Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
Reminds me of an alien about to bite :)(Xenomorph - Alien movies). Need some water dripping off the grill teeth.
Alien.jpg

Alien1.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
7a26798715df413a244ab9fb9ebc9292.jpg

Can't pick it up yet as BMW Germany are holding 14k cars due to 'rear light issue'. That's all the info they've released, so I've no idea how long until I pick her up.

Good choice, what extras did you opt for?

Did you buy that locally? I only ask as I'm from Worcestershire and I believe VF is also.

It is the competition yes.

In terms of a comparison for context it is a DCT car and I came from a ZF Auto M140i.

Handling- I have been surprised at the difference between them so far. I expected it to be more focused but it is in an entirely different league really. The front end is incredible, just pitch it into any corner at any speed and it seems to oblige. Can then straighten it up with the accelerator even more so than the M140i. Even in the fairly damp and cold conditions we have had recently there is a decent amount of grip compared with the M140i which I always thought had some trouble putting its power down and did get frustrating at times. The LSD clearly helps and there is certainly a lot less roll than I used to experience with the M140i.

Engine- as I mentioned still running in so can't say too much yet. It does not feel turbocharged although the b58 in the M140i did not necessarily either. Soundwise clearly the particulate filters have had a significant impact. It is not overly quiet, certainly on cold start when it makes me wince for my poor neighbours. Different tone to the M140i which I think had more pops etc on downshift but as with the M140i I expect this to get better as it gets more miles on.

Gearbox- The DCT feels keener on the shifts as expected. It might be that I am trying to drive it as I would the ZF auto but it seems to get itself confused occasionally. I have had a dct before on a Golf R and found this quite similar in terms of occasionally being slow to react when you do something out of the ordinary (ie slow down to a round about and then accelerate to pull out quickly)

It always puts a smile on my face when I look out of my wing mirrors and all you can see is the massive rear arches. I think it looks much better in person, more agressive and the new design alloys look better in 3d.

Appreciate that write up, figured those would be the likely comparisons drawn.

I think they look great in the flesh and in photo.

Man of Honour
Good choice, what extras did you opt for?

Did you buy that locally? I only ask as I'm from Worcestershire and I believe VF is also.

Just auto, heated seats and Pro Nav. I'll most likely be fitting coilovers for track. I didn't see much value in checking any other boxes.

The car is from BMW Cheltenham.

OcUK Staff
Coilovers on a PCP car ? Heard it all now

They will allow mods, just no engine remapping as not reversible. You just ring PCP request and they agree on basis you inform insurance as you should.
I would be more worried about tracking it, the PCP rules tend to not allow this, though some are fine though just do not permit competition use and of course insurance cover is a must.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with that, return to standard when you're done with it. Plenty of people do it.

It is against the dealer finance terms and conditions to be fair.

Whether or not they allow you to mod certain parts by ringing them and asking is another matter. This will vary between manufacturers etc I'd guess.

Remapping is a also a no no but yeah I bet loads of people still do it.

Man of Honour
Nothing wrong with that, return to standard when you're done with it. Plenty of people do it.

They will allow mods, just no engine remapping as not reversible. You just ring PCP request and they agree on basis you inform insurance as you should.
I would be more worried about tracking it, the PCP rules tend to not allow this, though some are fine though just do not permit competition use and of course insurance cover is a must.

Exactly as above. I'm going to Spa in March so I'll see how the passive suspension is first of all. It's going to be a different experience compared to the FD2 and I don't think I'll be chucking it about any where near as hard.

OcUK Staff
Exactly as above. I'm going to Spa in March so I'll see how the passive suspension is first of all. It's going to be a different experience compared to the FD2 and I don't think I'll be chucking it about any where near as hard.

Just be careful, some lenders won't allow track days, so you either gain permission, of you remove the number plates on track and get insurance cover.

Others have made some valid comments, using additional money to pay it off sooner is probably wiser than modifying a car you do not own, if your plan is to own it at end of term then its not so bad as long as you gain permission to do so as a suspension over haul is quite a big choir if your doing it properly with good coilovers and not some cheap Chinese rubbish, at which point your talking around 2-3k fitted for good stuff.

If its a track car would you not be better of buying something older and more focused, not sure what the car cost you, but would an M2 not have been a better choice?

When I modified the SVR brakes, both PCP and insurance were not interested, they were like your changing out a wear and tear part for a superior part, that is fine, also it was fine because brakes are not covered under warranty, only the calipers and ABS are covered, the disc and pads are not covered as wear and tear, so changing them was a none issue and no insurance premium added. Likewise for changing tyres, in fact the insurance company even asked me why are you telling us, as long as the size is correct the brand is not relevant. I guess this is because many people fit Winter tyres and don't notify insurance because here in the UK fitting of Winter tyres is not a legal requirement in Winter.

But changing suspension, is a bit more 50/50 and no PCP or manufacturer will allow an engine remap full stop, unless it is something they supply and fit under warranty, like Ford Mountune stuff.

Caporegime
Are you fitting active coilovers then ?

Man of Honour
Just be careful, some lenders won't allow track days, so you either gain permission, of you remove the number plates on track and get insurance cover.

All checked with BMW etc, they are fine with it as long as it is fully insured.

I only do 3 or 4 days a year, so will use some RS29 pads. I have the FD2 still but it's an expensive car so I'm not sure if it's worth keeping.

M2 is just that little bit out of reach while I have the FD2. The discounts are no where near as good as what I can get on an M140i.

For a daily car with an occasional track day I'm sure it will be fine. If not I'll buy something old and cheap, perhaps an EP3, 182 etc, strip out and use that. Or an MX5 if I can find one rot free as I really want to go to RWD.

Are you fitting active coilovers then ?

I'm not planning on anything apart from factory fit LSD and pads until I've been to Spa.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom