Show Us Your Motors!

Caporegime
Drive slower ;)

I'm accelerating slowly and gently, my engine has auto start/stop, and I'm not breaking any limits.

This is also at either 06:45 or 3:00, so neither are during rush hour.

There is no way in hell you get 31MPG "round town" from cold.

FWIW, the car is averaging 48MPG~ since I bought it, and gets 60MPG~ on the motorway.

Town driving from cold is incredibly harsh on MPG figures.

Soldato
Paradigm, I had an A4 hire car the other day, was a 12 plate 140bhp 2.0tdi model with the CVT gearbox (which was very nice IMHO) and I couldn't crack 40mpg even on a run. Your figure of 60mpg offers up quite a disparity between yours with, I assume, a manual box, and the one I had. Maybe mine had just been knackered by dozens of previous unsympathetic hire users. I did reset the trip computer (once I figured out how to get it to display on the instrument cluster display) but alas couldn't crack 40 :( And me sticking to the speed limits for the most part.

Caporegime
Mine is indeed a manual, has the newer 136BHP TDIe (not TDI) engine.

The TDIe models are more efficient than the TDI models due to aerodynamic efficiency, removed weight, and lower rolling resistance.

Parkers suggests 53MPG/61MPG for the 143/136 models (both manual).

Man of Honour
Tha's not far off what I do drive. It's 4 miles in rush hour and i'm sat stationary for a good chunk of the journey.

Your car is not in a million years doing 31mpg on that usage profile. If you truely do average 31mpg then you must do other driving that bumps the average off. Thats about as harsh as it gets driving wise, I'd be suprised if it was much above low 20's.

If it was genuinelly capable of such economy on a cold start in slow traffic for 4 miles then it'd have managed a tad more than 24.6 on the urban NEDC test!

Associate
[TW]Fox;23652999 said:
Your car is not in a million years doing 31mpg on that usage profile. If you truely do average 31mpg then you must do other driving that bumps the average off. Thats about as harsh as it gets driving wise, I'd be suprised if it was much above low 20's.

If it was genuinelly capable of such economy on a cold start in slow traffic for 4 miles then it'd have managed a tad more than 24.6 on the urban NEDC test!

Yes I do do other driving that bumps it up and the same route back isn't as busy as I leave work early for the school run which helps, but i mainly drive in and around a town, hence the phrase 'around town' and i do get 31 MPG backed up by the on board computer and me working it out.

As i've already said, my usage of the term 'around town' cleary differs to how it's defined by others and i didn't expect the term to be as clinically dissected as it has been!

Caporegime
This was a mix of extra urban, and across town, but isn't representative of a typical combined cycle (due to being more like an 80:20 split of EU:U):

110hr9c.jpg

The warmer weather is far kinder on my MPG than the last few weeks (I'd have struggled to see 50MPG during the "cold snap").

Soldato
Looks great mate! How are the stone chips though - find mine picks them up all too easily :(

Its actually in great cosmetic condition really, very few marks indeed on the front end given Honda paint and age/mileage, but it does have a small dent that I've noticed in the rear quarter just aft of the door on the drivers side.

Didn't notice it until I got the car home of course :rolleyes::o but I know a very good dent repair guy who has done work for me before, soon get that sorted.

Associate
Thought I'd pop up a few pics of my two cars.

Daily,

Smart 451 Turbo, it has the brabus map with the euro 5 exhaust so should be around 90bhp :) Bit of fun to bomb around in to and from work. Has the leather and panoramic roof so not too badly specced ... For a car the size of a shoe LOL

Edit - I also did the orange wrap ... A LOT harder than it looks!

smart-1.jpg

smart-2.jpg

And my ST170 :) fairly standard but was a Ford demo car so has every single option :) Hopefully trading it in to go Japanese again soon.

st.jpg

st2.jpg

Last pic was about 2000 miles into a trip down to the Med ... Not too dirty even after a few thousand miles. Economy is terrible tho for a 2L 4 pot!

Associate
Ah yeah it does actually say that in your sig. The focus just seems like a pretty average car to run as a weekend car that's all

It's more fun than the spec would have you think, Howard will vouch for that ... And the two Chinese tourists enjoying the British countryside who almost got tangled in the front grille last time I gave him the keys! But yeah it is more warm than hot and not particularly special however that will be changing soon :)

Back
Top Bottom