Sky Fibre Optic

Soldato
Just got FTTC installed a couple of hours ago

All good - any good guides on unlocking modem to find max attainable speed? Is it wise to do it now or shall i wait until after the first 10 days

The installer was a top bloke, drilled holes etc and fitted the data extension kit no problems. Top stuff :)

Last edited:
Associate
Just got FTTC installed a couple of hours ago

All good - any good guides on unlocking modem to find max attainable speed? Is it wise to do it now or shall i wait until after the first 10 days

The installer was a top bloke, drilled holes etc and fitted the data extension kit no problems. Top stuff :)

looks so good :)

Soldato
Tempted to rack BT off as they've messed me about.

Openreach have confirmed to me that services will be available to order in November (another story) so if I switch to Sky now, do they get access to provide fibre broadband from my newly enabled cabinet at the same time as BT would in November?

There isn't any delay or anything is there?

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
so if I switch to Sky now, do they get access to provide fibre broadband from my newly enabled cabinet at the same time as BT would in November?

Unlikely. I would hold off for a while. Sky have to upgrade their kit at the exchange.

Soldato
Huawei or ECI?

KIA, just a quick question - am i better waiting past the 10 day DLM period before hacking the modem? As it would need turning off the modem - can it affect my speed? I guess im in no real rush anyway but would like to know :)

Soldato
Sky FTTC (40/10) was installed last night, the OR guy had a nightmare with my phone not working after he came back from the cabinet, the cabinet is less than 400m from me, I told him about all the previous problems I'd had with this line and after several hours he finally sorted it all out but my speed is very, very low at 15Mbs (I was getting more on ADSL2) ping is 60-80 (>20 on ADSL2) upload is great though.... Noticed that I'm getting hundreds of thousands of errors reported, noticed there's a weird hiss on the phone line now too.

I know I have to put up with it for 10 Days but I think I'll be going back to ADSL2 :(

Associate
Doofer

No settling in period with FTTC (mentioned in here and also here.

Sounds like you have a carp line there. There may be a dodgy joint or termination somewhere along there. What results do you get from running a quiet line test?

Soldato
Doofer

No settling in period with FTTC (mentioned in here and also here.

Sounds like you have a carp line there. There may be a dodgy joint or termination somewhere along there. What results do you get from running a quiet line test?

LOL! I tried doing the 17070 and the line kept cutting out :p I did eventually get through and it said there was echo and noise on the line and then it cut out again, it's hammering down with rain and the line has always been at it's worst in these conditions, I'll try phoning Sky later and report the fault though I don't hold out much hope as BT never fixed it and this was the main reason I switched to Sky to begin with...

Back
Top Bottom