*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Caporegime
This sounds quite fair, but should be automatically applied. From the way you describe it you have to actually ring up to tell them "Why, yes, I would like to not pay for re-runs, and keep to my existing contract length", rather than "Why no, I want you to assume I still want to pay full whack for re-runs, and keep to my existing contract length, same as if I'd rung you up to ask for the free pause".
You can do it online although as you'd imagine the website is swamped. Www.sky.com/pausesports

Soldato
Looks like SkyTV Germany are more generous than SkyUK

"The pay TV group is unlocking its Sky Cinema and Sky Entertainment services for home-bound viewers as the country goes into lockdown amid the coronavirus pandemic.

On Thursday, the company said that it would give all subscribers its Sky Cinema and Sky Entertainment packages for free for the next 30 days. The Sky Cinema package, which offers recent feature releases, normally retails for $37.73 (€34.99) per month, while the Sky Entertainment offering, which shows TV series including the likes of The Walking Dead and in-house production Babylon Berlin, normally goes for $26.95 (€24.99) a month.

In these troubling and unpredictable times, Sky has set itself the goal of continuing to accompany its customers through difficult times as best it can," the company said in a statement."

Soldato
Looks like SkyTV Germany are more generous than SkyUK

"The pay TV group is unlocking its Sky Cinema and Sky Entertainment services for home-bound viewers as the country goes into lockdown amid the coronavirus pandemic.

On Thursday, the company said that it would give all subscribers its Sky Cinema and Sky Entertainment packages for free for the next 30 days. The Sky Cinema package, which offers recent feature releases, normally retails for $37.73 (€34.99) per month, while the Sky Entertainment offering, which shows TV series including the likes of The Walking Dead and in-house production Babylon Berlin, normally goes for $26.95 (€24.99) a month.

In these troubling and unpredictable times, Sky has set itself the goal of continuing to accompany its customers through difficult times as best it can," the company said in a statement."
They’ll just be hoping people forget to cancel.

Also, is Cinema really that much more in Germany? You get get it for less than a tenner in the U.K.

Soldato
It looks like Sky have renamed their packages since I last subscribed. Can anyone confirm the following for me - it's all in preparation to me attempting to contact them next week.

Sky Signature:
This would give me Sky Entertainment, plus boxed sets and also "up to 80mb" uncapped broadband

Ultra HD + HD:
This would give me all available channels in HD and also give me access to UHD content - I know very little is broadcast at that rate, but I'd have access to UHD box sets and catch-up

Ultimate TV Add-On:
This would give me full access to Netflix and as I'd purchased the Ultra HD + HD package above, this would be the top-tier Netflix package offering UHD content

I'm looking to see if Sky would honour the above to an existing customer. This would put my bill to £51/month - currently my bill is about to hit £99.99/month and the only additional item to the above is multi-room, which I don't want and only ever took because I wanted UHD.

Cheers all.

Associate
Hi all

Could someone please help with these please:

1) Are the Sky Q multi room boxes 1080p or only 720?

2) Is there any difference between the 1TB Sky Q box and the 2TB Sky Q box?

3) Does the Sky Q multiroom boxes also have Netflix software built in?

4) I have the old Sky boxes before Sky Q. If I cancel Sky will the boxes still work and allow me to watch the free channels such as Sky News?

Thank you!

Caporegime
Hi all

Could someone please help with these please:

1) Are the Sky Q multi room boxes 1080p or only 720?

2) Is there any difference between the 1TB Sky Q box and the 2TB Sky Q box?

3) Does the Sky Q multiroom boxes also have Netflix software built in?

4) I have the old Sky boxes before Sky Q. If I cancel Sky will the boxes still work and allow me to watch the free channels such as Sky News?

Thank you!
1. They’re 1080p output (actual broadcast is still limited to 1080i)
2. Other than more recording space, they’re now identical with support for UHD and two simultaneous mini boxes.
3. Yes.
4. You would need to ask that a hybrid LNB is installed to maintain your Freesat viewing but no sky subscription channels will be viewable.

Associate
Thank you MissCheif. If you dont mind, I have one more question which is a bit more technical. Sounds like you know your stuff.

I currently have 2 old sky+ boxes. Each one feeds into two tvs each using a splitter system and the signal is sent over cat 6 then back into hdmi before it gets to the second tv. Can I still do the same thing with the Sky Q box and the new multiroom boxes?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Since I imagine call centres are closed will it be any easier for people wanting to cancel online?

I do like sky but struggling to justify it these days. The movies have been horrendous for a start.
Just a tip as i used to cancel sky every 12 months for years on end and go to new customer deals each time, you can bypass all of their script by simply saying that you are moving abroad. Its not worth entering into the script, they'll go on for ages. This way you will be able to easily cancel very quickly via live chat.

Soldato
Just a tip as i used to cancel sky every 12 months for years on end and go to new customer deals each time, you can bypass all of their script by simply saying that you are moving abroad. Its not worth entering into the script, they'll go on for ages. This way you will be able to easily cancel very quickly via live chat.

Good tip thanks. Will do that.

Associate
What are you guys being charged for Sky Cinema and Sky HD at the moment? Due to the coronavirus situation, Sky have removed sign up to new Sky TV services from their website - so I can't see the prices anymore.

I tried to get hold of Sky to discuss my current Sky Q charges and the price increases next month – basically I’m not happy with the cost and the poor investment in subtitles (I'm way out of contract).
Box Sets £41.50 (increasing to £44.90 in April)
Cinema £19.00
Multiscreen £13.00 (increasing to £14.00 in April)
TOTAL £73.50 (increasing to £77.90 in April)

I appreciate that there are challenges at the moment, but I requested contact via chat to cancel Sky (they use Facebook messenger for chat) 11:50am Saturday and finally got a response 15:23 Sunday (the only sodding hour I've been out of the house on a walk all week - so I'm responding on a phone).

I complained about the lack of investment in subtitles. The agent told me that Sky put more money into subtitles that most other providers and said he was told that Sky Q is the best for subtitles.
So I explained to him that Sky’s subtitle engine is over 15 years old. The text is huge on today’s larger screens and appears a third of the way up the screen. Sky have still not got subtitles working with UHD or any of the on-demand services (Netflix, ITV, etc). The only thing they have done in the last 5 years that I’m aware is that there has been an increase in subtitles for the box sets (HD, not UHD). He wasn’t aware that subtitles didn’t work for UHD. I explained that Netflix, Amazon, BBC all provide subtitles with UHD.

Anyway – I explained that because of the lack of subtitles, we don’t make use of the UHD content, so I wanted that dropped from the package along with the Kids channels. From what I last saw on the current new packages Sky HD is £4, Sky HD + UHD is £8.
I’m then told that UHD is automatically part of the bundle with Sky Q multi-room. He will take UHD off, but it won’t make a difference to the price?!
I complained that he was trying to adjust my old package (no UHD for zero reduction, minus £5 for kids) instead of looking at the latest bundles - so then I get offered 18 month contract:

Sky TV Signature £24 (It was £25 when last seen on the Sky website)
Sky HD £6 (It was £4 when last seen on the website)
Multiroom £14
Cinema £19 (It was £11 when last seen on the website)
Total £63

I mentioned about the Cinema being £11 not £19 and he advised that it’s "not populating on my account", but a manager can apply it. This would bring it down to £55, but I’m concerned at this point as I’ve really had to fight to get this far and requested that a manager called back. There's no attempt to provide a real "offer". He questioned what I would want a manager for and said that it might take longer than 72 hours for a manager to respond.
:(
At this point I gave up and asked to just cancel, which he promptly did.

Soldato
Misschief does sky signature include basic Netflix or is it only sky ultimate that includes Netflix?

I have sky q and 2 boxes and now only see sky signature and multiroom on my bill

Is this because Sky Q UHD is part of the sky signature cost?

Caporegime
Misschief does sky signature include basic Netflix or is it only sky ultimate that includes Netflix?

I have sky q and 2 boxes and now only see sky signature and multiroom on my bill

Signature is basic Netflix. I've been away from the direct to home side for nearly nine months so my knowledge of the new packages isn't great I'm afraid.

Soldato

There is now a "Sky UHD + HD" pack - which I'm assuming would upgrade your Netflix to the UHD version?

Back
Top Bottom