Sky Fibre Optic

Soldato
I recieved my new Switch. During the install I unplugged my modem.
After the modem reconnected, I was assigned a new IP Address and my the upload cap was removed.

I can now upload at 8.5MBit/s.

Associate
Just ordered sky fibre via quidco , online. Where do i input my MAC code? it says on the order confirmation that i can do this through mysky.

any ideas how?

don't need a MAC to switch to any FTTC provider :)

also rather amusing seeing people saying just enabled and can order, my exchange has had fttc for 2 months, my cabinet done ~2 weeks ago, and can't get sky fttc, going with bt instead.(god help me ;))

Associate
I ordered Sky Fibre on the weekend for a place I'm moving to next week. On the Sky Checker it informed me that Fibre "might" be available for the address and gave it to me as an option to order. So I proceeded.

It did say though that if it turns out that Fibre isn't actually available I will be notified. Has anyone had this happen to them? They must be pretty sure to allow me to place the order but BT's Infinity site tells me it isn't available and SamKnows is reporting that the exchange isn't FTTC enabled until next year!

Also, the last owner had Sky and the phone line and sockets are all already in place. What confuses me is that it's telling me I need to wait until the Sky Fibre installation to get the phone line enabled. Surely they can just turn it back on and I'll get ADSL broadband in the meantime?

Associate
Coincidentally I was just looking into getting Sky Fibre and I spotted this thread. Can anyone tell me how good the wireless router they give you is with regards to signal strength? Our master socket is in a cupboard, so I am going to have to keep the router in there, so I am worried the wireless signal might be rubbish from in there to the laptop.

Associate
Just checking my sky emails and it says that when the bto engineer comes it will be to fit a new phone line. Is this a standard thing they say and mean just setting up the original line and router or will it be a new line. New would be good as the pc is nowhere near the original master socket.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Just checking my sky emails and it says that when the bto engineer comes it will be to fit a new phone line. Is this a standard thing they say and mean just setting up the original line and router or will it be a new line. New would be good as the pc is nowhere near the original master socket.

Not unless you've ordered a new line. The engineer will fit a filtered faceplate.

Soldato
Just a quick question guys - im getting sky fibre installed on the 13th - do i need to specify a data extension kit before the engineer arrives, or will he just do it when he comes? My master socket is by the front door, and there is no power point next to it.

I want to have the extension to run into the room next to the master socket where my PC is - im concerned i have to let them know beforehand or the engineer will not do it when he comes.

Soldato
Do Sky insist on fitting a new socket, if you have the old type (no test socket, not an nte5, assuming that's what is still in use). Might be a bit of a pain if they do and my current socket is perfectly fine and has no issues.

Associate
Do Sky insist on fitting a new socket, if you have the old type (no test socket, not an nte5, assuming that's what is still in use). Might be a bit of a pain if they do and my current socket is perfectly fine and has no issues.

Sky don't do the work BT do.

and yes you need a new socket face.

Soldato
Sky don't do the work BT do.

and yes you need a new socket face.

It's a completely different face so you have no choice for it to be changed.

Well guess BT will have to sort it then. It's the old type socket, that has small wires coming from it, that go to a junction box (I can't remember the actual name), that has the telephone cable coming in from outside and attaching to that.

There's pretty much no slack on it though, just a tiny run of cable, then the box, then a longer run of the smaller cable. The new socket will end up pretty high up the wall, if it even fits, as the little junction box thing is right under the window, so might not be room there for a proper socket.

Chances of them doing a new cable from the telephone pole? As the whole lot is pretty old and tatty (doesn't seem to effect anything), the actual cable between the house and telephone pole is twisted as well.

Soldato
I just had the Sky router delivered and reading through the stuff it says I connect the OR Fibre Modem into the router via an RJ45, seeing as I won't be using wireless and will only have a single PC connected, why can't I just plug the Modem into my PC? I don't see the point of having the router taking up space and a power outlet if I don't need it? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom