Show What You're Working On

I miss this thread :(, so figured i'd bump it with a little Unity3D tool i've been pulling my hair out over for the last couple hours ;)

kmMnq.png

All it does is randomly place objects on top of another object. Very basic ATM, but i'll be adding extra features (more control over objects, better PhysX support) as and when there needed :)

So, what has everyone else been up to over the last few days?

Almost finished my companies website (www.lab-media.co.uk), just awaiting our content editor to finalise a few things. Also working on a jQuery mobile version that'll work with our QR code

I like it.
I especially like the social media integration.

Did you do the entire design yourself or was it a team of you?

I liked the following fact taken from your website:

George Dyson - in 1953 there was 53bytes of digital data on the entire planet; the size of one emai

WOW.

I like it.
I especially like the social media integration.

Did you do the entire design yourself or was it a team of you?

I designed the whole website but I had a few people assist with the photography, the content and some of the more complex coding at the backend.

The social media integration bar is actually very popular, I created the one on Vortez.net and have since used them in a few other websites. LAB Media is a start up company that me and a friend formed in July. Really cracking on now. Bit of a niche down here in Devon ;)

Without going into too much detail, Vortez and other review sites use existing web packages out there, the work I did for them was just to adapt the site to integrate social media and greater accessibility.

It is very possible for my company to design websites and web apps along the lines Vortez and similar sites, as we build from the ground up so its always matches the clients needs.

I've been working on my units' website, I still can't decide on colours yet but here it is:

http://www.132ndSOAR.com/

Next on my ToDo list:

- Re-shape navigation.
- Fix up general positioning.
- Clean up CSS & HTML
- Add colours.
- Sidebar & footer content.
- Social buttons for Twitter and YouTube.
- A lot, lot more.

Feedback appreciated.

Edit: This thread needs to be stickied.
Edit #2: Forgot to mention, need to test other browsers as I've been working with FireFox 8.0.

Last edited:
Are you designing your site by building the HTML? If so you'll find it's much easier to do that in Photoshop as you can move things around, change colours etc. in seconds, rather than having to re-code everything.

Yes. I'm using DreamWeaver, using design view mostly. I've heard about designing with Photoshop but I'd imagine that the HTML/CSS wouldn't be standards compliant. Also, I bet it'd look terrible cross-browser. :)

Are you designing your site by building the HTML? If so you'll find it's much easier to do that in Photoshop as you can move things around, change colours etc. in seconds, rather than having to re-code everything.

That's why you use CSS! :D

I design with an image file in Photoshop, allows you a much larger degree of flexibility than code in the initial design stage. If it's for a client I always get initial sign-off on imagery rather than code. Nothing worse than coding everything up to have a client turn around and say "Nah...we want this layout instead"

Once happy with the image bash out the CSS to mirror it, cross-browser test it, tweak as needed. Dump content in.

I've not used a WYSIWYG HTML/CSS editor for...well, maybe a decade. I know they are a little better than their table abusing days of old but do they get anywhere near the level of code quality a manual build has? What about cross-browser compatibility and validation?

As for my latest project, a simple Asset Inventory VBScript that uses WMI, messes with the registry, authors csv files and all sorts of goodies! Started simple, but I ended up complicating it for the fun of the code (Far more logic, error capturing than is strictly required :D)

Was going to do some advanced csv updating/editing but VBScript has the worst Array implementation ever and I could not be bothered to implement more code to do what should be a simple arrdeleterow(vbArray, i) :(

Last edited:
Ok, maybe the colours example was a bad one, but what do you do when you want to change the design from 2 column, to 3, or make the navigation horizontal instead of vertical?

PS all the way, every time :)

You don't!

Ideally.

Major layout is not something that is often changed on a whim :p

For any dynamic webpages that are populated with code (Be it PHP, ASP or whatever else) being able to change the layout is only half the battle PS or not.

Cant show anything of my current project as it is highly censored information but its a Database visualized as a dynamic tree or a massive electrical system (database has over 1million rows). All written in javascript and a webservice backend and optomised for IE6!!! as thats what the clients use!

Very tricky to get the info user friendly when there is so much of it. Still in the prototype stages, waiting on the graphic designer coming back with the graphics for it at the moment then i can get revision 2 of it online for the testing stages. Verifying all the information is going to be interesting!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom