Sky Fibre Optic

Associate
Had it installed today. Fortunately had 2 engineers came as the fibre guys van was in for service so I had phone and fibre guy. he installed a new line for me upstairs save messing with home plugs etc. running sweet at the mo.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a call from Sky, they say the Fibre service in Rochdale is going through the final stages of testing, and should be available to order by this time next week at the latest...time will tell.

If I opt to order is the installation free? I currently have the SKy TV package, Sky Landline, and Sky Broadband Unlimited...

Soldato
Had it installed today. Fortunately had 2 engineers came as the fibre guys van was in for service so I had phone and fibre guy. he installed a new line for me upstairs save messing with home plugs etc. running sweet at the mo.

Congrats - what was your estimate? Have you tried unlocking yet?

Soldato
Had a call from Sky, they say the Fibre service in Rochdale is going through the final stages of testing, and should be available to order by this time next week at the latest...time will tell.

If I opt to order is the installation free? I currently have the SKy TV package, Sky Landline, and Sky Broadband Unlimited...

Why quote yourself Jaymond?

There is a £50 activation fee. I was lucky that 2 weeks ago sky sent me a letter offering free activation in the post, this was sent to me the day my can went live (they beat BT to it by about 2 weeks).

Once you are enabled, long into mysky and then click into the 'offers' section. If they are offering it to you, it can found there.

I ordered through quidco and will be getting approx £70 cashback

Last edited:
Soldato
Sky have sent me a text asking for a MAC from my current ISP (Bethere). I've phoned up Be and asked for it and they said it can take anything from 2 hours to 5 working days to be emailed to me. Hope this doesn't affect the Sky installation date!

Soldato
Sky have sent me a text asking for a MAC from my current ISP (Bethere). I've phoned up Be and asked for it and they said it can take anything from 2 hours to 5 working days to be emailed to me. Hope this doesn't affect the Sky installation date!

If you are moving over to sky talk / fibre you dont need a MAC to order. Sky didnt need one from me , and i moved from O2

Soldato
That's to make the initial order? Won't Sky need one eventually?

They wont need one at all. Its because your line will no longer be a BT line, and will become a sky telephone line. I dont know the ins and outs but essentially you need a MAC to transfer between ISPs on a BT line (and make a seemless change between ISP).

Anyway, ive been very impressed by the whole process - sky have been great so far.

Soldato
They may not need one but they certainly want one from me. In addition to the text message requesting it, my 'Track Order' page looks like this:

2q0mwwi.jpg

My installation is supposed to be on 31st August. I'm a bit confused as it appears from looking at that page that the phone line will be active a few days later. How is that going to work?!!

Soldato
They may not need one but they certainly want one from me. In addition to the text message requesting it, my 'Track Order' page looks like this:

My installation is supposed to be on 31st August. I'm a bit confused as it appears from looking at that page that the phone line will be active a few days later. How is that going to work?!!

Fair enough, it looks pretty obvious you need one then. That box for me was green when i ordered it, i did call sky to confirm whether they needed the MAC and they said they did not.

With regards to the phone line - my service was to be activated on the same date as my install date. Very odd indeed.

Back
Top Bottom