Show Us Your Motors!

But frankly, unless you specifically want a car which isn't viable as a company car, there's little in it financially and I value the totally hassle-free nature of company cars and not having to bother with insurance, road tax, servicing, tyres etc etc.

I dont believe that, unless you are not offered a cash alternative, which you say you are. Under every example i have run in my own and other peoples' situations there is quite a considerable amount in it.

Would you not pay tax on the cash alternative?

Of course. As stated it's just additional salary really so you pay income tax and NI on it. Offsetting that of course is that you're not paying any P11D tax any more. Then again, at least with P11D tax you're only paying income tax, not NI, on the BIK value, and that's only 15% (in my case) of the list price of the car.

It's swings and roundabouts.

I dont believe that, unless you are not offered a cash alternative, which you say you are. Under every example i have run in my own and other peoples' situations there is quite a considerable amount in it.

Comparing like for like?

If I take what the company pays out for the car each month and just add that to my salary instead, then factor in the tax I'd pay on that extra income but less the P11D tax I'd save, we're talking roughly £400 a month in my pocket.

So over two years (the lease term of this car), I'm looking at circa £10k extra income.

The car will lose more than that in depreciation alone in two years, then I have to pay for my own insurance, servicing & tyres on top. There's no way running this car for two years would be cheaper to do myself.

Of course if you start looking at alternative cars or used ones etc then it can work out much cheaper but that's not comparing like for like. You can argue that a nearly new used car is the same as a brand new one but then where do you draw the line? How old does a used car have to be before it's no longer 'comparable' with a new one?

I don't dispute that I could take the money (if they offered it) and source a different car used and save money. What I couldn't do is drive around in a brand new £30k A3 for two years without it costing me more.

My Cooper S Checkmate, which is now for sale. :)

10egapk.jpg

x417c4.jpg

2m3i7wp.jpg

dqq9l2.jpg

dot3eq.jpg

28ilvg6.jpg

cntyu.jpg

I see light under the inside rear of my car in the photos too. Must be a trick of the light, I think I might have noticed considering it's rear driven and has a crap LSD.

That's the first Mini I've ever looked at and liked, looks really nice.

I strangely wish you didn't say that! A part of me really doesn't want to sell it. I just need a larger car, plus I'll be doing more motorway mileage soon which it isn't really suitable for. I'll definitely miss it. :(

It'll be replaced with a Mazda 6 MPS.

Good choice, I'm looking at the 3 if my car sells this weekend, buyers market for the MPS at the mo due to the tax bracket and the people who avoid them because of it

Last edited:
is that a ray of light under the offside rear wheel?

:cool:

I see light under the inside rear of my car in the photos too. Must be a trick of the light, I think I might have noticed considering it's rear driven and has a crap LSD.

Its the tarmac immediately in front of the wheel lit up - look at the shadows/direction of the source of the light.

Good choice, I'm looking at the 3 if my car sells this weekend, buyers market for the MPS at the mo due to the tax bracket and the people who avoid them because of it

I test drove the 3 MPS several times before getting the Mini, it's a great car. I very very nearly bought one, the tax did put me off at the time. I'm going to try and get a pre March 06 6 MPS which will be in the lower bracket, but if an immaculate one pops up in the higher bracket I'd still go for it. I've found the insurance is significantly cheaper than any other performance cars. The 6 MPS is somehow £200 cheaper to insure than my Cooper S which makes up for the tax.

Back
Top Bottom