Skoda

Soldato
been looking at VRSs again - and much lower no. of them for sale from the dealers atm

can only guess that people are waiting to trade in - for the new model in the summer ?

certainly less for sale than around Christmas time

Soldato
Ill admit I'm always conscious of it when the roads are wet! I have looked at other set ups in the engine bay with heatshield but new they cost a bomb and 2nd hand ones are rare!

Im surprised how different that intake setup it compared to the BAM 1.8t I have. Mine is high on the right side of of the engine.

Has the new dogbone bush improved gearshifting much?

Soldato
All 1j platform stuff has the airbox in the same place, his is modded specifically like that. Colder air not from the engine bay

Soldato
OP
Im surprised how different that intake setup it compared to the BAM 1.8t I have. Mine is high on the right side of of the engine.

Has the new dogbone bush improved gearshifting much?

Everything feels more 'connected'. There is a mild vibration but I feel it through the bottom of the car rather than what they say about the dash shaking its self to bits. I'm confident this will be far less noticeable in a few hundred miles.

The air intake is aftermarket. eBay special pipe and now a better filter on the end. Looking at changing to a Jabbasport heatshield and filter in the bay, just got to convince myself that the heatshield is good value at £65.

Soldato
heat shield, as in neatly bent bit of aluminium?

why would you want to stop RADIATED heat getting to the cone?

I thought youd want to stop the cone breathing air above ambient temp, right? air can just be pulled around the silly bit of aluminium. if the heat shield absorbs any radiated heat, youll just cool the heat shield when you put your foot down and the engine pulls in air the air around the shield LOL

Soldato
OP
heat shield, as in neatly bent bit of aluminium?

why would you want to stop RADIATED heat getting to the cone?

I thought youd want to stop the cone breathing air above ambient temp, right? air can just be pulled around the silly bit of aluminium. if the heat shield absorbs any radiated heat, youll just cool the heat shield when you put your foot down and the engine pulls in air the air around the shield LOL

It virtually fully encloses the filter and creates a 'compartment' when the bonnet is shut.

Soldato
pid229.jpg

unless there is a big air feed for the compartment, i bet it will still end up breathing in the heat from the engine bay as the compartment wont be air tight

The S3 and Golf types tend to keep the oe airbox and replace the trunk that goes to the headlight with a 3 inch flexible hose which then pokes into the wing

Soldato
OP
Phil, your poor skoda is always getting taken apart :p

Always something to do, I prefer to DIY as much as I can as its cheaper and I learn a bit. The bumper is easy to remove, two 10mm bolts either side of the bumper and a few T20 Torx bits dotted around :)

Caporegime
Had this 8 months now:

Have recently had a new thermostat fitted which has transformed it, was a bit lumpy at idle which has dissapeared. Silky smooth at idle now. No more temp gauge dropping from the middle when going down hills and mpg is up a bit as well! Coolant temps were ~75 before the change which was right on the minimum mark for the weighted needle to be at the centre. Now it runs at nice warm ~94.

Also had new control arm bushes (console and front) and the tracking done.

It loves the warmer temperatures, just seems to drive better :p. I only had a month of it in the warmth and then 6 months of freezing temperatures which isnt very nice.

Managed to get this out of it on a long drive back from a week away recently (170 miles, 60% motorway,30% country NSL roads and 10% towns/villages). I was very impressed, and i wasnt even babying it everywhere!

Next on my list to do is get a new front Skoda badge as the paint has blown on it and also spray the right headlight washer cover back to the right colour (wasnt the right red wen i bought it :p)

P.S. As is evident from the last picture, i also need to dust the dash :p

Associate
Looking good Jono!

Some good MPG readings for that long journey. I was averaging about 28mpg in February during the horribly cold weather, now it's more like 32mpg.

p.s. I still haven't come across a red vRS yet

Caporegime
Looking good Jono!

Some good MPG readings for that long journey. I was averaging about 28mpg in February during the horribly cold weather, now it's more like 32mpg.

p.s. I still haven't come across a red vRS yet

Yeh the temperature seems to affect the mpg of this car more than any previous cars i have owned. I was averaging ~29/30 for my work commute (which is just villages/towns and B roads) and now since temps are 15 degrees i get 33+ on the same journey.

Soldato
OP
My MK1 MPG readout averages around 35-37mpg on a steady run, that's proper grandad driving though :)

Brother popped round today, twins on the Drive :)

FC5D2301-24A1-43E6-A76B-23038551B84B-1150-000001806BBBF9A3.jpg

Soldato
Does anyone else 1.8t sound a bit farty at low revs? I'm starting to think theres some sort of boost or vacuum leak thats making a sound of air escaping out of somewhere it shouldn't. More problems to keep me busy it seems!

Back
Top Bottom