*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Associate
i just cancelled my sky after a mysterious increase in price could'nt be explained.

Went from £64 /month to £80 / month. When i rang up the lady she said thats the normal price.. for Entertainment + sports + normal BB + HD :O

Decided just to cancel everything except the BB ,but might change BB to BT so i can least watch some footy like random Fulham/Norwich games or something lol (MANU fan).

Was offerered a £6 discount (so £74! ) ^.^ which i declined.

If you've been a sky customer for a while its worth ringing up to find what they are charging you for each option because none of the numbers she was stating were anything like current advertised prices on the sky website, think they just make up the numbers some times.

Soldato
My half-price new customer deal has expired now after one year, my next bill is at £31.75. I'm assuming the chances of me getting any kind of discount now after a year of half-price are pretty-much zero? I don't really want to cancel as I do get good use out of it.

Can give them a call I suppose, no harm in it.

Soldato
On the flipside, I've just cancelled BT and gone back to Sky, The Youview box is an abortion and it's been a thorn in my side for 12 months with random freezing, dreadful user interface, noisy box and more recently the picture keeps cutting out, final straw was having to deal with the BT Vision call centre in India which is one of the worst I've ever experienced.

Associate
My half-price new customer deal has expired now after one year, my next bill is at £31.75. I'm assuming the chances of me getting any kind of discount now after a year of half-price are pretty-much zero? I don't really want to cancel as I do get good use out of it.

Can give them a call I suppose, no harm in it.

It's possible to keep getting half price or better deals. I joined on a half price friends and family deal 4 years ago and I have had either 50% or 75% off every year since then.

I always phone up to cancel 30 days before my offer is due to expire and they either give you a deal on the phone or you go through with your cancellation and often during the 30 day notice period Sky will ring with an offer. There was only 1 year where I had to fully cancel but I had a deal in the post after 3-4 weeks for 75% off.

Soldato
Way to go sky, i got a massive £8 off for the whole of 3 months :rolleyes: yet they put my subs up another £3 so a super dooper savings of just £5 for another two months is really a good way to keep customers.

Soldato
lol sky just get even more retarded.

You can have Entertainment Extra+, i all ready have Entertainment Extra, but you get the HD channels free with + :confused:, yet it's still the same price on what i am paying now £54, so not a penny of saving :confused::confused:.

Sky are idiots.:mad:

Caporegime
lol sky just get even more retarded.

You can have Entertainment Extra+, i all ready have Entertainment Extra, but you get the HD channels free with + :confused:, yet it's still the same price on what i am paying now £54, so not a penny of saving :confused::confused:.

Sky are idiots.:mad:

imo people who still haven't cottoned onto the fact that sky will never ever match or beat new customer deals are idiots.

same goes for virgin media, etc too.

you should never ever stay loyal and you should never ever outstay your minimum contract length 99% of the time.

i phoned virgin media to cancel saying i was getting a better deal with sky and i knew there was no way they could match it so i wanted to cancel.

they then said just hold on a minute and tell me what your getting, after telling them they said wow that is a good price, i could offer you the same package but with 30 or 60MB broadband instead of the adsl sky are offering for 3 times the price, why would i pay 3 times as much money just to have the same package but with better internet?

so they accepted my 30 day notice.

15 days later another phone call this time they phoned me, and the managed to drop their price to 2.5 times what the sky deal was.

their should be a sticky made with this info in it tbh, the number of people who ask the same stuff over and over again is unbelievable.

loyalty = paying more than new customers

it's the way their whole system works, taking advantage of lazy people who cannot be bothered to change every time their contract is up.

the people on the phone have no power to beat new customer deals, they are there to basically fool you into a new contract at price which is more than what new customers pay for the exact same service.

Last edited:
Soldato
loyalty = paying more than new customers

Totally agree everything posted.

Just put a phone reminder 30 days before the end of contact to call and cancel. They will phone you or be prepared to do a 10min hunt for half price codes.

Been doing it for 3 years now, cycle between my GF and my name. Cancel and got offered a dumb deal. Missus signed up new with better deal. Done. Last year, she called to cancel - 24 hours later she was offered better deal, half price and we get to keep F1 channel without Sports sub.

Not doing anything is to sit and burning money away.

Associate
i phoned virgin media to cancel saying i was getting a better deal with sky and i knew there was no way they could match it so i wanted to cancel.

That's a huge amount of bargaining power many of us don't have. I don't have credit cards in another person's name either :eek:

Soldato
Totally agree everything posted.

Just put a phone reminder 30 days before the end of contact to call and cancel. They will phone you or be prepared to do a 10min hunt for half price codes.

Been doing it for 3 years now, cycle between my GF and my name. Cancel and got offered a dumb deal. Missus signed up new with better deal. Done. Last year, she called to cancel - 24 hours later she was offered better deal, half price and we get to keep F1 channel without Sports sub.

Not doing anything is to sit and burning money away.
So you cancel, and they renew under the other person's name?

So - as a new customer/install - when Sky then talk about coming along to install their dish and box you say what each time?

Back
Top Bottom