Sky Fibre Optic

Associate
Just looked into this for a few mates who are out of country and would be lookig to get Fibre connected when they get back.

Comparing Sky (who they are with for full TV, phone and BB atm) and BT Infinity I got the following numbers (all speeds are taken from what was shown on web pages when running through the orders)

BT - 76 Mbps / 19 Mbps - for 18 month contract works out as £677.55 (£37.65 per month). This includes line rental (12 month up front payment discount) and adjustments for the first 3 months

SKY - 40 Mbps / nothing stated - for 18 months £632.68 (£35.15 per month). This is including the line rental and the upfront charges Sky demand for their equipment.

Between the two I would go for the Infinity option. Yes is a wee bit more per month (£2.50) but this is less than a pint and you get MOAR SPEED and also the option to use your own router (with ease)

Soldato
If you intend to do some P2P downloads, stay away from BT Infinity (unless you intend to get a VPN, which is going to cost an extra £6/month).

I you are not going to be using P2P, then go with BT.

Soldato
If you intend to do some P2P downloads, stay away from BT Infinity (unless you intend to get a VPN, which is going to cost an extra £6/month).

I you are not going to be using P2P, then go with BT.

not everyone is throttled on p2p as i haven,t noticed any change in downloading with p2p but also a Newsgroup is another option to use :)

Soldato
Fibre was enabled on my cab today - think i will move over to sky fibre..

I have received a discount in the post today giving free installation for SFU.

Quidco are also doing £95 cashback too (online only), BT has no cashback option. I am currently with BT for my line rental and O2 for my broadband.

Is the ordering process online for fibre straightforward? I will also need a data extension kit fitted - can this be organised online?

Soldato
Fibre was enabled on my cab today - think i will move over to sky fibre..

I have received a discount in the post today giving free installation for SFU.

Quidco are also doing £95 cashback too (online only), BT has no cashback option. I am currently with BT for my line rental and O2 for my broadband.

Is the ordering process online for fibre straightforward? I will also need a data extension kit fitted - can this be organised online?

Do you have Sky broadband at the moment or just Sky TV?
I'm a TV subscriber but I've not had a free installation offer.

Soldato
Just a sky tv subscriber, must be about 15 years or so now. We used to have sky broadband up until 5rs ago or so

I had originally signed up for updates to sky fibre when it was first announced - that could be why I received the offer.

I can also see the offer when I sign into the mysky portal on the website - have a look there for it? The offer has only come up since my cab was enabled today - has your cab been enabled ?

Soldato
not everyone is throttled on p2p as i haven,t noticed any change in downloading with p2p but also a Newsgroup is another option to use :)

You're right. Some people on BT Infinity are not being throttled on P2P. However, there is no guarantee that you won't be.
Sky DO guarantee no throttling.

Newsgroups: you are looking at paying £5 - £10 per month, so you have to factor this into your monthly cost.

Soldato
Just a sky tv subscriber, must be about 15 years or so now. We used to have sky broadband up until 5rs ago or so

I had originally signed up for updates to sky fibre when it was first announced - that could be why I received the offer.

I can also see the offer when I sign into the mysky portal on the website - have a look there for it? The offer has only come up since my cab was enabled today - has your cab been enabled ?

Thanks Naan. I've just checked the portal page and there's no sign of a free installation offer. Tried adding it and it still says £50+£2.18 for installation. I also signed up for the updates and my cab was enabled a while back.

Soldato
You're right. Some people on BT Infinity are not being throttled on P2P. However, there is no guarantee that you won't be.
Sky DO guarantee no throttling.

Newsgroups: you are looking at paying £5 - £10 per month, so you have to factor this into your monthly cost.

very true i agree :) its kind of where you live and what volume of B.T Infinity is on your exchange ,i,m lucky that most people around me are all on Virgin Cable or Sky T.V deals so i am probably the only one on Infinity in my road and for p2p thats good :)

Associate
Got my Sky Fibre installed on wednesday and went without a hitch. Engineer was going to move my master socket but due to problems with how things were wired up he ended up having to run a data extension up to my "office" (this being the spare room i have been banished to by the missus!).
He hung around until everything was up and running and i had run a speed test which showed 38mb download and 8mb upload which was a massive improvement from my old 3.5mb braodband. Ping dropped from 95 down to 20 as well which is great for my gaming.

Soldato
I've just ordered the Sky FTTC Unlimited, and I'm thinking of ripping out the old BT socket and whatever wiring going to it as I can, I'm correct in thinking they will run a new line in when they come to install it right?

I want to nuke the old socket and wiring as it has caused me problems in the past and was part of the reason I left BT as a supplier (I know Sky are just resellers but I really don't want to deal with BT CS ever again!!)

Also, I don't own a TV, I do watch non-live stuff online though from iPlayer, 4OD etc and noticed the Sky TV Online when I went to 'mysky' thing, so do they let you watch Sky On-Demand with just the Broadband package?

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I've just ordered the Sky FTTC Unlimited, and I'm thinking of ripping out the old BT socket and whatever wiring going to it as I can, I'm correct in thinking they will run a new line in when they come to install it right?

No. Leave the socket alone.

Soldato
No. Leave the socket alone.

The socket is from the 70's and the wiring to it is aluminium, it has caused no end of problems in the past, even OpenReach said it was knackered but they wouldn't replace it, it used to lose the phone line regularly through 'dry joints' and other problems, the line has been dead for 10months+ after I gave up on BT completely, if they don't replace it and renew the wiring when they come I'll be having the same old problems as before. So if the socket and wiring isn't there when they come they'll have to replace it all anyway...

Soldato
If I were you I would pay for a new line, in that case.
You will probably need to inform SKY that you require a new line. Or on the day of the install, you can ask the engineer to do it, though he may refuse.

I would definitely get that line replaced.

Soldato
Just ordered sky fibre via quidco , online. Where do i input my MAC code? it says on the order confirmation that i can do this through mysky.

any ideas how?

Back
Top Bottom