1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skoda

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Phil W, Oct 12, 2011.

1. booyaka

Capodecina

any obvious stuff to look out for with relatively new VRS Octavia?

Thinking of punting my 530D as it's 8 years old and 105k with some work needing done on it.

Looking at relatively new one with low mileage.

This one is just up the road from me.

What's the real world mileage on the petrol and diesels ??

2. FTM

Soldato

I had a facelift petrol vrs..real world mileage is close to the published figures

obviously if you hold onto lower gears round town it wont be good..but on a long drive you can touch 40mpg ( best I ever managed was just over 42mpg on a run upto aberdeen on the day of prince williams wedding..hardly a car on the road) around town I would put in 26-29

for a 200 bhp large family car I think its pretty good..if you cane it you will suffer accordingly

I still miss mine every time I see another one on the road and I suspect I will get a mk3 when they get round to releasing them

3. booyaka

Capodecina

cheers for that. Vrs's not due to around July/August time with the new model is that right?

4. stoofa

Capodecina

There has been no official date on the Octy 3 vRS - only some leaked pictures (a few of which appeared on the configurator pages of Skoda's own website for a couple of hours).
    Expected time would be August/September - quite what that release will do to the value of Mk2 and Mk2.5's - only time will tell.

5. booyaka

Capodecina

Had a look at the said motor today. Skoda Octavia 2.0 T FSI vRS 5-Dr Hatchback

Like it, very nice inside, mint condition and only 3 k on the clock.

Couple of things that are sticking points initially are no sat nav, no bluetooth phone and doign 15k per year mileage should I stick with a diesel?? I reckon after some calculations I'm around £500 a year cheaper in fuel costs if I do 15k per year with a diesel.

But generally a like for like mileage/age diesel is more expensive to purchase in the first place.

Going for a test drive on Saturday anyway.

6. lordrobs

Capodecina

At 15k a year I'd stick with the petrol.

7. Jono8

Caporegime

Stick with petrol. The TSI in the facelift is even more frugal than the TFSI and i think people manage over 40mpg on a motorway run.

I would rather spend less initially and have the nicer engine and extra power of the TSI than save a few hundred on fuel a year.

8. booyaka

Capodecina

cheers lads. tax disc is £70 cheaper on the diesel but by my rough calcs, if I average the combined fuel figures from the brochure, it will be about 3 years (i.e £1500) before the cross over point between savings on fuel versus the actual cost of the car like for like.

it's generally 70 mile round trip on mainly motorway/a roads that I do plus client visits etc. so on average 250 a week plus a bit of personal mileage at weekends etc.

Loving the boot size!!

9. Jono8

Caporegime

Yeh if it was me i would definitely get the petrol. In my pre facelift MK2 i managed 39 mpg on a long trip from shropshire to Surrey a few weeks ago (without even driving for economy) and the TSI is supposedly even better on fuel.

10. Saint

Wise Guy

Yep it's pretty epic. I can easily get 3-4 sets of golf bags in there :p

11. booyaka

Capodecina

Drove the petrol vrs on Saturday- lovely car. Easy cruiser @ 70mph on dual carriageway and very responsive on the b roads. Handling felt good, plenty of poke and comfy. Can't find a suitable diesel within about 60 miles at the moment to test drive.

Got a p/x figure for my 5 series which is laughable from the dealer. Told them unless they improve the figure vastly, we are not even on the same page.

Like the vrs alot so i'm interested in talking figures with them but at the moment without a "proper" p/x - it's a none starter unless I go down the private/webuyanycar route. But I can't be bothered with that unless a last resort.

12. wozzizname

Wise Guy

I find my CR diesel vrs averages about 48mpg which isn't too bad, and if I fancy taking it easy I've averaged 55mpg on a run.

I've not driven a petrol vrs,I should really have a test drive to see what the performance difference feels like compared to the diesel.

13. stoofa

Capodecina

People always seem to think their own cars are worth more than they actually are - then add in the fact that the dealer needs to make a profit too.
    Best bet would be to get proof of your existing cars value to the dealer (and that doesn't mean lists of what the car sells for) and then take that back to them to see if there is a better offer available.

14. DiCe!

Soldato

Seriously thinking about a Fabia Monte Carlo for my 2nd real car, Corsa at the moment and I am falling out of love with it (Not that I was ever in love with it, it just served a purpose)

Now how to pay for it is the question.

15. melbourne720

Wise Guy

I've been quoted £350 for retrofit of the OEM Bluetooth, including, mic, audio streaming, and integration with maxidot and bolero/columbus (if present).

16. stoofa

Capodecina

Not a bad price - Around £50 - £60 less than I've seen it for.
    Adding a Parrot system is cheaper at around £200.

17. booyaka

Capodecina

yeah - was thinking either that Or a garmin/tomtom with bluetooth/phone thing built in.

18. Gtiracer

Wise Guy

Don't mistake the noise of the charcoal cansiter for this - a mistake i made and walked away frrom buying a car becasue of it, they make a noise like a very light tapping but noticable as soon as you open the bonnet.

Perfectly normal, The charcoal canister is the black box on the left hand side as you are looking at the engine standing in front of the car. So listen to that first before assuming the worst

19. Gtiracer

Wise Guy

Im sure you probably mentioned it, but where did you get yours mapped please Phil?

20. Buckster

Sgarrista

I was looking for an 09/10 plate VRS from a Skoda dealer - seems a lot of stock has dried up or is pretty over-priced - I guess as not many people are trading in atm - as waiting for the new model VRS ... waiting game I think