SimCity V (2013) - screens/artwork and information

Soldato
that's just claptrap, it wouldn't be a massive performance hit at all.

Well I'm guessing there aim is for consoles, so the limitations are probably due to console specification limitation.

jl5Svie.jpg

Hopefully the modding community will come to the rescue, they've already increased the size of the areas so you can have larger cities, it wont be long until someone is able to mod the simulation

Last edited:
Soldato
it would however show the huge traffic flaw if they did.
and we all know the real reason for smaller maps they probably tested a large map and the AI traffic travelled in a huge swarm slowly filling the jobs and houses they come across

Apparently the larger the maps the more intensive the simulation becomes and the chances are it wouldn't run on a wide enough variety of computers to allow it to function.

Traffic is manageable and realistic looking enough as it is, they just need to add more options to control the traffic, like turning lanes, over and underpasses etc.

Caporegime
That's supposed to be a genuine reason?

you could cut almost any game down and claim it's because it wouldn't run on your grandmas laptop.

traffic will never be realistic as long as sims don't own homes and hold jobs.

in the real world do you go to the first random job you find from your house? and then do you go to the first random house you find when you leave work?

Because that is why the traffic is so messed up it treats traffic as swarm and not individuals which leads to cars taken the same pathing and silly amount's of congestion which they are attempting to fix with half assed workarounds

Soldato
That's supposed to be a genuine reason?

you could cut almost any game down and claim it's because it wouldn't run on your grandmas laptop.

traffic will never be realistic as long as sims don't own homes and hold jobs.

in the real world do you go to the first random job you find from your house? and then do you go to the first random house you find when you leave work?

Because that is why the traffic is so messed up it treats traffic as swarm and not individuals which leads to cars taken the same pathing and silly amount's of congestion which they are attempting to fix with half assed workarounds

Christ your so aggressive.

All i was saying was what I've read from around the community, forums and twitter feeds.

If you have a problem with what's being said, take it to EA and not me.

Soldato

Pretty much, but I live a couple of hundred yards away and I'm well overqualified to be a newsagent. I'd walk past that shop and leave it open for a less educated sim.

Back in SimCity it's a bit of an unreal expectation. It didn't work that way in previous titles. They could implement it to tick a box and prevent your OCD outbursts, but then everyone would need monstrously powerful PCs. I'm sure you remember that the simulation thread doesn't multicore well from your previous comments.

If you want to assign Sims jobs then there's a different title for that. It's called the Sims.

Caporegime
well whats the point in education if education plays no part in what jobs a sim will do?

nuclear reactors are pointless your playing Russian roulette every day wondering if its going to get educated sims or have a melt down

Man of Honour
You wouldn't need monstrously powerful computers at all, that is not the issue at all, it is not a prossesing power problem. This does not mean you have to simulate real life.good god even constructor had a more intelligent sim algorithm.

It is nursed for a reason, either due to porting the game to other platforms, are due to some massive oversight, which in this game wouldn't surprise me. It was released on a shoe string with so many issues. Make for £10 and make several million profit.

Associate
OMG .... so I finally gave in as I was offered the game for £20 ..... so I bit the bullet lol 15 mins into the training city I get booted by the server and then connection refused ...... why oh why didn't I take the blue pill .....

Soldato
You wouldn't need monstrously powerful computers at all, that is not the issue at all, it is not a prossesing power problem. This does not mean you have to simulate real life.good god even constructor had a more intelligent sim algorithm.

It comes back to an earlier discussion in the thread - the core simulation needs to run in a single thread. By all means run graphics, audio etc in other threads that can utilise multiple cores. It's still a limiting factor - an i3 would have a broadly similar simulation capacity to a 8-core Xeon.

Man of Honour
Which again, is more than powerful enough, to do a far better simulation.

The processing power is hyperbole and nothing but an excuse, or when they say that they have arm ports in mind,

Soldato
OMG .... so I finally gave in as I was offered the game for £20 ..... so I bit the bullet lol 15 mins into the training city I get booted by the server and then connection refused ...... why oh why didn't I take the blue pill .....

Maybe it's 3.0 time.

Not that this patch will improve things much. The more I play the more their design decisions and it's limitations annoy/frustrate me. The way Power/Water is shared between cites be one key nightmare. You have to massively overprovide and turn certain cities in to no go zones due to the huge financial sink hole they become. Another is vanishing recycling trucks... This wrecked my promising 200k city very quickly indeed. Plus misplacing mega $$ buildings and finding you've not quite go it just so... :mad:

I do feel like I'm fighting the game most of time.

Associate
tbph avoid it still, from what i've heard the latest patch has fixed some traffic issues, but the Engine is still flawed(and can't be "fixed" with out the game just breaking.)

Honestly, if you like Sim City games just play Sim City 4 :)

Soldato
Ok so the update has some what fixed traffic, it is a lot more manageable.

I would say its in a position now where it should have been at release. Aside from the really poor developmental choices i.e. plot size, FFA traffic etc

Definitely play it again.

The only really glaring problems now are the region play which just doesn't work.

Apparently the games going down the toilet:

Back
Top Bottom