Show What You're Working On

Hi Mattius, I still don't follow but would really like to understand. All I see on the image you linked is a border(?) underlining the main navigation text.

I bet I'm thinking too deep into what you're trying to get across. Does anybody else understand?

Thanks.

I believe Mattius is suggesting to enclose the main area (between the header and footer) with a 1px border, so it links them up. As the main area is to open at the sides.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Mattius :)

Also, you need to do the gradient for webkit, in your css, for the header (and footer?). As the blue gradient doesn't show for Chrome.

Last edited:
I believe Mattius is suggesting to enclose the main area (between the header and footer) with a 1px border, so it links them up. As the main area is to open at the sides.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Mattius :)

Also, you need to do the gradient for webkit, in your css, for the header (and footer?). As the blue gradient doesn't show for Chrome.

Spot on.

webpages should flow, basic design principals.

That's why you use CSS! :D

I design with an image file in Photoshop, allows you a much larger degree of flexibility than code in the initial design stage. If it's for a client I always get initial sign-off on imagery rather than code. Nothing worse than coding everything up to have a client turn around and say "Nah...we want this layout instead"

Once happy with the image bash out the CSS to mirror it, cross-browser test it, tweak as needed. Dump content in.

I've not used a WYSIWYG HTML/CSS editor for...well, maybe a decade. I know they are a little better than their table abusing days of old but do they get anywhere near the level of code quality a manual build has? What about cross-browser compatibility and validation?

As for my latest project, a simple Asset Inventory VBScript that uses WMI, messes with the registry, authors csv files and all sorts of goodies! Started simple, but I ended up complicating it for the fun of the code (Far more logic, error capturing than is strictly required :D)

Was going to do some advanced csv updating/editing but VBScript has the worst Array implementation ever and I could not be bothered to implement more code to do what should be a simple arrdeleterow(vbArray, i) :(

VBScript ugly, PowerShell ***!

Sorry to repost this guys but my post was the last one on Page 12 so no one will see it...

Guys,
I have this website here i am making for a local parade of shops...http://bit.ly/qGoAfF

Now at the moment you have to do a lot of scrolling down to see all the shops, what alternative way should i set it out?

I think...

Pic Pic
Info Info

All the way down the page?

Can someone help me do this either in HTML or Dreamweaver because i have tried and it didn't work properly?

It does flow (will flow more once content has been added). Basic design principals do not include one pixel container borders. Simplicity is more.

KISS.

Fair enough, you did ask for views.

A one pixel border is an example, and it is simplicity, linking a page together is a massive part of webdesign, but hey dont listen to me, what would i know!

Also, just finished the mobile version of www.lab-media.co.uk. If you access that URL on your smart phone it should direct you to the mobile version.

Could peeps check it out?

EDIT: Direct URL is www.m.lab-media.co.uk

How comes u didn't make so it changes layout according the browsers viewport with media queries?

Not saying how u have done it is wrong, just wondering what your reasons are for not doing it?

How comes u didn't make so it changes layout according the browsers viewport with media queries?

Not saying how u have done it is wrong, just wondering what your reasons are for not doing it?

Currently we just do a server-side useragent check... seemed to be simpler and work pretty well... haven't done that much research into it really though.

Have changed it now...

Looks good, although I would be tempted to make the site a little wider and introduce a second column, and get a nice header/logo at the top. Looks a bit to generic at the moment. But other than that, I really like it. Very clean.

Also, is there any reason why all the images link to "getfirefox"?

Currently we just do a server-side useragent check... seemed to be simpler and work pretty well... haven't done that much research into it really though.
Have a look at media queries. Much easier to use and code for, plus lets you code the site for multiple different resolutions, ie. desktop screen, tablet & phone.

Have a read of this article

Have a look at media queries. Much easier to use and code for, plus lets you code the site for multiple different resolutions, ie. desktop screen, tablet & phone.

Have a read of this article

Really appreciate that thanks. The main reason why getting a JQuery site up was so we could show potential clients what we can do for their website if they wanted to go mobile. Your link looks very helpful and have forwarded onto my developer.

+rep if I could!

Back
Top Bottom