Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
Yes, that looks smart mate! Have you had some spacers put in there or are my eyes decieving me?

How do you feel to the improvement of the handling? Does it play well with the adaptive suspension, if you have it? What were the changes in insurance premiums?

Sorry for all the questions, quite keen for this!

No worries!
Yes it's had the 25/20mm springs, with 15mm/12mm spacers. Pretty much the mod to have for these cars to be honest.
I do have the adaptive suspension, but to be honest I've not noticed any real change. Feels pretty similar to before, maybe marginally less roll. It's still a very new car, so still getting used to it!
I have declared it all, no increase in premium with Admiral :)

Really like this! Very nice

Cheers! First new car I've ever had, loving it so far :)

OcUK Staff
No worries!
Yes it's had the 25/20mm springs, with 15mm/12mm spacers. Pretty much the mod to have for these cars to be honest.
I do have the adaptive suspension, but to be honest I've not noticed any real change. Feels pretty similar to before, maybe marginally less roll. It's still a very new car, so still getting used to it!
I have declared it all, no increase in premium with Admiral :)

Cheers! First new car I've ever had, loving it so far :)

This I am finding insurance companies these day have become more mod friendly, they just want to be informed, generally only power increases seem to impact premium cost these days or something that significantly increases the car value.

Caporegime
450HP modified E9X 335i or post '07 350Z HR coupe?

New job, 90% payrise, can stop playing with crap cars... But do I want practicality and out and out speed or an all round sports car?

What other exciting things are there for 6K - 10K? E46 M3 maybe? Seems like a risky buy, more to go wrong, higher maintenance costs.

Last edited:
Soldato

New job, 90% payrise, can stop playing with crap cars... But do I want practicality and out and out speed or an all round sports car?

What other exciting things are there for 6K - 10K? E46 M3 maybe?

Honda S2000, you know it makes sense.

Caporegime

What other exciting things are there for 6K - 10K? E46 M3 maybe? Seems like a risky buy, more to go wrong, higher maintenance costs.

Congrats ! even if you were on minimum wage before it means you are on decent money now!!! Enjoy it :D

Caporegime
Honda S2000, you know it makes sense.
I did consider them but I'm not sure its what I'm after right now.
Congrats ! even if you were on minimum wage before it means you are on decent money now!!! Enjoy it :D
Thanks! Fortunately I wasn't on minimum wage before, but it is definitely decent money. And my job title has the word "consultant" in it now! :eek: :p

Moving out as well... Im going to have a mortgage... It all seems far too grown up.

Caporegime
I did consider them but I'm not sure its what I'm after right now.

Thanks! Fortunately I wasn't on minimum wage before, but it is definitely decent money. And my job title has the word "consultant" in it now! :eek: :p

Moving out as well... Im going to have a mortgage... It all seems far too grown up.

You are going to get a lambo aren't you? :p

Soldato
Something like that. Are you stalking my life story? :p

Yeah you're probably right. But with a change like this its hard not to get excited about car prospects... :)

I know, I've had a similar jump.. took a few days to arrange my head and calm down lol! I managed okay in a sense that I went from Z4 coupe to is250 and s2000.. but I could in theory afford fancier metal but I'm too sensible...

What will you replace? Mx5?

Caporegime
I know, I've had a similar jump.. took a few days to arrange my head and calm down lol! I managed okay in a sense that I went from Z4 coupe to is250 and s2000.. but I could in theory afford fancier metal but I'm too sensible...

What will you replace? Mx5?

Yes the MX5 will be going, to be replaced by something nice. E30 is still going to get done up as well.

Soldato
I wouldn't buy a car at all until house is settled. I moved into my first home 2 years ago, and by the time you pay for solicitors fees, surveyors, moving companies (or van rental in my case) and then start doing bits and pieces to make the house livable or your own you've spent around £5-10k more than you expected.

In my first year of house ownership I spent £3k just on small things like redecorating, fixing various leaks in the bathroom, and adding a small patio. Houses are absolute money pits unless you are lucky enough to find one with exactly what you want or are looking for.

Raymond's advice is definitely the most sensible. Wait until you're stable in your new job and have a proper budget set up with new wage that is putting money aside for both the house and a car, then buy it outright when you have a better idea of how much disposable income you actually have.

Car wise, if you buy a 450hp BMW you'll stuff it through hedges and trees immediately - think about how many accidents you've had in much lower power cars!!

Soldato
Yes that would be the sensible thing to do.

But even with more money, I am still me.

We shall see... :p

Congrats on the new job man.

Raymond’s advice is pretty much what you need to follow. I know about the itch and scratching it but cars aren’t everything. Get settled and see what you can afford to buy/maintain at a reasonable cost and go from there.

Last thing you want is a high powered car that you’re not capable of driving and end up binning it.

A e46 m3/335i would be a good car, but they are money pits now. They demand quite a bit of preventative maintenance and tbh a car such as that, shouldn’t really have work done on the cheap.

If you can afford it once settled then fair enough but if I was in your shoes a new car would be the last thing on my mind.

Take your time and get something you actually want, not something you think you want.

Back
Top Bottom