*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Soldato
I cancelled my Sky subscription back at the end of October so it ended just over two weeks ago on 30th November, had two offers of 50% off since then but decided it wasn't enough, got a call yesterday initially offering 50%, when I said no he reduced that to 75% off, so now I'm gonna have BT Infinity fibre (rather than Sky unlimited non-fibre adsl), and the a couple of extra sky channels (got sports as well as EE+) for ~£20 a month less than I was paying after my initial deal ran out. And no contract as well, not bad :)

When you cancelled did you cancel tv/fibre/phone all at once? Did Sky not try the "you can't cancel your phone line and internet as you'll be stuck for 4 weeks without either" like they did to me?

Soldato
I don't recall them saying that, but in the end I called up and cancelled everything (so tv, phone and internets due to end on November 30th), then went to the BT website and ordered the fibre, they offered me the option of doing it as early as November the 10th but in the end I set it as 14th.

Then somepoint between 23:00 on the 13th and 06:00 on the 14th my Sky internet/phone line stopped working, then Fibre was installed/working around 14:00 on the 14th and the phone got a dial tone back overnight again, so 1 day without phone service and got fibre as soon as the engineer came to install it (that was a new fibre install though, so maybe different if you've already got fibre and they just need to switch, although presumably that'd just be the ~24 hours like the phone was...)

EDIT: Forgot to add, that also got me a ~£12.50 'credit' on Sky, which I didn't know about until the guy yesterday told me my first bill on the 1st January will be nothing and then starting properly on the 1st Feb :)

Soldato
Spoke to someone on their Live Chat who said there is no such thing as an "Active Line Takeover" and that I would have to cancel my line and then the "new tenant" would have to take out a new line which comes at a cost of £20 (activation fee).

So I thought ok, fair enough, £20 isn't too bad. Went online and what's staring me in the face when I've added everything to my basket?

7cur.png

So hopefully Sky will contact me to ask if it's ok for the "new tenant" to takeover the line on the specified date and have no downtime.

£70pcm for Sky Entertainment Extra+, Movies, Sports, Multiroom, 20mb Fibre, Line Rental and hopefully topcashback tracks and Sky pay out as that will drop it to £52pcm. Much better than what I was paying! Could also sell the 2 HD boxes that will be coming and pay yearly for line rental to get it to around £35pcm.

Do I need to move the current HD boxes or can I just ask the engineer to leave the new ones wrapped up?

Soldato
i rang up last week to take off movies and sports.

they offered me some kind of deal that knocks £10 a month off for 9 months.

wanted more but they wouldnt budge.

Caporegime
Everyone in the house couldn't care less about sky now we have gone freesat.Even though everyone was kicking off etc...

Best move I ever made. No monthly Bill and quiet in the knowledge all the crap like strictly and the like is not getting paid for :D

95% of watching habits was Free to air channels.

The humax boxes have been great and everyone is getting on fine with them recording etc...

Caporegime
Well if you were watching 95% FTA then you would obviously be far better off.

If it's 95% subscription then not at all.

I think the ultimate budget setup is some form of HD FTA and high speed broadband so you can just torrent all the subscription stuff quickly.

Caporegime
Well if you were watching 95% FTA then you would obviously be far better off.

If it's 95% subscription then not at all.

I think the ultimate budget setup is some form of HD FTA and high speed broadband so you can just torrent all the subscription stuff quickly.

I'm lucky...I'm not interested in sports and the movies have all been seen :D

Sky Arts? Well thats just re-runs od Queen in concert and the Doors documentaires :p

I get far more stimulation watching BBC4 HD if I'm honest :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Everyone in the house couldn't care less about sky now we have gone freesat.Even though everyone was kicking off etc...

Best move I ever made. No monthly Bill and quiet in the knowledge all the crap like strictly and the like is not getting paid for :D

95% of watching habits was Free to air channels.

The humax boxes have been great and everyone is getting on fine with them recording etc...

Strictly is BBC im afraid ;)

Soldato
Thats my point...I was paying for Free to air channels with a sky subscription!

....Well its not free to air really as its covered by the TV licence but I think i get you. All thats watched in our household is channels 1-5, im seriously tempted to cancel soon aswell. The movies are garbage and ive already seen 90% of them and Ill just stream sports to be honest.

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm paying 37 for basically what is the old package that is now wrapped up in the Extra+ package which is 32.

What is the approach to take? They said that I would have to sign up for 12 more months to get the 32 quid a month version.

Do I just cancel and let the offers come in from the retention managers?

Caporegime
....Well its not free to air really as its covered by the TV licence but I think i get you. All thats watched in our household is channels 1-5, im seriously tempted to cancel soon aswell. The movies are garbage and ive already seen 90% of them and Ill just stream sports to be honest.

My dad had sky and didn't want to give it up for the Racing Channel and others.

I built him a HTPC and he sits there on saturday afternoon streaming all the horse racing he wants over the net . I bought him a wireless keyboard and mouse and plugged the HTPC into his 50" samsung.

He sits in his arm chair having a bet a cuppa tea and streaming it all.He is delighted!

Caporegime
Apart from the odd programme most TV is crap just there to take up time.

Most channels show re runs all day long with very little new content.

Sky excels at live sports and having all the top American series, those two I am willing to pay for.

It's just very expensive unless you're on a discounted rate.

I find FTA channels are mainly just garbage and its the same stuff with new faces, big bro, I'm a celebrity, strictly, Britain's got talent, etc.

EastEnders and all other shows like it are just awful.

There's very little I can find worth watching on FTA , subscription channels offer more choice and there's so many channels that you can usually record enough to tide you over.

Caporegime
Apart from the odd programme most TV is crap just there to take up time.

Most channels show re runs all day long with very little new content.

Sky excels at live sports and having all the top American series, those two I am willing to pay for.

It's just very expensive unless you're on a discounted rate.

I find FTA channels are mainly just garbage and its the same stuff with new faces, big bro, I'm a celebrity, strictly, Britain's got talent, etc.

EastEnders and all other shows like it are just awful.

There's very little I can find worth watching on FTA , subscription channels offer more choice and there's so many channels that you can usually record enough to tide you over.

I disagree

Subscription channels offer more choice...but more choice is not always good when the choice is not good. In fact its To much choice makes us "paralyzed, not happier but more dissatisfied."

I find this with my music collection....and spotify...I spend to much time choosing rather than actually listening

This is called the paradox of choice

http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice.html

Back
Top Bottom