Show What You're Working On

Soldato
Is there a preferred method between these two (java)?

Code:
System.out.prinf("Hello %s\n" getName());

or

Code:
System.out.print("Hello ");
System.out.println(getName);

Obviously one uses one line when the other uses two, just wondering if there's any 'good practice' reason to use one over the other?

Soldato
Hate to rain on your parade, but considering it's all web based anyway, not sure why you want to do this?

Why not?

I thought it would be nice for people who are using a 64-bit version web browser (Watefox) wouldn't have to use I.E. or another 32-bit web browser aswell.

Sorry.

Did you learn anything new from creating this, or did you have fun while creating it? If so then don't be sorry and keep on doing it, whether it's pointless or not is a matter of preference.

Soldato
I thought it would be nice for people who are using a 64-bit version web browser (Watefox) wouldn't have to use I.E. or another 32-bit web browser aswell.

What is Watefox and in what way is it better than the current commonly used browsers (ie. IE, Firefox or Chrome)?

I genuinely would like to know, because if there is an advantage then I might switch to this.

Soldato
Right, I have had a read about 64 bit browsers.

Basically, if you are running Windows (64 bit version), you may notice an improvement in speed, compared with FireFox (32 bit version), by using WaterFox (64 bit version) instead.

For outright speed though, Chrome still beats every other browser (including the 64 bit ones).

And just to clarify, the name is WaterFox.

Soldato
Why not?

Did you learn anything new from creating this, or did you have fun while creating it? If so then don't be sorry and keep on doing it, whether it's pointless or not is a matter of preference.

Sorry you misunderstand, i'm not saying "don't do it because it's pointless" - i'm just saying that releasing it into the public domain for consumption doesn't seem that worthwhile when you can view it all from the web browser anyway. It's not fulfilling a need that isn't already being catered for by the web browser really.

By all means, if he had fun making it and learnt some new things then that is all well and good in my book, and I can understand doing something for the sake of doing it (i've done this many times myself). Hope this makes sense?

I am a fan of user generated content and find that a lot of open source stuff is better than the retail stuff, but at the same time I generally only use these products when there is a need to do so or something that I can't do otherwise.

Soldato
Another thing I'm working on is O'Shy-Pad, this is for my college assignments in Event Driven Programming.

1HDeN.png

As you can see it's nowhere near ready. I have so much work doing to it, but I should learn a fair bit doing so!

Last edited:
Soldato
Out of interest KrookedUK, I have just done a quick search on grid systems and there seem to be a fair few around.

What separates your gridwork from the others?
Also, is this your final (3rd year) project?

Soldato
I am a fan of user generated content and find that a lot of open source stuff is better than the retail stuff, but at the same time I generally only use these products when there is a need to do so or something that I can't do otherwise.

I understand what you are saying.

My biggest gripe is when I see intelligent University students wasting their time on on developing a program (and then abandoning it after they have got their grade) which isn't really heading anywhere.

My belief is that Uni students should be encouraged to work on programs (for their final projects), which can be worked on further after they have handed it in for grading. The idea is that when the student comes out of University, he should have a program available for the masses to use (possibly in exchange for money). Don't get me wrong...I was one of these students not long ago, but in this day and age, when jobs are hard to come by, Uni students should be encouraged into building programs which can be sold on the market (ie. programs for which there is a demand). To simply rehash an idea which already exists, IMO is a waste of time...time which can be spent on creating software which meets an actual demand and won't be binned after the student finishes his degree.

I also find that Universities in general do not encourage their students (or former students), to come up with the next big thing.

Anyway...as you were gents.

Associate
Out of interest KrookedUK, I have just done a quick search on grid systems and there seem to be a fair few around.

What separates your gridwork from the others?
Also, is this your final (3rd year) project?

Yeah, there are a lot of grid systems out there!

Responsify is vastly different as it will let you customise the template before you download it, so you can change the amount of columns, column padding, gutter spacing etc. through a nice UI. You can also choose the breakpoints you wish to use, to define when you want media queries to kick in (It's geared around responsive design). I'm planning on adding some typography options as well at some stage.

It also gives you a live preview of content re-arranging as you change values. :)

Yeah this is for my Final year project (4th year).

Last edited:
Associate
I'm going to launch it for free and the core functionality will remain free to use, but I may add accounts with extra features that you have to pay for, further down the line. It all depends on how much time I have and if I think people would pay for extra features!

Associate
typer.me

I am starting a project web site for people to write stories, news, reviews and other stuff. Suppose a bit like twitter but without the restriction of having limited amount of words to write. It’s just an idea and it might not go any where, but at least it’s something to do. When the full site is up, members can have the option of changing there background to something a little more stylish and colourful and feature search to find friends. There will be none of this following people, trending or hash tags. Simplicity is the way forward. :p

fez

fez

Caporegime
typer.me

I am starting a project web site for people to write stories, news, reviews and other stuff. Suppose a bit like twitter but without the restriction of having limited amount of words to write. It’s just an idea and it might not go any where, but at least it’s something to do. When the full site is up, members can have the option of changing there background to something a little more stylish and colourful and feature search to find friends. There will be none of this following people, trending or hash tags. Simplicity is the way forward. :p

All of the things you have mentioned there about twitter are its strengths. What is unique about your idea may I ask ?

Associate
All of the things you have mentioned there about twitter are its strengths. What is unique about your idea may I ask ?

I am not saying it is going to be a huge difference to twitter or any other site because there are so many people out there doing the same thing now. But the idea I have is to have fewer restrictions in terms of how many words members can write so that they can express themselves more freely without trying to cram it all in. I also want to make the site as simple and straight forward as possible, as this will help encourages people whom are slightly older and don’t have a clue how figure out the new Facebook timeline or twitter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom