*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Yeah although I only have TV (no Sky LLU in my area).

This was the third retainer call after I had cancelled. I still turned it down as 50% off still isn't as good as a new F&F with another new box. They would have needed to go to more like 60% off, which they wouldn't do :)

Soldato
I'm going to sign up as a new customer when we move in the New Year. I have a F&F code to give me 50% off the full package (thanks to MissCheif & Rapier!). I am thinking of going to Plus Net for broadband and phone as they are cheaper than Sky. Couple of questions:

Can I go via Quidco, then use my F&F code?

How do people find PlusNet?

Caporegime
thanks for that.

Wonder how it would work keeping the broadband/phone number etc but cancelling the TV package?

Or do I need to cancel the whole thing? Would I loose my existing number etc?

Your better off cancelling the whole thing as you get 50% off everything.

I managed to keep the same number of my in laws when I did it for them, but when it came to my own home, I had to switch numbers, but I was with Virgin.

If you want to keep the same number, you need to cancel first and then arrange your connection to be activated the day after it is disconnected or on the day it is disconnected would be my guess.

It's far easier just changing number I find, far less cold calls and pretty easy to text or email your new number to whoever needs it.

I'm going to sign up as a new customer when we move in the New Year. I have a F&F code to give me 50% off the full package (thanks to MissCheif & Rapier!). I am thinking of going to Plus Net for broadband and phone as they are cheaper than Sky. Couple of questions:

Can I go via Quidco, then use my F&F code?

How do people find PlusNet?

I went through quidco and used F and F code and got like £150 cashback, although at the time they had an offer on for like £300 cashback by the time it came to paying up they done it at the rate on that day rather than what it tracked at.

Soldato
Your better off cancelling the whole thing as you get 50% off everything.

I managed to keep the same number of my in laws when I did it for them, but when it came to my own home, I had to switch numbers, but I was with Virgin.

If you want to keep the same number, you need to cancel first and then arrange your connection to be activated the day after it is disconnected or on the day it is disconnected would be my guess.

It's far easier just changing number I find, far less cold calls and pretty easy to text or email your new number to whoever needs it.

ok cheers - new number wouldn't bother me but i know the missus would take the hump with that!:D

Man of Honour
Have any of you got rid of tv totaly? And if so how have you found it. Most of what i watch is repeats, for big series i like to wait till they finish then watch it all in a few weeks.

So really thinking of binning tv and saving ~100 a month and just doing on demand, netflix and 3dvd at a time lovefilm.

Caporegime
Have any of you got rid of tv totaly? And if so how have you found it. Most of what i watch is repeats, for big series i like to wait till they finish then watch it all in a few weeks.

So really thinking of binning tv and saving ~100 a month and just doing on demand, netflix and 3dvd at a time lovefilm.

Been doing that for the past 5 years. It's fine. If I ever watch to watch something live I go online.

The only down side is SD quality. Small window and you are using your desktop space to watch things. It also means if you want to out it on the TV, you either use a HDMI out, or airplay to Apple TV.

I am having sky installed tomorrow, so I can have the news on the background or something without having the computer on. Then again, I don't pay £100 a month for sky, I only went for the basic package.

Caporegime
even with EE+, BT sport, full sport and movie packages, fibre broadband unlimited and top phone package and line rental wouldn't be near £100 on a new customer deal.

more like £70 a month i reckon after quidco.

take away the sports and movies your talking £30-40 a month after quidco.

if your paying £100 a month for sky your doing it wrong

Soldato
I went through quidco and used F and F code and got like £150 cashback, although at the time they had an offer on for like £300 cashback by the time it came to paying up they done it at the rate on that day rather than what it tracked at.

Great, cheers mate. Where exactly do i put the code then, is there a box at the end I sling it in, and it just discounts everything?

Caporegime
Great, cheers mate. Where exactly do i put the code then, is there a box at the end I sling it in, and it just discounts everything?

There should be a box at the review page or at the basket page.

I cant remember but it's pretty much right there in front of you, hard to miss if your looking for it where they usually are.

Soldato
I just phoned to cancel what I have and was told that if I cancel the tv, phone and broadband, a new provider won't be able to take it over during the cancellation period and it would take up to 4 weeks after the cancellation date to get my phone and broadband back again, is that right?

I've currently got:
Sky HD
Multiroom
Sports
20mb Fibre
Line Rental

Wanted to cancel it all, then sign up via F&F in the missus' name to get the discount, the guy on the phone basically said I can cancel the TV but if I cancel the phone and broadband I'll be stuck for 4 weeks without it? Surely that's not right?

The most they offered me to stay was 20% for 12 months.

Caporegime
they always say that, it's one of their tactics to stop you from cancelling.

i managed to switch over no problems as did my in laws. seriously practices like that are illegal, stopping a competing company from taking over the contract, or stopping a new home owner from taking out a service.

if they ever ask you just say you are moving out and person B is moving in and wants sky.

Soldato
Ah ok, so I can tell them to cancel TV, phone line and fibre then sign up again as a new customer online and have no issues getting the internet and phone line up and running with no or little down time?

I'm tempted to move the internet and phone over to BT Infinity or plusnet to get BT Sport channels, works out either £75pcm or £56pcm (after cashback) for everything.

Caporegime
pretty much.

i got told some crap from virgin about nobody at the same address can sign up to VM within 3 months of a contract being cancelled or something like that.

i mean if you sold your home to a new owner and the new owner wanted VM do you think they would turn him away to Sky?

seriously you have to be gullible to fall for their "sales talk" over the phone, they will try anything to keep you paying over the odds.

Caporegime
Sky can do an 'active line takeover' but you WILL get a new phone number. It's also true that if you cancel your talk and broadband then it takes two weeks to cancel then two weeks to be provisioned by your new supplier.

Soldato
I cancelled my Sky subscription back at the end of October so it ended just over two weeks ago on 30th November, had two offers of 50% off since then but decided it wasn't enough, got a call yesterday initially offering 50%, when I said no he reduced that to 75% off, so now I'm gonna have BT Infinity fibre (rather than Sky unlimited non-fibre adsl), and the a couple of extra sky channels (got sports as well as EE+) for ~£20 a month less than I was paying after my initial deal ran out. And no contract as well, not bad :)

Back
Top Bottom