*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Soldato
I barely watched any broadcast TV before I had Sky. Top Gear, 8 Out Of 10 Cats and Traffic Cops was about all that was worth watching. Channel 4 and 5 have had one or two decent US series but for the most part, they're all on Sky. I honestly don't know how people can find they don't have anything to watch on Sky; sure there's a whole lot of rubbish and lots of repeats, but there's plenty of new stuff and unless you're torrenting, it's the only way you're going to see most new US dramas.

That said, I did get good use of Netflix before I had Sky, and that was over a year ago before they started adding better stuff to it.

Caporegime
The majority of channels just show re-runs and I refuse to watch crap for the sake of watching something.

Most of the shows I like are hardly ever on at the same time or they take mid season breaks or are in between seasons whilst the others are on, etc.

e.g. Boardwalk empire just ended and the following and mob city have just started up. the walking dead is on a mid season break and has been for a while. game of thrones is in between seasons and has been for quite a while now.

i used to watch top gear but gone off it along with a few other programmes like have i got news for you.

i like dispatches, food unwrapped and misfits on FTA and a few others like citizen khan but it's not enough to get you through a week, misfits is finished for now as well as is citizen khan.

the taste looked good but it doesn't really teach you anything but that could be because there are too many contestants and too many challenges in such a short programme.

most of the stuff i like is on subscriptions channels like atlantic, syfy and a few others but even then there isn't enough quality programming out there and it's mostly re-runs and i never watch the same thing twice unless i'm really bored.

they need to start making more new epic series like breaking bad, deadwood and the wire.

luther and sherlock are good on the bbc but so short and so far between seasons you forget about them.

Quality > Quantity

but having more channels means you have more stuff to choose from and out of all that stuff you will find a few quality shows which means more access to quality.

Associate
I don't think I have switched my TV on since the F1 season finished. I watch Top Gear and the F1. I used to watch Arrow but I found I could download it a week before it aired in the UK so I just tend to do that now. Still paying a Sky subscription for some reason though. I argue that just in case I want to find something to watch, rather than play a game, read a book or listen to music... which is rare, that its there for me.

Soldato
Well I guess it's my turn to do this today. Hopefully it doesn't result in my actually cancelling, but if it does, at least I've got a few new Blu-ray boxsets to tide me over, plus Netflix have just offered me another free trial to get me back so I can use that for a month!

I'll report back...

Soldato
I'd love to have Sky, particularly for the Sports. However, my main gripe is that I'd only watch the sports for Rugby League, not especially interested in football etc. So what that means is that I would be paying ~£65 pcm to get sky sports in HD.

It's just completely not worth it, unfortunately. :( I can't justify that amount of money.

Soldato
To be fair, it's not really an issue if you record everything. I very, very rarely actually sit and watch stuff as it's being broadcast; the whole point of Sky is that you just record whatever you want and watch it at your leisure. Ad breaks just mean 10 seconds of fast-forwarding.

Soldato
I called up the other day and had a chat to a nice girl. Plead poverty etc and after some too'ing and fro'ing, and a little bit of flirting(;);)) I ended up getting my package down from around £100 a month (full tv, broadband and phone) to around £75 a month.

Basically got multiroom for free for a year (£11.25 saving a month), Broadband down £2.50 a month, and phone line rental down £10 a month.

Had to re-contract the phone and broadband for another year - no hassle here as I'm happy with both, no new contract on the TV so I can still cancel that.

Happy enough with that for now - £300 a year saving for 15 mins phone call.

Man of Honour
I'd love to have Sky, particularly for the Sports. However, my main gripe is that I'd only watch the sports for Rugby League, not especially interested in football etc. So what that means is that I would be paying ~£65 pcm to get sky sports in HD.

It's just completely not worth it, unfortunately. :( I can't justify that amount of money.

My thoughts are very similar, although I do watch football as well as Rugby League (and the darts when it's on!). It makes it very hard for them to offer any package changes when you call up when you tell them you're only interested in HD sports and don't watch any other TV!

Having said that, I've never paid more than about £35 a month, which for me is just about worth it. That's as a result of F&F discount for the first year (although you could probably just about replicate that with the current standard discount plus a couple of hundred back from Quidco), and calling to cancel once that period was up (they offered 50% off for another 12 months after a call-back).

Associate
i rang up last week to take off movies and sports.

they offered me some kind of deal that knocks £10 a month off for 9 months.

wanted more but they wouldnt budge.

I just did this myself. We have had the sports since day one and then added the movies for over Christmas. Canceled both of them in the efforts to try and save some money this year. They phoned back yesterday to offer me both the movies and sports for £15 per month for 12 months.

I accepted.

Soldato
OP
well this thread really went on and on didn't it....

Well I cancelled my subscription again as they could not meet my current deal, which is 50% off and £5 for HD in total around £33 a month for the sky world HD package.

I told them to cancel it, they said I could ring back 24/7 if I changed my mind and I told them they can ring me if they change their mind and give me the same deal!

I will cancel again and wait for the 50% or 75% offer to come through the post!

Associate
Do people get the 50% off yearly for real?

Or are you BS'ing?

Surely not, it would show on their system.

I am after one of the new sky HD boxes, looking at the site it's £199 + £60 installation for me.

I already have multiroom and movies and sports so can't get the reduced fee of £50 for taking out multiroom. Anyone know how I can get the box cheaper?

Man of Honour
My offer was 50% off TV and Sport, but not the HD pack, so it's slightly more expensive for this year than it was when I had 50% off everything with F&F. Still, though, I was only a few days into the 30 day cancellation notice period when they called and offered this. I was surprised they did, having had a big discount for the first year.

Soldato
My offer was 50% off TV and Sport, but not the HD pack, so it's slightly more expensive for this year than it was when I had 50% off everything with F&F. Still, though, I was only a few days into the 30 day cancellation notice period when they called and offered this. I was surprised they did, having had a big discount for the first year.

And you can phone up anytime during this 30 day cancellation period to retract the cancellation request? (eg: The last day?)

Back
Top Bottom