Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
Make it mint and hold on to it.

Those will be worth a good amount of money again in a few years. Think there's only about 1500 left on the road now, considering there was still 4000 left on the road 5 years ago out of 5500 made originally this shows how rapidly they are in decline.

Main things that kill 106's off is boot floor, front crossmember and inner wing rot. Everything else can be fixed relatively cheaply.

I've considered it, but people thought the same thing about 205 GTIs as well, and they're not worth a lot of money are they?

Soldato
wp20130422002.jpg

wp20130422015.jpg

wp20130422039.jpg

Wing removed, and a whole day of polishing.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Really? I didn't expect that at all. Interesting stuff, makes me want to keep it more too. That and having just spend £500 having the head pretty much rebuilt!

Yes 106 GTI's are only 10 years out of production and there are only 1500 left. When the 205 GTI was 10 years out of production, there was still 19,000 on the road. The 2000 odd 205 GTI's are mainly likely to be cherished or barely used examples so can't see that figure in decline much and they are still fetching strong values. The 1500 odd 106 GTI's are more likely to be used and abused and in a couple of years as values drop and cars get scrapped due to bein uneconomical to repair then values will rise and there will likely only be a few hundred on the road.

Look after it, they are great cars!

Soldato
I love 106 GTI's, I tried to find a decent one a few years ago. I looked at plenty, they were all dogs. Shame. A really clean one now is worth keeping and looking after for sure. A future classic! In fact, and this might sound crazy, but a very very clean low mileage Saxo VTS would be worth keeping hold of.

I think in years to come they will start to appreciate, its a simple, small, fun car. I think one day we will see totally standard ones going for good money.

Soldato
Always had a soft spot for 106 GTI. Hated the Spaxo VTS though...

Like above, tried to find a good one at one point but they were all poor examples. Worth giving it a mint up in my opinion.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
I had an as new 20k mile Saxo VTS in 2007, sadly I modified the hell out of it and when I came to sell up couldn't be arsed to put it all back together and broke the whole car for spares as it was worth more that way.

Stupid me! :(

Soldato
Lol what? They're not worth a lot. You might get the odd one put up at £10k but it's not like you can't get a cheap one.

What I mean is as much as I'd like to make my 106 lovely and new, it's not like it's going to make me my money back.

If I keep it for another few years I might though.

Compared to 5-6 years ago, 205 GTI values have significantly risen (the ones I owned were all sub-£1200) - yes you can get cheap ones, but they're all knackered. My point is, to find a 205 GTI in a comparative condition to one you'd find 6 years ago for sub-£2k, you'd need to spend plenty more money.

Soldato
Worth noting also that there are still after 20 odd years 2000 205 GTI's on the road also. So 106 gti's are far rarer.

rare doesnt mean anything if no one wants one though

the 205gti is a classic hothatch that people are willing to spend over the odds to repair/restore. the 106 in comparison is 'just' another hothatch

not that they are bad cars

Back
Top Bottom