ever remove or have wheels removed by anyone other than BMW, advice them of ceramics and to remove wheels carefully as ceramic disc can be chipped easily. I'd always inspect the disc and take photos before leaving with a dealer, so if they damage them and try to deny, just show the photos timestamp/date. But apart from that they can easily last 100-200k miles per set and the brake pads tend to last double the amount of time too.

I'd not worry at all about buying one of these M5's, just buy from dealership, even if they are 1-2k overpriced and just make sure you get a minimum of 2yr warranty and keep it extended, as such any failures are then covered, but I think these newer M5's are far stronger and more reliable than the E60 V10 variant which did have quite a few known weak areas, but that engine was truly something else.

Was talking to my indy recently and engine reolacement and repair costs are Sig ificantly lower on the f's rather than e's. Bmw have recently hiked the price of some of the components on the older car massively with no explanation as to why. We're talking a 5 to 8 fold cost increase.

Man of Honour
tbh it dont look any different to a m sport 5 series. this is the problem with the M cars as of late.

It's not the problem it's the point - the M5 has always been about understated performance.

A 1999 BMW M5 looked virtually identical to a 1999 BMW 528i Sport. The bumpers even had the same part numbers.

Don
Yup. BMW M-cars have always been about looking like a simple series car that you can drive to meetings, take customers out for lunch, and do the airport run during the week. Then have it rip your face off on the right road or on a track.

Soldato
yeah the m5 lacks in looks, although its wider than the other cars, has other body stylings things it is still taim looking and unless you put a 520 msport next to it do you realize the differences

being a audi fan this is something that did / does gripe me the m5 looks really smart but you do need to look hard to see why

m3 is a wide body car

Back
Top Bottom