Sky Fibre Optic

It took probably a good 6 hours before it got moved to sky, the fibre was running in the morning, but telephone line was only active from the evening onwards

one day for me

Thanks guys. Sky were telling me that if the Fibre was due to go active days before the Sky telephone, then it can't be done. Why on earth they put back to front dates on my order, goodness knows but they have not been very accommodating in trying to resolve this in proper fashion.

My speed has dropped from 38m to 18-20 meg and it's stuck there. People keep mentioning this 10 day waiting time and see if it improves but i'm not to optimistic.

I personally, do not believe that the 10 day period makes any difference.
My connection speed was identical from the day my connection went live, till after 10 days had passed. Nothing changed.

This is the problem with using telephone lines. Reliability is always an issue and the reason why I'm probably gunna go over to virgin. At least they have a steady speed for about the same price as the fibre packages. £30 for 70mb per month as opposed to 100mb for £35........

I've heard far too many bad reports regarding Virgin's service.
They do plenty of throttling and packet shaping.

If you are a light user, I think Virgin is ideal, but if you are a heavy user, you will probably be heavily restricted.

Sky are installing my Fibre this afternoon.

To be clear, do I have to use both my old and my new router?

Will I have to cancel my ADSL sub with them or does it automatically replace it?

How do I gain access to my router to see max attainable speed?

Ta

Sky are installing my Fibre this afternoon.

To be clear, do I have to use both my old and my new router?

Will I have to cancel my ADSL sub with them or does it automatically replace it?

How do I gain access to my router to see max attainable speed?

Ta

The Open reach engineer will fetch a modem with him, and Sky should have already sent you a router.

The modem will have to be plugged into your master socket, which in my case was a complete PITA, and the engineer took pity on me and switched my master socket upstairs without blanking off the old Master Socket (The old one is supposed to be not used as a socket if it is moved due to BTs line ownership rules.) which they are supposed to do....

I personally, do not believe that the 10 day period makes any difference.
My connection speed was identical from the day my connection went live, till after 10 days had passed. Nothing changed.

Mine started off around 25, but volatile, like it would peak at 40 but average about 25. That lasted about a week and now it's a solid 40

The Open reach engineer will fetch a modem with him, and Sky should have already sent you a router.

The modem will have to be plugged into your master socket, which in my case was a complete PITA, and the engineer took pity on me and switched my master socket upstairs without blanking off the old Master Socket (The old one is supposed to be not used as a socket if it is moved due to BTs line ownership rules.) which they are supposed to do....

Yes, I have received the router.

So the modem goes in to the master socket and the router on my desk?

If you are a light user, I think Virgin is ideal, but if you are a heavy user, you will probably be heavily restricted.

I'm going for the top package 100mb which thankfully even if it is traffic shaped I'd hit 50mb which tbh would still be better (cost and performance) wise than the 40mb I would get from sky.

Gunna wait till they call me otherwise I think it's time for a change :)

OK, Fibre installed.

My stats are 36.0mbps / 8.90mbps, this is with checking with Speedtest.net, is this the best way to check and how do I check my actual stats on the router?

I want my full 40Mbps :(

This is the problem with using telephone lines. Reliability is always an issue and the reason why I'm probably gunna go over to virgin. At least they have a steady speed for about the same price as the fibre packages. £30 for 70mb per month as opposed to 100mb for £35........

Good luck with that. If you're in a good area then VM are fine. If you are in a bad area (e.g. student area or anywhere heavily populated) then you can kiss goodbye to expected speeds, voip and gaming.

Wow, after all my line problems an OR Guy came today and was here all morning pretty much but he sure seems to have done something right, sadly it wasn't raining though so I'll keep my fingers crossed for when it does..

Finally a happy bunny! :D

Wow, after all my line problems an OR Guy came today and was here all morning pretty much but he sure seems to have done something right, sadly it wasn't raining though so I'll keep my fingers crossed for when it does..

Finally a happy bunny! :D

I swear the 40mb internet has 2mb upload cap? yet your getting close to 9?

Im getting it soon and plan on uploading lots of videos/streaming so.

Good luck with that. If you're in a good area then VM are fine. If you are in a bad area (e.g. student area or anywhere heavily populated) then you can kiss goodbye to expected speeds, voip and gaming.

:( that's what I'm dreading mate. I'll give it until the end of the month and try and wrangle them some more lol

Anyone managed to get the sky fibre pro service for the same price as the normal fibre?

as mentioned, Virgin's idea of throttling is putting you on half speed instead of like 2MB that some other providers cap you at... I've not experienced any problems with downloading / gaming / VOIP or anything, but then I live in Basingstoke so probably not too hotly contested

I'd already paid for a VPN connection to get round BT's traffic shaping and I tend to use that as a matter of course now anyway

Back
Top Bottom