*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
I guess I am doing something wrong but going onto website selecting Sky Q 1TB box, all channels, (box sets & Movies & Sports) + fibre (cheapest option) + phone line is coming out at £94 (+ one off installation of £59.95) so if you are being offered £76 that is a good deal.

As I said it's only available from the stores within a shopping centre.
Only 2 days left to grab it.

Caporegime
Yeah I understand that, was just wondering why the other poster thought it was a rubbish deal and far more than other people would pay.

Permabanned
How does SKy Q work without Sky broadband etc.

I am thinking about taking up a Plus Net offer with cashback but before I do I would like to know the drawbacks.

Associate
FAO MissChief

Since we have had Sky Q installed in our house, my iPhone 6s will temporarily lose Layer 3 connection to the Router (still get full Wi-Fi signal/Layer 2 anywhere in the house).
Checking the Wi-Fi settings can sometimes show I have a DHCP IP address however, sometimes the iPhone will show a 169.254.x.x address indicating no DHCP is being received (despite having full signal still). Seems to happen more in my bedroom where the Sky Q Mini-box is when it is on or in standby. Have turned the Mini-box off to rule that out interfering with the signal and while it lessens the drops, they still happen. I have even statically assigned a private IP in the range for my iPhone and still will get the 'spinny circle' in the top left of the iPhone indicating loss of Layer 3 between the iPhone and Router - tested by trying to log in to the Gateway of the Sky Q Router with no response yet was reachable on my iPad.

Never happened with the old Sky SR102 router and iPhone is fine at work on a little ZyXEL Router we use for a test bench no loss of DHCP.

Wierd how it only affects my iPhone yet iPad Air is fine no such issue...

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks, Shawrey

Caporegime
Apple devices are terrible for holding onto the 5GHz even when there's a far stronger 2.4GHz signal with the same SSID. Try splitting the SSID's on the RSP. Http://192.168.0.1 then wireless at the top. U/N admin P/W sky then untick 'synchronise 2.4 & 5GHz networks' and apply. Wait for the page to reload, then change the 2.4 SSID to something else, easy to just add 2.4 onto the end then apply again. Reconnect your devices to the 2.4 SSID and see what happens with your signal.

Associate
Apple devices are terrible for holding onto the 5GHz even when there's a far stronger 2.4GHz signal with the same SSID. Try splitting the SSID's on the RSP. Http://192.168.0.1 then wireless at the top. U/N admin P/W sky then untick 'synchronise 2.4 & 5GHz networks' and apply. Wait for the page to reload, then change the 2.4 SSID to something else, easy to just add 2.4 onto the end then apply again. Reconnect your devices to the 2.4 SSID and see what happens with your signal.

Thanks for the prompt reply MissChief - really appreciated! I will try this and report back. Had a niggling feeling it could be something to do with the 5GHz Wi-Fi.

I was advised by the Engineer to not split the SSID's though, as this would cause the Mini Box to suffer streaming issues... Or have I misunderstood the Engineer and the Mini-box will stay connected to the 5Ghz band and while splitting the SSID's and naming the 2.4Ghz purely for my iPhone wont affect the Mini-box?

Thanks, Shawrey

Caporegime
The mini will try and stay on the 5 so changing the 2.4 shouldn't affect it. Mines been fine, although checking it, my mini is connected to my 2.4 channel.

Soldato
Posted in the Sky cancellation thread but sine I'm after Q this might be more useful.

Some questions about Q.

Am I right in thinking that all the PL games and F1 are in UHD now, so I don't actually need the extra "Sports HD" for £6 since I can watch in 4k?
The Mini box isn't dependant on the internet to watch channels, right? It needs to connect to the Q box but if you're just watching normal channels then its the dish and the Q box doing the legwork?
Both the main box and the mini will take an Ethernet cable?

Finally, are the cancellation offers all exclusive of getting Q? We have the box sets with internet, phone and all calls for £64.99 but the best I can get them to offer to add Q+Mini and Sports is £103 a month and £115 setup fee.

Caporegime
Posted in the Sky cancellation thread but sine I'm after Q this might be more useful.

Some questions about Q.

Am I right in thinking that all the PL games and F1 are in UHD now, so I don't actually need the extra "Sports HD" for £6 since I can watch in 4k?
The Mini box isn't dependant on the internet to watch channels, right? It needs to connect to the Q box but if you're just watching normal channels then its the dish and the Q box doing the legwork? Correct, but should you want to watch the SPL (some do!), Championship or La Liga then you'll be stuck in SD. The Mini box requires connecting via Broadband to activate the subscription and will only work for up to 48 hours without an internet connection. Not a problem if you're going to cable them as below.

Both the main box and the mini will take an Ethernet cable? Also correct.

Finally, are the cancellation offers all exclusive of getting Q? We have the box sets with internet, phone and all calls for £64.99 but the best I can get them to offer to add Q+Mini and Sports is £103 a month and £115 setup fee.
The offers you have on your account will carry over, but Sky Q MS is an 18 month contract so bare this in mind should you try to play the cancellation game.

Soldato
The offers you have on your account will carry over, but Sky Q MS is an 18 month contract so bare this in mind should you try to play the cancellation game.
Thanks MissChief.

What do you mean by "Sky Q MS"?

Not worried about the other games being in poor person quality, I'm really only interested in certain PL games and the F1. Though I image any deal on offer will include the HD bit anyway. Makes me laugh how they structure it (I broadcast PL for a living just for the PL themselves, not Sky lol).

The guy on the phone did mention the 18th month contract for the £103 a month.

I figure the worst that happens if I try to cancel (apart from them not trying to keep me at all!) is that I keep what we have and get a discount at least.

I'm not even that fussed at £100 a month for 6 months if it was x months at a lower rate. Going from giving them £780 a year to £1236 a year is a fair jump though.

From your understanding of things would a 50% discount for 12 months be possible on that 18 month deal then?

Man of Honour
The guy on the phone did mention the 18th month contract for the £103 a month.
The 18 month contract is on multiscreen, the actual package you sign up to is usually only 12 months. So there's nothing to stop you putting the packages down to more basic ones.

Back
Top Bottom