*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
I'm guessing there's no hurry at all to upgrade to Sky Q if I'm still happy with my 48" 1080p set? Can't fit a bigger TV anyway for next few years, and 4K at that size and my viewing distance is pointless. So will stick with plain old Sky HD.

Soldato
I have Sky Q and a mini box and am having a bit of a nightmare with wireless performance in the house. When I have really bad performance if I power off the mini box it suddenly improves, am assuming the device was connected to that for Wi-Fi and has now connected to the router or main Sky Q box. I am using wired networking to link everything, both ports on the router feed a switch, one downstairs with the main Sky Q box plugged in and one upstairs with the mini plugged in. All other devices plugged into the switches are working as expected. The mini and main box are wireless extenders but appear to be using the wireless instead of the cable to connect back to the router. It's quite difficult to confirm this though as it doesn't appear to tell you anywhere on the router webpage or Sky Q devices.

To try and fix this I've reset the network on the main box and selected wired connection when prompted and it completes, gets an IP address and shows the network name as the internal mesh name not my wireless SSID. All looking good so far. I then reset the network on the mini and it says to go press the wps button on one of the other devices regardless of the fact I have a network cable plugged in, it's the only thing you can do to progress it. It then shows the network as my main SSID. When I checked the main box again it now also shows the main SSID and not the internal mesh name.

So this leads me to believe it's not using the Ethernet at all. It's so frustrating as the wireless performance is worse than when I had Virgin. Anyone got any suggestions to fix this?

Soldato
If sky are wanting customers to come from the "normal sky" as they put it to the more premium lol they aren't doing a very good job of drawing me in with the high costs.
This was my issue, i renwed a normal HD box so im paying £33 for everything apart from sports, they were 'offering' me the same but with a Q box for 20 quid more and there was an installation fee. I want 4K but im not paying that much for it.

Soldato
This was my issue, i renwed a normal HD box so im paying £33 for everything apart from sports, they were 'offering' me the same but with a Q box for 20 quid more and there was an installation fee. I want 4K but im not paying that much for it.

Yup, sky were wanting another 20 notes and install fee , decided to try out virgin media for 12 months, everything except sky atlantic for £79 tv(2 boxes)/300mb broadband and phone, am paying sky and bt £138 as of now, no brainer to move really. :D

Soldato
https://news.sky.com/story/sky-and-netflix-agree-european-partnership-deal-11271587

The owner of Sky News has moved to bolster its customer experience further by signing a partnership deal with Netflix.

Sky plc said its subscribers using the ultra HD Sky Q platform in the UK and Ireland would have access to a new Sky subscription pack containing full Netflix content in the coming year.

The companies said they could combine their content side-by-side for the first time by integrating the Netflix app into Sky Q.

Netflix programmes would be promoted alongside that of Sky's - bringing together Sky shows such as Britannia, Billions and Big Little Lies with The Crown, Stranger Things and Black Mirror.

The deal builds on Sky's investment programme in Sky Q and a similar agreement announced this week with music streaming service Spotify.

Associate
https://news.sky.com/story/sky-and-netflix-agree-european-partnership-deal-11271587

The owner of Sky News has moved to bolster its customer experience further by signing a partnership deal with Netflix.

Sky plc said its subscribers using the ultra HD Sky Q platform in the UK and Ireland would have access to a new Sky subscription pack containing full Netflix content in the coming year.

The companies said they could combine their content side-by-side for the first time by integrating the Netflix app into Sky Q.

Netflix programmes would be promoted alongside that of Sky's - bringing together Sky shows such as Britannia, Billions and Big Little Lies with The Crown, Stranger Things and Black Mirror.

The deal builds on Sky's investment programme in Sky Q and a similar agreement announced this week with music streaming service Spotify.

Hmm, I've they offer it at a reduced price compared to normal it might convince me to get the UHD multiroom sub for Q. But Netlix through my tv gives Dolby Vision and atmos which I doubt Sky Q will ever offer (vision). They're only just about to start HDR.

Would be nice to have it all under the one subscription.

Soldato
Moving into an apartment soon, currently got Sky Q, it's an old converted house and I can't figure out whether the dish is communal and/or equipped for Sky Q, any way I can check, Landlord doesn't have a scooby and I've not seen anyone from the other two flats yet.

Will probably just end up taking my stuff up to test.

Soldato
I noticed in the last couple of days a couple of HD movie channels whilst watching live the picture glitches for a second and the sound cuts out anyone else experiencing this?

I haven't had it but my folks mentioned it to me yesterday whilst they were watching a film. Line across the screen then the audio kicking back in, kept making the Dolby surround popup appear in the top corner.

Man of Honour
I noticed in the last couple of days a couple of HD movie channels whilst watching live the picture glitches for a second and the sound cuts out anyone else experiencing this?

I noticed this Friday night watching Kill Bill. Picture was fine, but the audio was playing up so the Dolby Surround symbol kept appearing on my TV/Amp as if it was cutting out and back in again. It was only doing it on that one channel though

Don
Just had email to say boxsets is going up by £1.50...

I know costs etc go up, but Sky are the only company where it feels like almost monthly price rises :(

Slightly frustrating when I had not long negotiated a discount as felt it was costing me too much.

Caporegime
Hmm, I've they offer it at a reduced price compared to normal it might convince me to get the UHD multiroom sub for Q. But Netlix through my tv gives Dolby Vision and atmos which I doubt Sky Q will ever offer (vision). They're only just about to start HDR.

Would be nice to have it all under the one subscription.

Sky Q already do some stuff in Dolby Atmos, and have definitely said they will start broadcasting HDR content later in the year, although they have not said what format HDR they will be using as yet.

However, I would imagine Sky will have to allow the full range of Netflix content being shown through their hardware, so the HDR will have to be matching formats.

Caporegime
Just had email to say boxsets is going up by £1.50...

I know costs etc go up, but Sky are the only company where it feels like almost monthly price rises :(

Slightly frustrating when I had not long negotiated a discount as felt it was costing me too much.
Sky only put their standard prices up a maximum of once every 12 months. Monthly indeed!

Don
Sky only put their standard prices up a maximum of once every 12 months. Monthly indeed!

May be the official policy but my account disagrees (2 price rises in 2016, 2 price rises in 2015). Didn't keep track of 2017, but expect it was probably the same.

As I said "feels like almost monthly price rises" - maybe because as we get older years seem to go quicker :)

Caporegime
May be the official policy but my account disagrees (2 price rises in 2016, 2 price rises in 2015). Didn't keep track of 2017, but expect it was probably the same.

As I said "feels like almost monthly price rises" - maybe because as we get older years seem to go quicker :)
If that is your offers ending then you'e n paying the standard price!

Soldato
I haven't had it but my folks mentioned it to me yesterday whilst they were watching a film. Line across the screen then the audio kicking back in, kept making the Dolby surround popup appear in the top corner.

This is exactly it but only seems to be happening randomly, it was very apparent during suicide squad on Sunday afternoon.

Netflix supports Dolby Vision and HDR, but for live broadcasts sky would also have to adopt HLG.

It would make sense that they would offer all three depending on the source and hardware, BBC will be using HLG and I guess that football and F1 on sky will follow that however there is no reason Sky can't use the same method as Netflix for movies and TV shows. It would just mean that the end user would require an UHD premium certified (or a Sony gold UHD) set to receive all the different types.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is exactly it but only seems to be happening randomly, it was very apparent during suicide squad on Sunday afternoon.

Netflix supports Dolby Vision and HDR, but for live broadcasts sky would also have to adopt HLG.

It would make sense that they would offer all three depending on the source and hardware, BBC will be using HLG and I guess that football and F1 on sky will follow that however there is no reason Sky can't use the same method as Netflix for movies and TV shows. It would just mean that the end user would require an UHD premium certified (or a Sony gold UHD) set to receive all the different types.

That was the film they were watching it when they noticed it for the first time, wonder if it was down to the movie channels themselves.

Back
Top Bottom